+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal supporting docs and travel document

LostinCalgary

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Hello,

I applied for my PR card renewal last May, and last week I received a letter from the VO requesting me copies of all the pages of my passport (which I had already submitted in full with the stamps translated) and records of entry/exits from the countries that I have traveled to in the last five years. I have to send this information within the next 180 days.

I pulled my I-94 from the US, which doesn't show all my entries/exits, and I also requested my entries/exit records through a FOIA. They replied saying the average processing time for this info is 12 months. I'm still waiting for an answer from the Mexican authorities.

Seeing that I will not be able to fully comply at least with my US records before the time stipulated, is it OK if I send other supporting documents proving my residency in Canada even if they didn't ask for them? i.e. Employment letters, bank statements showing movements on the days of my trips, flight tickets, pay stubs, etc.

Also my PR card has now expired and I'm going overseas for the December Holidays, will this situation compromise the chances of me getting a travel document on my way back to Canada?

Thanks so much for your help :)

MarioYYZ

Mar 2, 2014
LostinCalgary said:
Hello,

I applied for my PR card renewal last May, and last week I received a letter from the VO requesting me copies of all the pages of my passport (which I had already submitted in full with the stamps translated) and records of entry/exits from the countries that I have traveled to in the last five years. I have to send this information within the next 180 days.

I pulled my I-94 from the US, which doesn't show all my entries/exits, and I also requested my entries/exit records through a FOIA. They replied saying the average processing time for this info is 12 months. I'm still waiting for an answer from the Mexican authorities.

Seeing that I will not be able to fully comply at least with my US records before the time stipulated, is it OK if I send other supporting documents proving my residency in Canada even if they didn't ask for them? i.e. Employment letters, bank statements showing movements on the days of my trips, flight tickets, pay stubs, etc.

Also my PR card has now expired and I'm going overseas for the December Holidays, will this situation compromise the chances of me getting a travel document on my way back to Canada?

Thanks so much for your help :)

Any chance you can type out the exact wording of this request ? Did you send colored passport page copies or were they grayscale ?

Given only 180 days, I would print out the I-94 records available online (along with the reply that mentions the 12 month processing time), and CBSA entry records. Perhaps include a letter showing the countries you are awaiting a reply from.

I won't share my 2 cents on the travel document subject because I'm not too sure how long it would take to issue one around holiday season, but I would definitely carry my COPR on me in the event that I had to return by land from the US.

LostinCalgary

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
MarioYYZ said:
Any chance you can type out the exact wording of this request ? Did you send colored passport page copies or were they grayscale ?

Given only 180 days, I would print out the I-94 records available online (along with the reply that mentions the 12 month processing time), and CBSA entry records. Perhaps include a letter showing the countries you are awaiting a reply from.

I won't share my 2 cents on the travel document subject because I'm not too sure how long it would take to issue one around holiday season, but I would definitely carry my COPR on me in the event that I had to return by land from the US.
Hi MarioYYZ,

Thank you for your reply. The exact wording of the VO letter was:

"Complete pages (including blank pages) of your passport #----------. Ensure all pages are clearly legible.

Personal immigration entry/exit record or movement certificate issued by the countries where you have travelled"

Now, I didn't request CBSA entry records as I authorised CIC to pull them themselves, do you think I should request them?

I have gathered a bunch of other documents (bank statements, flight tickets, employment letters, etc) 160 pages in total of information that they did not ask me for, so I'm also hesitant on sending that.

Thank you for your help!

MarioYYZ

Mar 2, 2014
I am guessing that you must have missed something with the passport copy you sent.

I think sending additional supporting documents can help…it's really up to you i guess. Just make sure they are relevant (covering the period on your application). It's good you checked the 'consent to retrieve info from CBSA'… i believe they get access to the records much quicker than you do.

If you've entered the US with an I-94 then you almost always get an entry stamp in your passport. If I were in your shoes, I would type out an excel sheet showing the travel date, page number in passport carrying the US entry stamp, and return date (similar to the travel question on the application). Organizing your travel info can be helpful, especially when you have pages with many/overlapping stamps. Imagine how much time they spend flipping through thousands of passports trying to make out dates/absences.

LostinCalgary

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
MarioYYZ said:
I am guessing that you must have missed something with the passport copy you sent.

I think sending additional supporting documents can help...it's really up to you i guess. Just make sure they are relevant (covering the period on your application). It's good you checked the 'consent to retrieve info from CBSA'... i believe they get access to the records much quicker than you do.

If you've entered the US with an I-94 then you almost always get an entry stamp in your passport. If I were in your shoes, I would type out an excel sheet showing the travel date, page number in passport carrying the US entry stamp, and return date (similar to the travel question on the application). Organizing your travel info can be helpful, especially when you have pages with many/overlapping stamps. Imagine how much time they spend flipping through thousands of passports trying to make out dates/absences.
I forgot to add, I didn't send colour copies of my passport before, which I will this time, and not all the trips I declared match the stamps in my passport (more trips declared than stamps in passport). The excel sheet is a great idea! I just created it today cross referencing passport page, with bank statements and flight tickets. I hope the supporting documents help clarify this issue.

Thanks again for your help!

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LostinCalgary said:
I forgot to add, I didn't send colour copies of my passport before, which I will this time, and not all the trips I declared match the stamps in my passport (more trips declared than stamps in passport). The excel sheet is a great idea! I just created it today cross referencing passport page, with bank statements and flight tickets. I hope the supporting documents help clarify this issue.

It asks for colour copies of passport with initial application, how did you miss that?

Are your dates not matching or are they missing? Not matching is a problem, but missing should be ok, not all countries stamp passports all the time.

LostinCalgary

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Hi CanV,

Thanks for replying to my questions,

CanV said:
It asks for colour copies of passport with initial application, how did you miss that?
I still can't find where it specifically asks for colour copies of your passport in the CIC website, I definitely missed that. I just searched again in the section of the CIC website Application for a Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) with no luck. (Can't post a link here)

Care to point me in the right direction with the source of that info where it asks for the colour copies if you don't mind?

CanV said:
Are your dates not matching or are they missing? Not matching is a problem, but missing should be ok, not all countries stamp passports all the time.
One of my dates doesn't match, the stamp says December 2014, we are not even in December yet, and a bunch of other stamps are missing. ::)

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LostinCalgary said:
Hi CanV,

Thanks for replying to my questions,

I still can't find where it specifically asks for colour copies of your passport in the CIC website, I definitely missed that. I just searched again in the section of the CIC website Application for a Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) with no luck. (Can't post a link here)

Care to point me in the right direction with the source of that info where it asks for the colour copies if you don't mind?

One of my dates doesn't match, the stamp says December 2014, we are not even in December yet, and a bunch of other stamps are missing. ::)
I cant find it either, not sure where I read it, probably for citizenship applications. But your translator should have made colour copy of all passport pages.

Your December 2014 stamp is probably what ticked them off, how did that happen?

MarioYYZ

Mar 2, 2014
Actually, none of the applications require you to submit colored photocopies. I think it just became common practice because it makes it much easier to distinguish "entry" stamps from "exit" stamps (many countries stick to a certain color for 'entry' and another for 'exit').

Don't forget to mention your full name and passport number on that excel sheet.

About that Dec2014 stamp, is it a US entry stamp ? I'm asking because I have a similar issue: When looking closer, I figured that many US entry stamps have an "until" line right below the entry date (usually 6 months from the date of entry). And I have at least 3 stamps where the ink used to show 'entry date' and 'until' isn't transferred to the page, leaving the 'until' date shown alone. Trace back 6 months from Dec2014… if you've entered in June 2014 then your issue is very likely similar to mine.

LostinCalgary

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
The Dec 2014 stamp is from an entry to Canada last January; I don't know if there is way for me to clarify that before December this year, so that it won't be an issue when I apply for my Citizenship in the future.

Regarding the translated pages of my passport, translator made black and white copies of it too. She agreed to provide me with a copy of those translations to send to CIC again, I wonder if I should ask her to make colour copies of them, or get a new translation of my passport altogether. Oh well....

MarioYYZ

Mar 2, 2014
LostinCalgary said:
The Dec 2014 stamp is from an entry to Canada last January; I don't know if there is way for me to clarify that before December this year, so that it won't be an issue when I apply for my Citizenship in the future.

Regarding the translated pages of my passport, translator made black and white copies of it too. She agreed to provide me with a copy of those translations to send to CIC again, I wonder if I should ask her to make colour copies of them, or get a new translation of my passport altogether. Oh well....
It is much easier to resolve a glitch in a Canadian entry stamp. Just call CBSA and ask for it to be omitted. Anyway, your entry is recorded in their systems, so the CBSA records should reflect the discrepancy. It's probably not a big deal, but personally I would have dealt with it as soon as I spotted it. These days, a wrong stamp can make your life difficult when you are connecting at airports and are subjected to additional screening.

About your translated copies, definitely make/send color copies. Keep the grayscale copies with you for reference.

LostinCalgary

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Hi there,

I just wanted to share the end of this story. My PR card arrived on the mail today and I'll be able to fly out worry-free this Friday.

As I shared before, I was unble to get my full records of entries/exits from the US, and none at all from Mexico.

On Nov 21 I sent a urgent processing request via email explaining the situation and attaching letters of employment and my vacation approval, along with the scanned copies of my passport. On Nov 24 they replied saying my file was missing some information and the urgent request could not be processed.

I put together my passport colour copies, translation of it (again), bank statements, flight tickets, tax returns, car insurance, along with the break down of my trips and passport stamps on an excel sheet and mailed it all on Nov 27. I didn't request urgent processing this time though. They received it on Dec 1st and my PR Card was mailed on Dec 9th.

I'm really grateful and surprised they processed it this fast, and I appreciate MarioYYZ and CanV's input on the matter.

Thanks!

EDIT to add. Regarding the wrong stamp on my passport; I went to the CBSA office at YYC, the officer took my passport and ten minutes later he returned it to me with the incorrect stamp cancelled and a correct one freshly stamped next to the old one.

MarioYYZ

Mar 2, 2014
Getting that stamp corrected was a very smart move. Take note of the date you made this correction in case you have to explain it during your application for citizenship.

Good to hear some good news :) Have a safe trip !

anakinhay

Feb 14, 2012
Hey LostInCalgary,

I have a similar situation as you. I received an email from CIC today stating they need all copies and pages of my passports and all entries/exits of places I travelled within the last 5 yrs.
I have been to so many countries and it's visually impossible to obtain all the records.
My intention is to provide them with my bank statements, employment letters, ICBC payments, Income tax returns and any records I can get my hands on to prove my 2 yrs os stay in Canada. I could print them the i-94 online and submit them as well. But There are none for Malaysia, Europe and other countries I been.

DO you think I could just explain myself in a cover letter that I can't obtain them but provide other supporting documents?

Thanks/.

Your advise is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Kelvin

LostinCalgary

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
anakinhay said:
Hey LostInCalgary,

I have a similar situation as you. I received an email from CIC today stating they need all copies and pages of my passports and all entries/exits of places I travelled within the last 5 yrs.
I have been to so many countries and it's visually impossible to obtain all the records.
My intention is to provide them with my bank statements, employment letters, ICBC payments, Income tax returns and any records I can get my hands on to prove my 2 yrs os stay in Canada. I could print them the i-94 online and submit them as well. But There are none for Malaysia, Europe and other countries I been.

DO you think I could just explain myself in a cover letter that I can't obtain them but provide other supporting documents?

Thanks/.

Your advise is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Kelvin
Hi Kelvin,

That's exactly what I did and it worked wonders for me so I would definitely recommend you to do that. I also included a table cross referencing the stamps on my passport with the trips I made, dates, etc. From your post it's not clear to me if you have even tried to get the entry/exit records from the countries you visited or not; I did, and even if I couldn't get them I sent proof that I at least tried and that I was not going to be able to get them as requested.

All in all I don't know what made my application work but they approved my PR card renewal just a few days after they received my supporting documents, I didn't even have the time to translate the ones that were not in English/French and I was fortunate to get my application approved.

Hope this helps and I wish you success with your application. Let me know if you have further questions.

Cheers!