+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal

greencard15

Jun 10, 2013
Dear Members,

I have a Canadian PR which came up for renewal and have applied for renewal in May 2013. I also have applied for Canadian Citizenship in 2009 (latter part) and got a RQ during my test in 2011 Feb. Completed the RQ in May 2011 but no update since then. I also have a US GC ( obtained after my citizenship application) which is known to Canadian boader services.

My questions are;
1) Do you know how long it takes for a PR renewal? I have maintained the residency requirements in Canada, though travel often between Canada and US
2) If I have travelled overseas with my family ( Canadian Citizens), will that absence period be considered as present in Canada
3) If I enter by Air to Canada (holding non exmpt passport) using the US GC, will there be any issues with Canadian immigration?
4) Any timelines known for RQs that are handlled at St. Clair office. Initially handlled in Scarborough office but moved to St Clair office during latter part of 2012.

Appreciate an urgent response as planning to travel shortly.

regards,

greencard15

Jun 10, 2013
greencard15 said:
Dear Leon and other members, appreciate your comments.

Dear Members,

I have a Canadian PR which came up for renewal and have applied for renewal in May 2013. I also have applied for Canadian Citizenship in 2009 (latter part) and got a RQ during my test in 2011 Feb. Completed the RQ in May 2011 but no update since then. I also have a US GC ( obtained after my citizenship application) which is known to Canadian boader services.

My questions are;
1) Do you know how long it takes for a PR renewal? I have maintained the residency requirements in Canada, though travel often between Canada and US
2) If I have travelled overseas with my family ( Canadian Citizens), will that absence period be considered as present in Canada
3) If I enter by Air to Canada (holding non exmpt passport) using the US GC, will there be any issues with Canadian immigration?
4) Any timelines known for RQs that are handlled at St. Clair office. Initially handlled in Scarborough office but moved to St Clair office during latter part of 2012.

Appreciate an urgent response as planning to travel shortly.

regards,

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
greencard15 said:
My questions are;

Around 100 days right now, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp

Only if you were travelling with a Canadian citizen spouse or you are a minor child travelling with a Canadian citizen parent.

If they know you are a PR, they might ask you why you don't have a PR card.

greencard15

Jun 10, 2013
Many thanks for the response. My question is if I use the US GC to board the flight and present my expired Canadian PR to boader service officers in Pearson airport, will there be any issues considering I have already applied for PR renewal. Will they be asking how did I board the flight when I have an expired Canadian PR and passport from non visa exempt country. Appreciate your revert and thanks for your time

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since they already know you have a green card, I suppose you can tell them that on the strength of your green card, you are visa exempt to Canada. However, I am not sure if they will ask how you got on the plane.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
greencard15 said:
Many thanks for the response. My question is if I use the US GC to board the flight and present my expired Canadian PR to boader service officers in Pearson airport, will there be any issues considering I have already applied for PR renewal. Will they be asking how did I board the flight when I have an expired Canadian PR and passport from non visa exempt country. Appreciate your revert and thanks for your time
Not an issue. Your GC just gets you to the port of entry without having to get a visa. Once at the POE the CBSA agent may process you as a visitor or may realize you are a PR and you get sent to Secondary. Could depend on your answer to their questioning and whether you line up in 'visitors' or 'residents'. Explain your situation. Take proof of your renewal and evidence of residence in Canada just in case.

greencard15

Jun 10, 2013
Many thanks. I came to Toronto and landed in Pearson airport. I was sent to secondary but not much hassles. Do you know how the RQ takes in St Clair office. My application was transferred from Scarborough office to St Clair office last Nov. But my RQ is pending since May 2011.

Also now that Canada make remarks in my passport as Canadian PR; Will this make any issues at US boarder?

regards,

Sanjeev587

Jun 15, 2013
Dear Sir/ Madam
I wish to bring it to your kind attention that I got immigration of my family in 2009 and went to Canada in June 02, 2009. We stayed there for about 55 days and returned back to India after getting PR and SIN card. The prime reason for not completing 730 days requirement was that I was enrolled for Ph.D at Kurukshetra University , Kurukshetra (HR) on April 20. 2009 and was supposed to complete the research work before 19th April, 2013 as per university requirement. I tried my level best to complete it before May 2012 but could not due to volume and revision of data relating to my research work. We also tried to seek admission of my daughter at UBC but the result of grade 12th of my daughter was declared in May,2012, but the admission deadline expired by then. UBC consular advised us to try for fall 2013. My daughter remained in touch with UBC authorities till May 2013 and finally she got admission in one of the prestigious course B.ASc Engineering Program at UBC and they also asked her for the documents relating to class which she did in 2012-13 i.e. (B.Tech first and second semester) to give credits for the course offered by it. She has received hard copy of the admission letter issued by UBC. My daughter has applied under the category of Permanent Resident as PR Card are valid till July 2014.
My Ph.D work is also over and I submitted my thesis on April 15th, 2013 to the University. I went to Canada in September 2012 for about 15 days to return money relating to child Benefit given by provincial and federal government of Canada for which we were not entitled as we remain in India. But somehow this money is again credited to our account in Canada by the agencies of both government on April 5th 2013 for the reason not known to us. I also deposited admission and housing charges at UBC as a part of admission requirement during my stay in Canada. Regular classes at UBC commence by Sepetember,2013.
In the light of my above submission please guide us what to do. Can immigration Canada relax rules relating to residency requirement on the humanitarian ground in the best interest of the child as she got admission in highly acknowledged course worldwide in the prestigious university of the world. We all now plan to stay in Canada and will meet residency requirement. Will we face some problem at Vancouver airport on arrival ?
I request your good self to address my quarry at the earliest…..
Thanking You,
Yours Sincerely,

Sanjeev Kumar Sharma.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
greencard15 said:
Many thanks. I came to Toronto and landed in Pearson airport. I was sent to secondary but not much hassles. Do you know how the RQ takes in St Clair office. My application was transferred from Scarborough office to St Clair office last Nov. But my RQ is pending since May 2011.

Also now that Canada make remarks in my passport as Canadian PR; Will this make any issues at US boarder?

regards,
1. St. Clair is ground zero for RQs so expect long delays. CIC recently published non routine applications as taking 35 months from application date. When did you apply and do you know why you got RQd?

2. Keeping US GC status is more difficult than keeping Canadian PR status...the US doesn't have a 2 out of 5 year window like Canada. To keep GC status you are mean't to prove you have maintained the US as your home. The reference to Canadian PR in your passport can be interpreted by CBP that you have abandoned the US as your place of residence. You can't be a permanent residence of 2 places is the logic. Just explain your situation to CBP agent if they ask...unlike Canada they track exits so they know your time outside Canada.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sanjeev587 said:
Dear Sir/ Madam
I wish to bring it to your kind attention that I got immigration of my family in 2009 and went to Canada in June 02, 2009. We stayed there for about 55 days and returned back to India after getting PR and SIN card. The prime reason for not completing 730 days requirement was that I was enrolled for Ph.D at Kurukshetra University , Kurukshetra (HR) on April 20. 2009 and was supposed to complete the research work before 19th April, 2013 as per university requirement. I tried my level best to complete it before May 2012 but could not due to volume and revision of data relating to my research work. We also tried to seek admission of my daughter at UBC but the result of grade 12th of my daughter was declared in May,2012, but the admission deadline expired by then. UBC consular advised us to try for fall 2013. My daughter remained in touch with UBC authorities till May 2013 and finally she got admission in one of the prestigious course B.ASc Engineering Program at UBC and they also asked her for the documents relating to class which she did in 2012-13 i.e. (B.Tech first and second semester) to give credits for the course offered by it. She has received hard copy of the admission letter issued by UBC. My daughter has applied under the category of Permanent Resident as PR Card are valid till July 2014.
My Ph.D work is also over and I submitted my thesis on April 15th, 2013 to the University. I went to Canada in September 2012 for about 15 days to return money relating to child Benefit given by provincial and federal government of Canada for which we were not entitled as we remain in India. But somehow this money is again credited to our account in Canada by the agencies of both government on April 5th 2013 for the reason not known to us. I also deposited admission and housing charges at UBC as a part of admission requirement during my stay in Canada. Regular classes at UBC commence by Sepetember,2013.
In the light of my above submission please guide us what to do. Can immigration Canada relax rules relating to residency requirement on the humanitarian ground in the best interest of the child as she got admission in highly acknowledged course worldwide in the prestigious university of the world. We all now plan to stay in Canada and will meet residency requirement. Will we face some problem at Vancouver airport on arrival ?
I request your good self to address my quarry at the earliest.....
Thanking You,
Yours Sincerely,

Sanjeev Kumar Sharma.
Please put this question in a new thread as its creating some confusion with the original post.

greencard15

Jun 10, 2013
Thanks for the response. my timelines are as follows:

applied in 2009 Sept.
Citizenship test 2011 Feb
RQ was given on the same day - no specific reasons were given
RQ submitted on May 2011
File transferred to St Clair on Nov 2012.

Do you know the period which St Clair handlles now? It is almost 40 months from the application date.

Also when you say US tracks the in / out, is it tracked from airline record? Is there any authority where I could request for my history of travel?

regards,

canvi

Feb 20, 2013
Hello,

I have a question on travel document.

I had to come back to India before receiving my PR card in Canada (I am new landed permanent resident). I applied for travel document in order to return to Canada as permanent resident.

I read on cbsa website that

"The Single Journey Travel Document will be issued in conjunction with a counterfoil visa and will include a die-cut photo. Without seals over the counterfoil and photo, the document is not valid for travel. The document will be recovered by the port of entry officers upon arrival in Canada."

What is a die-cut photo ? Does it mean my photo will not be clear on travel document?

So will I get my travel document in a sealed envelope OR will the "visa part" and "photograph part" of the travel document be covered with another paper/seal so that it can't be seen by anyone else.

If it is so, can I open the seal myself and see the details for visa and my photograph (to verify they are correct and they belong to me)?

OR should I simply carry the document as is and immigration officer at Canada airport will open the seal?

How can I verify that I got my travel document with all accurate details without being rejected.

Please suggest. Thanks a lot for all your help.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
greencard15 said:
Thanks for the response. my timelines are as follows:

applied in 2009 Sept.
Citizenship test 2011 Feb
RQ was given on the same day - no specific reasons were given
RQ submitted on May 2011
File transferred to St Clair on Nov 2012.

Do you know the period which St Clair handlles now? It is almost 40 months from the application date.

Also when you say US tracks the in / out, is it tracked from airline record? Is there any authority where I could request for my history of travel?

regards,
You need to get your files and find out what the RQ reasons are and what the hold up is. Check CIC website for ATIP request process.

RQ is issued because CIC have a concern about your declared residence in Canada or if randomly selected for Quality Control/ Program Integrity. How many days of physical presence in the 4 year qualifying period did you have at application date? Did you have significant travel outside Canada? Were you employed full time in Canada? Did you have any US visa/status during your Canadian PR time?

Airlines pass info to CBP including your US GC number in this data. CBP have a history of your US exits/entries - get this via their website. CBSA has history of your Canada entries - get this via ATIP.

AFRIKANER

Jul 2, 2013
Good Morning Everyone!

I´m new here! Just joined the forum.

DO I NEED TO BUY THE FLIGHT TICKET AS PRROF OF TRAVEL???? What will happen If I buy the ticket for Europe and I don´t get the VISA???;-(

I applied for the renewal of my PR CARD in May. CIC received my application for PR CARD RENEWAL on May 15 2013. I can´t see any update online though. MY ECAS DOESN´T SHOW ANYTHING ABOUT MY PR CARD RENEWAL! It has been 6 weeks since they received my application. Nothing online. No info. I had too many days (yes way more than 1450 DAYS) when I applied. I even applied for CANADIAN citizenship 14 months ago. No TEST date yet! My PR Card will expire the third week of October. I´m planning to apply for a SHENGEN VISA (VISA FOR EUROPE) because I will be travelling to Europe at the end of September for 4 weeks. I´m waiting till CIC starts processing my APPLICATION FOR PR CARD renewal and then I will have to ask them to speed it up. Sounds good???????? I live and work in HAMILTON. No residency issues. I live in CANADA. My file is too clean. Born and raised in Africa. Lived in Europe for almost 15 years.

AFRIKANER

Jul 2, 2013
Hey guys! Do you think CIC will accept my request for URGENT PROCESSING if I say I need my PR CARD in order to apply for a SCHENGEN VISA (VISA FOR EUROEPE)? I NEED MY PR CARD AS SOON AS POSSIBLE