+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal - March - April 2017 Applications

FM007

Jul 25, 2017
were you able to get mocement certificates . i m in a similar situation . maybe you can suggest something. what docs did u submit as proo of residence
am not saying i know it all but the best bet would be to get a letter from your parents or any body close with medical report of your grand mother and enclose a self attested letter to prove the relation or any document which can link your parents to her and you to your parents

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
Hello, good job!
How do we obtain entry/exit reports from countries we visited? Are the entry/exit stamps in the passports not enough to prove travel history?
Well, it depends on the countries you visited. Either from Airports (entry/exit departments), online (USA) or contacting embassies in Canada. I highly recommend everyone to limit their travels to minimum till getting the citizenship. The stamps should be enough, if you provide a colored copies of all previous passports that you have used. In Canada, no one can predict what would happen, all depends on the officer.

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
My wife sent her PR renewal application on 5th June and it reached there on 9th June. Today she got AOR, the mail was signed off sincerely, permanent resident card Center,Sydney. Does this mean the the card is being processed or is it standard reply ?

Longying

Aug 3, 2017
Hi
I wanna ask can I leave Canada with an expired PR card?

Because I already bought my flight ticket on 18 AUG
and my 1st PR card was expired on 16 JUL.
I already mail my renewal PR card application form on 20 JUN.
I afraid that i cant get my 2nd PR card back before 18 AUG.

I checked online stats but nothing to show and I still do not get any email, so i am planning that leave Canada with an expired PR card...:(

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I wanna ask can I leave Canada with an expired PR card?

Because I already bought my flight ticket on 18 AUG
and my 1st PR card was expired on 16 JUL.
I already mail my renewal PR card application form on 20 JUN.
I afraid that i cant get my 2nd PR card back before 18 AUG.

I checked online stats but nothing to show and I still do not get any email, so i am planning that leave Canada with an expired PR card
Yes, a PR may leave Canada despite not having a valid PR card. Where the PR can travel is, of course, dictated by the traveler's passport subject to visas and such from intended destination(s).

Canada has no rules or laws which restrict PRs traveling abroad.

For a PR whose PR card has expired, the problem comes when trying to fly back to Canada. A PR needs either a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document in order to be allowed aboard a flight headed to Canada (there are some exceptions, such as for U.S. citizens). PRs with status to travel via the U.S. can skirt this restriction by flying to the U.S. and then traveling to a land border crossing in private transportation.

Summary: OK to leave Canada. Be sure you can obtain a PR TD or travel via the U.S. when it is time to return to Canada.

Longying

Aug 3, 2017
Yes, a PR may leave Canada despite not having a valid PR card. Where the PR can travel is, of course, dictated by the traveler's passport subject to visas and such from intended destination(s).

For a PR whose PR card has expired, the problem comes when trying to fly back to Canada. A PR needs either a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document in order to be allowed aboard a flight headed to Canada (there are some exceptions, such as for U.S. citizens). PRs with status to travel via the U.S. can skirt this restriction by flying to the U.S. and then traveling to a land border crossing in private transportation.

Summary: OK to leave Canada. Be sure you can obtain a PR TD or travel via the U.S. when it is time to return to Canada.
Thanks
So if my PR card are received by my family, so they can mail it to me n i can take the new one come bk

Longying

Aug 3, 2017

I want something to prove it to my family that i can leave to Canada. Because my family keep saying that it wont happen it is impossible to leave Canada without PR card blahblahblah!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I want something to prove it to my family that i can leave to Canada. Because my family keep saying that it wont happen it is impossible to leave Canada without PR card

So if my PR card are received by my family, so they can mail it to me n i can take the new one come bk
To be clear, there is nothing in the Canadian rules which prohibit or restrict leaving Canada without a valid PR card. But that does not mean doing so is risk free. There are risks. The nature and extent of the risks depend on the specific individual and particular circumstances.

In particular, other circumstances govern whether, for a particular individual, there is a risk of losing PR status or otherwise not being allowed to return to Canada. For example, it is risky for a PR to go abroad without a valid PR card unless the PR is fully confident he or she will be able to obtain a PR Travel Document in order to board a flight back to Canada. Not a good idea to rely on being mailed the new PR card while abroad.

Note that IRCC can require, and for many PRC renewals does require, an individual to personally appear at a local office for a counter interview prior to delivering a new PR card. That is, there is no guarantee that IRCC will mail the PR card to your home address. In the past, this has been especially true when IRCC became aware the PR was outside Canada.

In other cases, where IRCC perceives the PR is abroad, IRCC has in effect suspended (in a practical sense, not formally) PR card processing until the PR has returned to Canada.

How much risk there is in such situations depends on the individual PR's history and circumstances. A PR who is in no danger that IRCC might suspect a breach of the PR Residency Obligation, for example, has a much lower risk of things going awry and not being able to obtain a PR TD for the return trip.

My guess is your family is mostly worried about you keeping your PR status rather than technically whether you will be allowed to board a flight leaving Canada. Whether or not their worries are warranted, and to what extent, I cannot guess. The risks depend on your particular history and circumstances.

Longying

Aug 3, 2017
To be clear, there is nothing in the Canadian rules which prohibit or restrict leaving Canada without a valid PR card. But that does not mean doing so is risk free. There are risks. The nature and extent of the risks depend on the specific individual and particular circumstances.

In particular, other circumstances govern whether, for a particular individual, there is a risk of losing PR status or otherwise not being allowed to return to Canada. For example, it is risky for a PR to go abroad without a valid PR card unless the PR is fully confident he or she will be able to obtain a PR Travel Document in order to board a flight back to Canada. Not a good idea to rely on being mailed the new PR card while abroad.

Note that IRCC can require, and for many PRC renewals does require, an individual to personally appear at a local office for a counter interview prior to delivering a new PR card. That is, there is no guarantee that IRCC will mail the PR card to your home address. In the past, this has been especially true when IRCC became aware the PR was outside Canada.

In other cases, where IRCC perceives the PR is abroad, IRCC has in effect suspended (in a practical sense, not formally) PR card processing until the PR has returned to Canada.

How much risk there is in such situations depends on the individual PR's history and circumstances. A PR who is in no danger that IRCC might suspect a breach of the PR Residency Obligation, for example, has a much lower risk of things going awry and not being able to obtain a PR TD for the return trip.

My guess is your family is mostly worried about you keeping your PR status rather than technically whether you will be allowed to board a flight leaving Canada. Whether or not their worries are warranted, and to what extent, I cannot guess. The risks depend on your particular history and circumstances.
I called to CIC, n they said impossible to get my 2nd PR card before Aug18, n they recommend me to apply travel document to come bk to Canada when im outside of Canada

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
PRTD mostly can approve or is hard to approve?
Depends.

for application form, checklist, and instructions see links here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

Among key considerations is how long it can take. This can vary from visa office to visa office.

Another consideration is which visa office will process the application for the PR TD, some being more difficult (apparently) than others, some taking longer time to process it than others, and the risks involved in sending in one's passport if, in particular, the visa office is in a country other than the one you are in.

Proof of compliance with the PR Residency Obligation needs to be submitted with the PR TD application. PRs who are cutting-it-close (less than half time spent in Canada for example) or who are not currently settled and living permanently in Canada, can be at risk, including but not limited to a risk it will take the visa office longer to process the PR TD application.

In contrast, a PR who has spent the last four or so years living and working in Canada, who will be spending just a few weeks in a country such as the UK, long enough to be OK to wait for the PR TD to be processed, but not so long as to have moved to live in the UK, can be quite confident a PR TD will be promptly issued.

In-between the cutting-it-close PR and the having been long settled and living in Canada PR, the risks vary.

Review the application, checklist, and the instructions, including those regarding proof of compliance with the PR Residency Obligation.

PHCA

Aug 1, 2017
Calgary, AB
LANDED..........
Depends.

for application form, checklist, and instructions see links here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

Among key considerations is how long it can take. This can vary from visa office to visa office.

Another consideration is which visa office will process the application for the PR TD, some being more difficult (apparently) than others, some taking longer time to process it than others, and the risks involved in sending in one's passport if, in particular, the visa office is in a country other than the one you are in.

Proof of compliance with the PR Residency Obligation needs to be submitted with the PR TD application. PRs who are cutting-it-close (less than half time spent in Canada for example) or who are not currently settled and living permanently in Canada, can be at risk, including but not limited to a risk it will take the visa office longer to process the PR TD application.

In contrast, a PR who has spent the last four or so years living and working in Canada, who will be spending just a few weeks in a country such as the UK, long enough to be OK to wait for the PR TD to be processed, but not so long as to have moved to live in the UK, can be quite confident a PR TD will be promptly issued.

In-between the cutting-it-close PR and the having been long settled and living in Canada PR, the risks vary.

Review the application, checklist, and the instructions, including those regarding proof of compliance with the PR Residency Obligation.
Hi, so I will be reaching 730 days in Canada on October 30, 2017. I am planning to apply for urgent renewal maybe in first week of January 2018 because I am planning to cover expenses and care for my grandmother's operation in late February so I need to go back to Manila.

I am preparing proofs of residency for my renewal application so that they will have everything they need (hopefully) and not delay process. I am just confused about exit/entry reports. I have travelled to US and Japan in the last 5 years. I have stamps in my passport.
Are those enough entry/exit reports?
Also, if they do not approve urgent renewal and I apply PRTD in Manila. Having more than 730 days and proofs such as tax files, pay stubs for the past 2years, lease agreement for 2 years (ending in May 2018), bank statements, employment letter/certificate, etc. Do you think I am still at risk of not getting PRTD or delayed process?

Lastly, I am a PR and my Philippines passport will expire in May 2018. Does it need to be 6 months valid upon returning to Canada with PRTD?

Thanks in advance!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi, so I will be reaching 730 days in Canada on October 30, 2017. I am planning to apply for urgent renewal maybe in first week of January 2018 because I am planning to cover expenses and care for my grandmother's operation in late February so I need to go back to Manila.

I am preparing proofs of residency for my renewal application so that they will have everything they need (hopefully) and not delay process. I am just confused about exit/entry reports. I have travelled to US and Japan in the last 5 years. I have stamps in my passport.
Are those enough entry/exit reports?
Also, if they do not approve urgent renewal and I apply PRTD in Manila. Having more than 730 days and proofs such as tax files, pay stubs for the past 2years, lease agreement for 2 years (ending in May 2018), bank statements, employment letter/certificate, etc. Do you think I am still at risk of not getting PRTD or delayed process?

Lastly, I am a PR and my Philippines passport will expire in May 2018. Does it need to be 6 months valid upon returning to Canada with PRTD?

Thanks in advance!
Cutting-it-close is risky. Especially this close. No way around that.

The situation with your grandmother is very unfortunate. It may persuade the visa office to issue a PR TD on H&C grounds if your proof of PR Residency Obligation compliance is deemed less than sufficient. But this is cutting-it-close. How it goes can depend a lot on many of the other particular circumstances in your situation. Very difficult to forecast these things.

Pay stubs covering a full two years should really help tip the scales in a positive direction, depending on the credibility of the employer (if the employer is a small business, especially a family member or friend, then not so much). Passport stamps do not carry a lot of positive weight (they document travel on those dates, but do not necessarily mean there was no other travel in-between). Other stuff is mostly passive evidence, which can be a big help in some situations but not enough in others. Cutting-it-so-close tends to invite scrutiny and skepticism.

Likewise the request for urgent processing. Maybe, with good supporting documentation from medical care providers, including as to the need for personal care from a family member, and proof there are no other family members who can provide this. Hard to forecast.

PHCA

Aug 1, 2017
Calgary, AB
LANDED..........
Cutting-it-close is risky. Especially this close. No way around that.

The situation with your grandmother is very unfortunate. It may persuade the visa office to issue a PR TD on H&C grounds if your proof of PR Residency Obligation compliance is deemed less than sufficient. But this is cutting-it-close. How it goes can depend a lot on many of the other particular circumstances in your situation. Very difficult to forecast these things.

Pay stubs covering a full two years should really help tip the scales in a positive direction, depending on the credibility of the employer (if the employer is a small business, especially a family member or friend, then not so much). Passport stamps do not carry a lot of positive weight (they document travel on those dates, but do not necessarily mean there was no other travel in-between). Other stuff is mostly passive evidence, which can be a big help in some situations but not enough in others. Cutting-it-so-close tends to invite scrutiny and skepticism.

Likewise the request for urgent processing. Maybe, with good supporting documentation from medical care providers, including as to the need for personal care from a family member, and proof there are no other family members who can provide this. Hard to forecast.
Hey, what did you mean by "no way around that"?
I thought if you complete 730 days in the past 5 years, then they have no reason to decline application for renewal? How come I need to appeal for H&C grounds for PRTD application? I checked the form and it was asking for 730 days as well, and some evidences that I have. I work in the same hotel (well-known brand) since November 2015, and I have all my past stubs from start to present.

I lived in the US from July 2013-July 2014 for my internship to finish school. Went back to Philippines and graduated college in August 2015. Left October 30, 2015 to come back here. prior to buying ticket, I wrote a letter to Canadian Embassy in Manila for permission to return and explanation why I had to leave, considering I have been away since July 2011. They wrote me back with general answer saying as long as my PR is valid then I can return. Upon arrival I had to speak with immigration officer and he checked the letter and my documents, asked a few questions about it and let me enter.

I am so worried, please help. Been stressing about this situation for months. Even talked to a lawyer and consultant last year before my PR card expired in December 2016. They told me to complete 730 days before applying for renewal.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Please do not misunderstand what I will post below. This is not to chastise you.

But it appears you are hanging everything on a technicality (just barely meeting the minimum presence obligation), one that depends on IRCC accepting your accounting of the facts, but overlooking other potentially negative factors and in particular ignoring the impact of being in breach of the PR Residency Obligation for nearly three years now, still being in breach, continuing to be in breach until the end of October.

It could happen, possibly, that IRCC will promptly, routinely issue a new PR card just three or four months after you have been in breach of the PR RO for over three years. Perhaps even give the application urgent processing. It is possible. You give IRCC information asserting compliance with the PR RO, throw in some supporting evidence, and IRCC accepts it without questions or non-routine processing. That could happen.

There is a big risk that is not how it will go. I cannot quantify the risks. I am guessing, though, in your situation a PRC application in January has a rather high risk, a very high risk of non-routine processing. Frankly, it would be crazy to expect IRCC to routinely accept your account of the facts and routinely issue a new PR card, let alone expecting urgent processing for a new PR card, applying just two months after being in breach of the PR RO for over three years.

I do not always connect posts in one topic from the same individual in another topic. But I vaguely remembered responding to some other query you made in another topic.

While there are undoubtedly many other particular facts and circumstances which loom large in your situation, the following illuminate enough to put a January 2018 PRC application into perspective:

May 2011 - Landed in Canada. Left 3 months after to finish my degree.
October 2015 - Returned to Canada a month after my graduation, and has not left since.
December 2016 - PR card expired. So right now I am still waiting for October 2017 to complete my 730 days here in Canada.
You are not merely cutting-it-close. You are currently in breach of the PR Residency Obligation. You have been in breach of the PR RO since at least September 2014 (once you were outside of Canada for 1095 days after you landed). You will continue to be in breach of the PR RO until the end of October.

You have been outside Canada well over two-thirds of the time since you became a PR. That does not exactly show a record of settling in Canada to live here permanently.

You appear to confuse the extremely lenient minimum PR Residency Obligation, which is intended to facilitate a broad, broad range of contingencies and emergencies in life, as if meeting that bare minimum is consistent with the purpose of Canada granting PR status. Reminder: the purpose of granting PR status is so the individual can settle and live permanently in Canada.

Hey, what did you mean by "no way around that"?
I thought if you complete 730 days in the past 5 years, then they have no reason to decline application for renewal? How come I need to appeal for H&C grounds for PRTD application? I checked the form and it was asking for 730 days as well, and some evidences that I have. I work in the same hotel (well-known brand) since November 2015, and I have all my past stubs from start to present.
No one at IRCC has access to a crystal ball. There is no absolute-truth record where a processing agent can just look into the file and confirm how many days a PR has been in Canada, how many days outside Canada.

"It's not what you know, it's what you can prove." To quote a Denzel Washington character in a cop movie, which can be all too close to how it works if and when what the facts are is challenged.

Just cutting-it-close invites a challenge. You have, in contrast, clearly been in breach of the PR RO for years.

If a reasonable person has cause to doubt an individual's account about where he or she has been during the last five years, but knows where that person was most of the time, it is reasonable to infer that person was there, where he or she was most of the time, unless there is direct proof otherwise.

Were you inside Canada or outside Canada most of the time during the last five years. Clue: two years is less than half of five years.

Again, Canada grants PR status so that an individual can settle and live permanently in Canada. That's the purpose for granting PR. When a PR lives outside Canada more than the PR is inside Canada, contrary to the purpose for which PR status was granted, that is obviously going to raise questions if not overt concerns.

Odds are not good that you will be able to obtain a new PR card in time to travel abroad in February.

Regarding obtaining a PR Travel Document:

I am really sorry about the situation with your grandmother, but if you leave Canada without a valid PR card there is at least a very substantial risk your return to Canada could be delayed. The PR Travel Document could take significantly longer to process than three weeks. There is a risk the PR TD application could be denied and you would need to appeal. Then, attendant making an appeal, you would need to make another application for a special PR TD to return to Canada pending the appeal. All of that could take a significant amount of time, during which you would not be able to return to Canada, until you obtained the PR TD, or had status to travel via the U.S. and could use private transportation to cross a land border into Canada.

That is, depending on just what proof you will have to submit with a PR TD application, there are some significant risks it could be difficult to get a PR TD.

How great that risk is might depend on how strong your proof is of having worked in Canada for two years prior to going abroad. Pay stubs and T4s from a readily recognized Canadian business, that would improve your odds of the PR TD being processed more or less routinely. In contrast, having pay stubs from a small, low-profile employer, or especially from a sole proprietor or family member or friend, could make proving the case a little more difficult.

Part of the problem is that if you are abroad without a valid PR card, you are presumed to not have valid PR status.

Technically the statute states: ". . . a person who is outside Canada and who does not present a status document indicating permanent resident status is presumed not to have permanent resident status."
See IRPA Section 31(2)(b) at http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/page-8.html#docCont
The "status document" is a reference to a PR card.

That is a rebuttable presumption, and for most PRs readily, even easily rebutted. And actually that is what the PR TD application process is about, the PR submitting sufficient proof of PR status and compliance with the PR RO, so that the visa office will issue a PR TD.

But your history is almost certain to invite not just a more thorough review, but a more skeptical approach.

But there are many other aspects to your situation which may have significant influence. Those could have either positive or negative influence depending on what they are.

One circumstance which may be relevant is how things went at the PoE when you returned to Canada in October 2015. You were already in breach of the PR RO then, by over a year. How and why you were not reported on that occasion could be a relevant factor. And again, that could be either negative or positive.

Overall, however, the odds appear high that traveling abroad early next year will have substantial risks.