+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal

wisdom7

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Canada
Hello Guys,
I just need your urgent help. Trying to renew my Permanent Resident Card that will expired on the 19th November 2014. I plan to travel Home (Africa) by December for the Christmas and new year celebration.
I just noticed on CIC website that PR Card Renewal application should be made 6 months to the expiring date.
Does it mean I am late in my application as I just have 3 months left before it expires?

Secondly, I first landed in Canada on the 23rd October 2009, then went back to England on 30th October 2009 because of my Job.
Then finally came back to Canada on 21st September 2010. Since then I have been living, working and schooling here full time in Canada.
Question 2: In completing Section C, item number 21. Does "Period to be assessed" in the form means from 30th October 2009 when I left Canada 8 days after landing to 21st September 2010 when I finally relocated to Canada and other vacation trips to USA etc?

Thirdly, On Section C, item number 20.
Should I include my unemployed history as well as Volunteer history? Or they just want only work and Education?
Again, Section A; item number 15 (Marital Status). Married but separated for more than one year. Separation was not documented in Court till now nor legally divorced. Does that make our separation is illegal as the application form says "Legally Separated"? Though I still ticked legally separated. I hope I am correct? Please kindly advise me on what to do.

Finally, should I include the photocopies of all the stamped and not stamped pages of all my International Passport owned in the past 5 years?
I have submitted my Citizenship Application in May 2014, but has not heard from them up till now.
Will that affect my PR renewal application? I decided to apply for renewal because of my plan to travel in December, more so I don't think I'll become Citizen in the next 3 months to forgo the PR.
Your advice will be appreciated as usual.
Thanks
Wisdom7

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wisdom7 said:
I just noticed on CIC website that PR Card Renewal application should be made 6 months to the expiring date.
Does it mean I am late in my application as I just have 3 months left before it expires?

Secondly, I first landed in Canada on the 23rd October 2009, then went back to England on 30th October 2009 because of my Job.
Then finally came back to Canada on 21st September 2010. Since then I have been living, working and schooling here full time in Canada.
Question 2: In completing Section C, item number 21. Does "Period to be assessed" in the form means from 30th October 2009 when I left Canada 8 days after landing to 21st September 2010 when I finally relocated to Canada and other vacation trips to USA etc?

Thirdly, On Section C, item number 20.
Should I include my unemployed history as well as Volunteer history? Or they just want only work and Education?
Again, Section A; item number 15 (Marital Status). Married but separated for more than one year. Separation was not documented in Court till now nor legally divorced. Does that make our separation is illegal as the application form says "Legally Separated"? Though I still ticked legally separated. I hope I am correct? Please kindly advise me on what to do.

Finally, should I include the photocopies of all the stamped and not stamped pages of all my International Passport owned in the past 5 years?
You have misunderstood the 6 month rule. This rule means that you are not allowed to renew your PR card earlier than 6 months before it expires. It is however not mandatory to renew it before any particular date. The window you have to renew your card is therefore anywhere from 6 months before it expires to infinity. If you stay in Canada, you can let your PR card expire for years and nothing bad will happen to you. If you leave Canada, you just might have trouble getting back but as long as you meet the RO, you could get a travel document.

The period to be assessed is the 5 years previous to your application or since you became PR if that is shorter. So for you, counting from your landing date.

Include in your history everything you have been doing including periods of unemployment and volunteer work.

If you are separated and the only option on the form is legally separated, you should tick that. In many provinces, there is no such thing as a legal separation. You just separate and after a year, you can file for divorce.

If they ask for copies of all your passport pages for the last 5 years, you should provide them.