+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal & New - 2022 Processing Timeline

MathToStat

Jan 13, 2017
Mailed card should arrive in 7-10 days give or take...So you probably won't be able to receive it before traveling

Upon issuance of the new card, the existing one becomes invalid after 60 days after issuance of the new one.. so you have untill around August 9 to return to Canada using the old one
Thanks for sharing this knowledge. Do you have any original source for this 60 days limit?

medwiz

May 25, 2014
Thanks for sharing this knowledge. Do you have any original source for this 60 days limit?
No worries

Yes it's in the application guide - Guide IMM5445

"Important information: Upon issuance of a new PR card, your existing (or old) PR card will be invalid after 60 days following the date of issuance of the new card. You can check our current processing times to calculate the approximate time your new PR card will be issued. Keep this in mind prior to making any travel arrangements after applying for a new PR card since you will not be able to return to Canada with the invalid PR card if the new one has been issued and is not in hand"

torono24

May 3, 2023
No worries

Yes it's in the application guide - Guide IMM5445

"Important information: Upon issuance of a new PR card, your existing (or old) PR card will be invalid after 60 days following the date of issuance of the new card. You can check our current processing times to calculate the approximate time your new PR card will be issued. Keep this in mind prior to making any travel arrangements after applying for a new PR card since you will not be able to return to Canada with the invalid PR card if the new one has been issued and is not in hand"
Thanks for quoting the source and sharing this information!

Reactions: medwiz

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
What does this R signify?? Any meaning to it?
Just like PR application starts with E, PR card application starts with R. Thats all.

Here is what I have been suggesting to track your cards -

1.Link pr card using steps here - https://askkubeir.com/pr-card-application/ OR
2. Call IRCC at 1 (888) 242-2100 . When you call IRCC, It will ask you for the UCI , press 2 i.e. no UCI available and then as soon as the message for AF and UK refugees start playing press 3 3 0 in quick succession you will be able to reach them. The real deal is - don't wait to hear out the refugee messages .Once you get hold of an agent, ask for your PR card application number ( it starts with letter "R"). You can go to step 1 and link your card application

Dansal

Star Member
Oct 4, 2022
Just like PR application starts with E, PR card application starts with R. Thats all.

Here is what I have been suggesting to track your cards -

1.Link pr card using steps here - https://askkubeir.com/pr-card-application/ OR
2. Call IRCC at 1 (888) 242-2100 . When you call IRCC, It will ask you for the UCI , press 2 i.e. no UCI available and then as soon as the message for AF and UK refugees start playing press 3 3 0 in quick succession you will be able to reach them. The real deal is - don't wait to hear out the refugee messages .Once you get hold of an agent, ask for your PR card application number ( it starts with letter "R"). You can go to step 1 and link your card application
Thanks for your response. We got selected through EE and landed in Toronto in Jan 2023. My husband (main applicant) & son have received their PR cards in Feb last week. I have been waiting to get mine since 5months now. Webforms submitted but no action. What else should I do? How long will I have to wait. Do you have any idea?

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Thanks for your response. We got selected through EE and landed in Toronto in Jan 2023. My husband (main applicant) & son have received their PR cards in Feb last week. I have been waiting to get mine since 5months now. Webforms submitted but no action. What else should I do? How long will I have to wait. Do you have any idea?
Not sure why that query :), already mentioned on what can be done. Link pr card OR call IRCC as mentioned in my earlier post

wizardofwest90210

Star Member
Oct 18, 2022
. I was nervous my application was lost in their pile. But they have a system that works for them, it gets done eventually, one hopes, if everything is in order. I arrived in Canada with a buffer period, then stayed in Canada nonstop for 2 years and some more, paid all my taxes, had all entry and exits information based on exits from the US using I-94 records, stamp on passport and air ticket records, so to ensure there was no error. Everyone do the math correctly, double check with a family member or trusted friend, use the exit, entry stamps, ensure you keep your flight ticket information and if possible, do tick the place so they can check CBSA records themselves. Make sure your photos are professionally taken and signed and sealed at the place you take your photographs. I still don't know when I will get the card in mail. I wished there was a way for me to pick it up at a service center so I can have mental peace that it doesn't get lost in mail.

For those waiting, i hope you are in process for a quick turnaround. I know it can be stressful and tough to plan, etc.

My time for PR Card renewal:

March 10th: Mailed Paper Application (because I heard it was faster on this forum earlier) , by registered mail/FedEx
Was able to link last week
AOR March 9th midnight
Approval June 14th (no email, I just checked my linked profile)
Card mailed "We mailed your permanent resident card to you. Your card can take up to six weeks to arrive. "

Last edited:

dimple34

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
. I was nervous my application was lost in their pile. But they have a system that works for them, it gets done eventually, one hopes, if everything is in order. I arrived in Canada with a buffer period, then stayed in Canada nonstop for 2 years and some more, paid all my taxes, had all entry and exits information based on exits from the US using I-94 records, stamp on passport and air ticket records, so to ensure there was no error. Everyone do the math correctly, double check with a family member or trusted friend, use the exit, entry stamps, ensure you keep your flight ticket information and if possible, do tick the place so they can check CBSA records themselves. Make sure your photos are professionally taken and signed and sealed at the place you take your photographs. I still don't know when I will get the card in mail. I wished there was a way for me to pick it up at a service center so I can have mental peace that it doesn't get lost in mail.

For those waiting, i hope you are in process for a quick turnaround. I know it can be stressful and tough to plan, etc.

My time for PR Card renewal:

March 10th: Mailed Paper Application (because I heard it was faster on this forum earlier) , by registered mail/FedEx
Was able to link last week
AOR March 9th midnight
Approval June 14th (no email, I just checked my linked profile)
Card mailed "We mailed your permanent resident card to you. Your card can take up to six weeks to arrive. "
I haven’t seen the option to apply online in their website. I thought it was paper-based only and thats why I did just that. Where is that option, I am curious to know.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mailed card should arrive in 7-10 days give or take...So you probably won't be able to receive it before traveling

Upon issuance of the new card, the existing one becomes invalid after 60 days after issuance of the new one.. so you have untill around August 9 to return to Canada using the old one
Important to note the word `issued', because that does not necessarily mean it is the day that it is actually mailed out by IRCC.

Reactions: medwiz