+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card surrender and reapply

prseeker

Star Member
Jul 10, 2010
I have unexpired PR card card but I have not met residency requirements. I want to surrender my PR card and reapply. Has any one here done this? What is the procedure to surrender PR card?

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
If the card is not expired then u can re enter canada? Then stay for 2 years to meet the residency requirements.

Ewy2012

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
28-01-2014
Med's Request
14-03-2014
Med's Done....
27-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2014
LANDED..........
15-5-2014 (Currently a PR)
prseeker said:
I have unexpired PR card card but I have not met residency requirements. I want to surrender my PR card and reapply. Has any one here done this? What is the procedure to surrender PR card?
You dont need a card inside canada!!! all what u need to do is to come to canada and stay for 2 years if you want to renew your card!!
and for sure it's possible only if the card you have now is still valid

prseeker

Star Member
Jul 10, 2010
The reason I want to surrender my PR card is that I have not met residency requirements. I want to reapply after I have surrendered my PR card. Has any one done this? And if so, what is the procedure to surrender PR card?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
prseeker said:
The reason I want to surrender my PR card is that I have not met residency requirements. I want to reapply after I have surrendered my PR card. Has any one done this? And if so, what is the procedure to surrender PR card?
Try to (re)enter Canada with the PR card and inform the Border Services Officer that you don't meet the RO? Then you can be reported, decline the appeal and your PR status can be revoked. If you want to try this without entering Canada, you can apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document from your local Canadian Visa Office. Same result...

However, as I understand it, there is currently no formal method by which you can apply to renounce your PR status. I also believe that legislation is being proposed to permit this. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob505.asp

mabmabs

Jun 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London Visa Office
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5 july 2013
AOR Received.
PER 4 Oct 2013
prseeker said:
You can apply for a permanent resident card (PR card) if you:
•have permanent resident status,
•are in Canada,
•have not been asked by the Government of Canada to leave the country, and
•are not a Canadian citizen or a registered Indian under the Indian Act.

If you are a Canadian citizen, you cannot have (and do not need) a PR card.
Residency obligation

You must meet the residency obligation to obtain a Permanent Resident Card.

If you have been a permanent resident for five (5) years or more
•you must have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the past five (5) years.

If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years
•you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident

Humanitarian and compassionate grounds

If you are unable to meet the residency obligation, CIC will consider any compelling humanitarian and compassionate factors in your individual circumstances that may justify the retention of permanent resident status.

CIC will notify you if this additional assessment is required

paramjit

Star Member
Oct 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi,India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
7.5 Bands
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2013
LANDED..........
In July-2013
It seems ur purpose for surrendering the pr card is to get a fresh one with the validity of next 5 yrs so that u can now meet the residency requirements. But sorry to say that there int any provision for surrendering and then reapplying for your convenience.Getting PR and maintining the status a legal obligation by the govt so u cannot use i as per ur own convenience.If u are not in canada now may be denied entry to canada since u dont meet residency obligation it solely is at the discretion of landing officers .
If so then u can go for compassionate and humanitarian appeal but it doesnt seems to hold valid in ur case.
It seems u took pr status casually.