+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal - RO questions :)

kelsey199200

Star Member
Jun 24, 2010
Hi Everyone
I've posted a few questions regarding renewal of PR card but should of posted here, hence i will post again :)

1)there is about 20 Egyptian entry and exit stamps from traveling back to the home country, does this many stamps cause an interview and/or a RQ?

2)There is only 1 Canadian entry stamp on the passport as most times we've used the machine, will this be an issue proving our time in Canada?

3) on the address history question, The first 2 years of staying in Canada we were in and out alot arranging our life to come here to Canada permanently. Each time that we came back we stayed with my parents at the same address in Canada. Would i have to write it on each line, if so this will be around 6 lines with same address and 4 other lines
for example:
March 4, 2011 - Aug 31- 2011 *****same address****
Nov 11 2011 - Feb 14 2012 *****same address****
Mar 2012 - May 2012 - *****same address****

Thank you in advance :)

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. No one knows exactly what causes RQ. But you are allowed to travel as long as you meet the RO. Don't convince yourself that you've somehow messed up for doing something pretty normal and completely okay.

2. You are not responsible for whether the passport officer stamps your passport, and you haven't done anything wrong by using the machines that CBSA supplies at some airports. Don't worry about it.
Also, if you scanned the passport and PR card, there is a record. If you need it, worry about it then and get it then.

3. Yes, write it down 6 times. Those are the instructions. Attach an extra sheet.
As Dpenabill says: If all else fails follow the instructions; otherwise, follow the instructions.

kelsey199200

Star Member
Jun 24, 2010
Thank you for the reply.
I'm just a little confused on the address history still. Do we need to include the address from the times we were going back to Egypt or just in Canada?
for example our timeline goes kind of like this after we first landed...
Jan 10-Mar 3 canada
Mar 3 - Aug 11 egypt
Aug 31 - nov 7 canada
Feb 7 - Feb 14 egypt... and so on
Im not sure where we would consider our home at that time in 2011. I dont want it to seem like we not serious about residing in Canada even though now we've both help jobs here since early 2013. We've also visited Egypt 2 times in the last 2 and a half years, each visit was only 14 days. i'm assuming we don't have to put the address' for each timewe visited?
Thank you

fattal

Aug 1, 2015
Hi Kelsey

I have very urgent question about PR Obligation. however, I tried very hard to create new topic (like this one) but I couldn't. I couldn't find the button "start new topic". would you mind if I insert my question in your topic please?

thanks

Wael

kelsey199200

Star Member
Jun 24, 2010
If you go to the topic section you want to post in, look in the top right corner and you will see the tab "new topic"

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kelsey199200 said:
Thank you for the reply.
I'm just a little confused on the address history still. Do we need to include the address from the times we were going back to Egypt or just in Canada?
Jan 10-Mar 3 canada
Mar 3 - Aug 11 egypt
Aug 31 - nov 7 canada
Im not sure where we would consider our home at that time in 2011. I dont want it to seem like we not serious about residing in Canada even though now we've both help jobs here since early 2013. We've also visited Egypt 2 times in the last 2 and a half years, each visit was only 14 days. i'm assuming we don't have to put the address' for each timewe visited?
Thank you
Hi Kelsey,

It's best to quote the exact text of the question that you are asking about if you'd like really specific answers. Also describe any prompts in the answer area.

You need to help people help you.

From memory, I cannot tell you.

kelsey199200

Star Member
Jun 24, 2010
sorry about that!
Its been awhile since i've been on this forum.

The question states " ADDRESS HISTORY: your address history for the past five (5) years or if you became a permanent resident less than five (5) years ago, your address history since becoming a permanent resident"
The instruction guide states: "Your Address History: You must list all your residential addresses for the past five (5) years, or since becoming a permanent resident if less than five (5) years ago. You must account for each month in this period. "

*i am having trouble trying to figure out what constitutes as an address that needs to be listed. When we went back to Egypt to visit family for a month last year, for example, would we write the address we stayed at there?
In the first 2 years of landing we were going back and forth each 3 - 5 month between the same 2 addresses. This would take up about 9 lines with the same 2 addresses. *
Thank you

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kelsey199200 said:
Thank you for the reply.
Jan 10-Mar 3 canada
Mar 3 - Aug 11 egypt
Aug 31 - nov 7 canada
Thank you
Yes, it`s OK what you are doing.

About your residence place, just say the true. If you were residing in Egypt, so put Egypt.
In fact, you can live up to 3 years there and still meet the residence obligations so that`s not an issue.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Worry about representing yourself truthfully, rather than imagining someone else's negative interpretation of the truth. With the CIC, the truth is your refuge. Many applicants fear that something normal "looks bad" so they lie about little or big things. This backfires hugely. Have you met the residency requirement? If so, focus on that (the truth) and let go of the rest.

2. You don't need to write the whole address. Just the city/province and country.

3. The CIC does not define what it means to "live" somewhere. So it is up to define for yourself as an applicant. This gets into a lot of subtlety and even takes into account your mental understanding of your situation. When you were in Egypt, did you think of it as temporary? Did you know you were going back to Canada? Did you have your things in Canada? If someone asked you where you lived during that time would you have said "I live in Canada but I'm here for 3 months for reason xyz"?

There is no wrong answer, but try to be clear, straightforward and reasonable. Don't worry about how many lines it takes. That is not an important consideration.

Personally, a trip of 2-3 weeks doesn't seem like you "lived there". A trip of 6+ months? That seems more like you lived there. But it's up to you to decide where the line is for you.

I had three trips of approx. 3 months when I was a temp resident/PR. The first 2 I listed as "living" outside Canada. The last one I just counted as a long trip. My reason was that we kept our apartment in Canada, we traveled back and forth, and we KNEW that we were coming back to Canada, which had become our home.