+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card urgent renewal - awkward situation - need advice

Adam479

Apr 3, 2015
Dear all,

I'm in a bit of stressful situation. I am renewing my PR card and planning to leave the country soon. I would really appreciate it if you could share your thoughts/experience:

1. My parents are depressed - My dad is refusing to eat and my mother has become hysterical about all of this. They are NOT getting medical help for this (my dad insists he will not go anywhere) and which is why I have to go visit them to address this situation. How do I prove this situation is urgent to IRCC?

2. Can I write urgent on my PR renewal application and send it out (I need to do this ASAP while I'm in Canada) and then use the webform to attach my itinerary and a letter of explanation? If the application is received and not deemed urgent (as I don't have all the documents for urgent processing) will they return the application to me or will they process it as a regular case?

3. Can I send my PR renewal application as regular and then later use the webform to present my case for urgent processing?

Any help, thoughts, suggestions would greatly be appreciated from the bottom of my heart.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Are you in compliance with residency obligation?

At any rate - even urgent card application will take some time. Apply now, then travel. When you arrive wherever you are going, apply for prtd - this is exactly one of the scenarios it's meant for.

Do it this way and you can depart in a matter of days. It jist won't be certain how soon you can return with prtd processing time.

I'm assuming in compliance with prtd.

Reactions: Adam479

Adam479

Apr 3, 2015
Are you in compliance with residency obligation?

At any rate - even urgent card application will take some time. Apply now, then travel. When you arrive wherever you are going, apply for prtd - this is exactly one of the scenarios it's meant for.

Do it this way and you can depart in a matter of days. It jist won't be certain how soon you can return with prtd processing time.

I'm assuming in compliance with prtd.
Thanks, Armoured, you're a true hero for taking the time to help clarify things. I do fulfill the residency obligation, no problem there.

"At any rate - even urgent card application will take some time. Apply now, then travel. When you arrive wherever you are going, apply for prtd - this is exactly one of the scenarios it's meant for."

I agree. But If I put urgent on the envelope but don't have documents to support it - will they return my application to me or proceed with regular processing?

I plan to go to Bangladesh. My plan is I will depart from there to the US and then cross into Canada via private transport as the PRTD processing seems to have a very wide range of processing time from what I've been able to see from recent cases. Nonetheless, I need to return at most by 3 weeks and return to work here in Canada. My goal is if only they would provide me the Acknowledgement of Receipt by the time I get back in terms of trying to justify to immigration authorities there and perhaps the US that I'm a PR in Canada and my renewal is in process. Otherwise, I can only show my courier service's tracking information that my application has been received...don't know if that would be convincing enough.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks, Armoured, you're a true hero for taking the time to help clarify things. I do fulfill the residency obligation, no problem there.

"At any rate - even urgent card application will take some time. Apply now, then travel. When you arrive wherever you are going, apply for prtd - this is exactly one of the scenarios it's meant for."

I agree. But If I put urgent on the envelope but don't have documents to support it - will they return my application to me or proceed with regular processing?

I plan to go to Bangladesh. My plan is I will depart from there to the US and then cross into Canada via private transport as the PRTD processing seems to have a very wide range of processing time from what I've been able to see from recent cases. Nonetheless, I need to return at most by 3 weeks and return to work here in Canada. My goal is if only they would provide me the Acknowledgement of Receipt by the time I get back in terms of trying to justify to immigration authorities there and perhaps the US that I'm a PR in Canada and my renewal is in process. Otherwise, I can only show my courier service's tracking information that my application has been received...don't know if that would be convincing enough.
As long as you’re compliant with your RO you should have no problem crossing the border. You can show that you’ve submitted your PR card renewal.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Don't know but assume they just won't process it faster (i.e. won't reject).

My plan is I will depart from there to the US and then cross into Canada via private transport as the PRTD processing seems to have a very wide range of processing time from what I've been able to see from recent cases. Nonetheless, I need to return at most by 3 weeks and return to work here in Canada. My goal is if only they would provide me the Acknowledgement of Receipt by the time I get back in terms of trying to justify to immigration authorities there
If you can return via the USA, then no issue really and you won't be reliant on PRTD processing.

I'm not clear what 'iimmigration authorities' you're referring to but your expired PR document should be enough. They may ask you a few more questions, but if you're compliant, there should be no issue. Might be nice to retain a copy of your PR card renewal app and have it to hand (you could easily show RO compliance that way) - but you don't need AOR.

If your question si about immigration authorities in other countries - no idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123

Adam479

Apr 3, 2015
Don't know but assume they just won't process it faster (i.e. won't reject).

If you can return via the USA, then no issue really and you won't be reliant on PRTD processing.

I'm not clear what 'iimmigration authorities' you're referring to but your expired PR document should be enough. They may ask you a few more questions, but if you're compliant, there should be no issue. Might be nice to retain a copy of your PR card renewal app and have it to hand (you could easily show RO compliance that way) - but you don't need AOR.

If your question si about immigration authorities in other countries - no idea.
Agreed.

I'll have with me everything related to my PR. I'm hoping they won't really ask me too many questions, especially the Bangladesh -> USA route.

THANK YOU for all your help with my situation. You're awesome.