+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card timelines

viking123

Feb 20, 2017
Good day!

How long does it take to receive the PR card after landing as an immigrant?

And will there be any issues to enter Canada without a PR card?

Thanks

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
it can take anywhere from 1-6 months. there really isn't any consistency to it.

if you are flying to canada and you don't have a PR card, you need to apply for a PR Travel Document in order to board a plane. you can present your COPR at immigration when you get to canada.

if you are driving to canada, then all that is needed to enter is your COPR and Passport.

viking123

Feb 20, 2017
We are planning to go the closest border once the COPR letter is issued and get all the formalities done. However, my wife is planning to go back to her home country immediately once she get the PR. This PR travel document as suggested will work in this case as well or should we wait for her to get the PR card and then make any plans on leaving the country.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
viking123 said:
We are planning to go the closest border once the COPR letter is issued and get all the formalities done. However, my wife is planning to go back to her home country immediately once she get the PR. This PR travel document as suggested will work in this case as well or should we wait for her to get the PR card and then make any plans on leaving the country.
if she plans to fly back after landing, and still doesn't have her pr card by the time she plans to return to canada, she needs to apply for a PR travel document to board a plane back to canada.

viking123

Feb 20, 2017
OK thanks.

How long does it take to get the PR Travel document?

Are you able to provide me with a web-link for the PR Travel document requirements and application?

Thanks

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
viking123 said:
OK thanks.

How long does it take to get the PR Travel document?

Are you able to provide me with a web-link for the PR Travel document requirements and application?

Thanks
no idea. though i don't think it takes a long time.

try googling "PR Travel Document Canada". I'm sure it will pull up a link for you.

bananaoatmeal

Star Member
Nov 7, 2016
If a person gets approved and receives COPR for the first time, a PR travel document is still necessary to board a plane? Or you just need COPR to do it?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
bananaoatmeal said:
If a person gets approved and receives COPR for the first time, a PR travel document is still necessary to board a plane? Or you just need COPR to do it?
a person trying to board a plane to canada needs either their pr card or a PR travel document. if a PR does not have their pr card yet, they need to apply for a PR travel document to board the plane. the airline will not allow a person to board a plane with the COPR, as it is not valid for traveling. Only US citizens are exempt from needing PR travel documents.

bananaoatmeal

Star Member
Nov 7, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
a person trying to board a plane to canada needs either their pr card or a PR travel document. if a PR does not have their pr card yet, they need to apply for a PR travel document to board the plane. the airline will not allow a person to board a plane with the COPR, as it is not valid for traveling. Only US citizens are exempt from needing PR travel documents.
Ah, that's so weird then. Right before you get accepted for permanent residence, they request your passport. Isn't that for giving a PR travel document for one entry? Or I'll additionally have to apply for a PR travel document before the first flight to Canada? I'm totally new at this, thank you for the answers.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
bananaoatmeal said:
Ah, that's so weird then. Right before you get accepted for permanent residence, they request your passport. Isn't that for giving a PR travel document for one entry? Or I'll additionally have to apply for a PR travel document before the first flight to Canada? I'm totally new at this, thank you for the answers.
oh, sorry i misread your other question. you do not need a PR travel document when you are traveling to Canada to land as a PR. When the applicant receives their passport back, there will be a visa counterfoil stamped in it. that counterfoil will allow the person to board the plane to land as a PR.

It's AFTER landing as a pr and BEFORE receiving the PR Card a person must apply for a PR Travel Doc.

bananaoatmeal

Star Member
Nov 7, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
oh, sorry i misread your other question. you do not need a PR travel document when you are traveling to Canada to land as a PR. When the applicant receives their passport back, there will be a visa counterfoil stamped in it. that counterfoil will allow the person to board the plane to land as a PR.

It's AFTER landing as a pr and BEFORE receiving the PR Card a person must apply for a PR Travel Doc.
Ok, that's what I thought, makes sense. Thank you. :)

viking123

Feb 20, 2017
Great discussion folks.

One question - I was thinking about another option that we might be able to leverage in order avoid the delays in receiving the PR card or applying for PR travel document.

What if my wife goes to her home country after getting the COPR (as she wants to visit anyways) and then just come back after a month and land as an immigrant through the normal process.

Now I am not sure how long they allow you to land after receiving the COPR?

Omegabyte

Aug 8, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
02-03-2017
viking123 said:
Great discussion folks.

One question - I was thinking about another option that we might be able to leverage in order avoid the delays in receiving the PR card or applying for PR travel document.

What if my wife goes to her home country after getting the COPR (as she wants to visit anyways) and then just come back after a month and land as an immigrant through the normal process.

Now I am not sure how long they allow you to land after receiving the COPR?
She should be able to do that without any problems as long as she lands before the CoPR deadline. The deadline for landing is usually one year after the date of your medical exam.

For example, when I receive my CoPR next week (hopefully!! :D ), I'll have until August 3 of this year to complete my landing (since my medical was done August 4, 2016).

viking123

Feb 20, 2017
Thanks for the information.

Her medical is going to expire in June, 2017.

This time can get tricky for her....do they specify some deadline on the COPR letter (i.e. like by this date or within 3 months) that you should land?