NONE
Passport Req..
and D.M. on NOV-3, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
received on : 10TH NOV, 2014
LANDED..........
Jan -18, 2015
hello there,

i became a PR on MAY,2009.... i stayed in canada for 1 month.. then i returned to india.. i was a med school student, so i had to go back.. my course ended in 2014... i returned to canada in 2014 february, before my PR card expired in MAY 2014... but as i had not met the 2 years residency obligation, is there anyway i can apply for a new PR CARD now, or do i have to stay for two years before applying.. i dont mind staying, but, the sad thing is, i cant travel without the PR card.. any help will be appreciated...

thanx,

SAMMY

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You have to wait 2 years before applying for a new PR card. In other words, you can't apply until you meet the residency requirement.

Attending school outside of Canada isn't accepted by CIC as a reason for failing to meet the residency obligation.

You were luckly that you were able to re-enter Canada without being reported for failing to meet the residency requirement. So now your only real option (if you want to keep PR status) is to remain in Canada for 2 years straight without leaving.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
sbag_in said:
hello there,

i became a PR on MAY,2009.... i stayed in canada for 1 month.. then i returned to india.. i was a med school student, so i had to go back.. my course ended in 2014... i returned to canada in 2014 february, before my PR card expired in MAY 2014... but as i had not met the 2 years residency obligation, is there anyway i can apply for a new PR CARD now, or do i have to stay for two years before applying.. i dont mind staying, but, the sad thing is, i cant travel without the PR card.. any help will be appreciated...

thanx,

SAMMY
While, in theory, you can apply for a renewal, the act of doing so will trigger an examination of your residency obligation noncompliance. Therefore it is strongly recommended that you keep below the CIC radar until you are back in compliance. Do nothing that would bring you to their attention. The only time that you would attempt to apply for renewal without meeting the residency obligation would be if you have a rock solid H&C case, and you clearly don't.

sbag_in

Jul 15, 2014
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-MARCH, 2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
14-MAY(aor1) / 31-JUL(aor2)
File Transfer...
15-JULY, 2014, IP- OCT-30
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
29-JAN, 2014
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
and D.M. on NOV-3, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Jan -18, 2015
scylla said:
You have to wait 2 years before applying for a new PR card. In other words, you can't apply until you meet the residency requirement.

Attending school outside of Canada isn't accepted by CIC as a reason for failing to meet the residency obligation.

You were luckly that you were able to re-enter Canada without being reported for failing to meet the residency requirement. So now your only real option (if you want to keep PR status) is to remain in Canada for 2 years straight without leaving.

zardoz said:
While, in theory, you can apply for a renewal, the act of doing so will trigger an examination of your residency obligation noncompliance. Therefore it is strongly recommended that you keep below the CIC radar until you are back in compliance. Do nothing that would bring you to their attention. The only time that you would attempt to apply for renewal without meeting the residency obligation would be if you have a rock solid H&C case, and you clearly don't.
thanx for the replies guys, let me share something...

i called cic.gc.ca and informed them about my situation... i also asked them if i could travel to US, which i would need to do in the second half of 2015.. they told me i can as long as i have a visa (which i have) and i use my private vehicle and i have my COPR with me.. and as for entering canada, in feb 2014, they just scanned my PR card which was valid then. i did not have to go through any interview. they did not even stamp my passport.

now i am confused. i need to travel to the USA in june-july of 2015. so if i do that, i will definitely have to deal with CIC. any advice..????

thanx,
SAMMY

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sbag_in said:
thanx for the replies guys, let me share something...

i called cic.gc.ca and informed them about my situation... i also asked them if i could travel to US, which i would need to do in the second half of 2015.. they told me i can as long as i have a visa (which i have) and i use my private vehicle and i have my COPR with me.. and as for entering canada, in feb 2014, they just scanned my PR card which was valid then. i did not have to go through any interview. they did not even stamp my passport.

now i am confused. i need to travel to the USA in june-july of 2015. so if i do that, i will definitely have to deal with CIC. any advice..????

thanx,
SAMMY
If you leave Canada, there is always some change that upon re-entering Canada, you could be reported by Canadian immigration for failing to meet the residency requirement. If you are reported and have to appear at a hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your status, the odds will be against you because you don't have any real H&C reasons for failing to meet RO.

So the short answer is if you want to guarantee that you can keep your PR status, you need to stay in Canada for 2 years straight and forget about ALL trips outside of Canada.

It really comes down to how important your PR status is to you and how willing you are to risk the possibility of losing it.

sbag_in

Jul 15, 2014
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-MARCH, 2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
14-MAY(aor1) / 31-JUL(aor2)
File Transfer...
15-JULY, 2014, IP- OCT-30
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
29-JAN, 2014
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
and D.M. on NOV-3, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Jan -18, 2015
scylla said:
If you leave Canada, there is always some change that upon re-entering Canada, you could be reported by Canadian immigration for failing to meet the residency requirement. If you are reported and have to appear at a hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your status, the odds will be against you because you don't have any real H&C reasons for failing to meet RO.

So the short answer is if you want to guarantee that you can keep your PR status, you need to stay in Canada for 2 years straight and forget about ALL trips outside of Canada.

It really comes down to how important your PR status is to you and how willing you are to risk the possibility of losing it.

i understand what you are saying..
but yeah.. i will have to take that trip to the USA. i will delay it as long as i can. but whatever happens i do need to go to the USA. its for my career.
if they allow me back its Ok i guess.. if not i will have to risk it...
thanks a lot...
sammy