+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal: Work and Travel history question

Kaa2020

Feb 13, 2014
Hi.

My PR card expires in October 2014 and I am starting to look into the renewal.

Some background information:
  • With a Student Visa in Dec 2005 I enrolled on a post secondary program that had a practicum/internship component, which allowed me to apply for a work permit.
  • Around Dec 2006 I started to work at a firm using this work permit linked with my study permit. I had to apply two or three times for an extension to this work permit, the last work permit being valid until May 2009.
  • That firm sponsored me and through the Provincial Nominee Program I got my PR in August 2009. During the PR process I applied for and received a work permit to continue working at that firm while my application was being processed. This permit was valid from Dec 2008 - July 2010.
  • I signed a contract in the beginning of 2008, and another one in May 2010.

1) Work History
The IMM5444E (10-2013) form says "You must list all your work and education history for the past five (5) years, or since becoming a permanent resident if less than five (5) years ago".
As I got my PR in August 2009 it won't be 5 years until August 2014, but I am planning to submit my PR card renewal in April. What date range should I use? These are the three options I am considering:
  • I am not sure if using exactly 5 years back since the moment I submit the application, which will be April (i.e. April 2009-PRESENT)
  • As it's been less than 5 years since becoming PR then use Aug 2009-PRESENT
  • From the date of my first contract Jan 2008-PRESENT. However they are asking only 5 years, and this goes back further.

I may be overthinking this, but I do not want to have problems for a technicality.

2) Is it necessary to include work documentation such as a letter of employment, tax assessments, T4s, etc.?

3) Travel history: Period to be assessed.
It is kind of the same question as the work history. I was in Canada before becoming a PR, so I am not sure what to use for the From date.

Thanks for your help.

gosia

Apr 26, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2010
Doc's Request.
26-05-2011
File Transfer...
15-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made April 15, 2013
LANDED..........
20-06-2013
why not apply for citizenship instead?

Kaa2020

Feb 13, 2014
I am planning to apply for citizenship as well, and actually the work history question also applies for that application, except that CIC only asks for the last 4 years works history. However, I still need to renew my PR card, so I hope some of the very experienced members of this forum can answer my questions.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Kaa2020 said:
Hi.

My PR card expires in October 2014 and I am starting to look into the renewal.

Some background information:
  • With a Student Visa in Dec 2005 I enrolled on a post secondary program that had a practicum/internship component, which allowed me to apply for a work permit.
  • Around Dec 2006 I started to work at a firm using this work permit linked with my study permit. I had to apply two or three times for an extension to this work permit, the last work permit being valid until May 2009.
  • That firm sponsored me and through the Provincial Nominee Program I got my PR in August 2009. During the PR process I applied for and received a work permit to continue working at that firm while my application was being processed. This permit was valid from Dec 2008 - July 2010.
  • I signed a contract in the beginning of 2008, and another one in May 2010.

1) Work History
The IMM5444E (10-2013) form says "You must list all your work and education history for the past five (5) years, or since becoming a permanent resident if less than five (5) years ago".
As I got my PR in August 2009 it won't be 5 years until August 2014, but I am planning to submit my PR card renewal in April. What date range should I use? These are the three options I am considering:
  • I am not sure if using exactly 5 years back since the moment I submit the application, which will be April (i.e. April 2009-PRESENT)
  • As it's been less than 5 years since becoming PR then use Aug 2009-PRESENT
  • From the date of my first contract Jan 2008-PRESENT. However they are asking only 5 years, and this goes back further.

I may be overthinking this, but I do not want to have problems for a technicality.

2) Is it necessary to include work documentation such as a letter of employment, tax assessments, T4s, etc.?

3) Travel history: Period to be assessed.
It is kind of the same question as the work history. I was in Canada before becoming a PR, so I am not sure what to use for the From date.

Thanks for your help.
I haven't had to renew my PR card yet, as I only landed in December of this past year, however, I'll give it a shot to help you out because I know sometimes just someone looking in from the outside makes it seem a lot easier to do.

I would go back 5 years from the time you plan to date your application. You only need go back those 5 years, no more.

I would also use the date from 5 years back for your travel history. If you have never left the country, then there would be no harm in putting in the date you first came here for your studying, i.e. 12/5/2005 until *date you sign the application* I understand that they only need the past 5 years, but in your case if you have not left the country then I see no reason to not just list the original date you got here. They aren't going to fault you for that as that is the day you got here.

I think it would be wise to go ahead and include a letter of employment and T4's and such. That is only more proof from your side that you were in fact in the country the entire time you state you were. I would only worry about giving them the relevant 5 years on that portion of it though, if I were you.

I don't know if I've helped you out at all, but I sure hope it cleared up some of your confusion.

Kaa2020

Feb 13, 2014
Thanks for your reply Alurra71. Every answer helps as I'm interested in knowing what the majority would say in my situation. I'll include the letter of employment and T4s, I agree with you that going back 5 years or since becoming a PR as the form clearly says is the right way to go about this, but someone told me I should say from when I started my internship. That's is what is confusing me. I'm sure I am not the first person wondering the best way of filling out this section of the form.

I would really appreciate it if somebody who has renewed the PR card or has seen a similar case could tell me what date range he/she used.

Thanks!

zoezozo

Feb 5, 2013
Hi,
They want the 5 years preceding the date you apply. So if you apply today, you have to account for the period beginning Feb 22 2009 to today.
Good luck!