+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal Inquiry

amit57

Jun 6, 2010
Hi, i will appreciate if i can get a valuable advise in regards to my PR Card Renewal.
I have stayed in Canada for almost 1150 days and i am currently in Overseas. My card is nearing expiration date and due to some
family situations, i wish to spend some extra time but by then my card will be expired.
- Would you recommend to enter Canada before renewal date or any other option is available as well.

- Another scenario if i leave and enter Canada before the expiry date and by the time i file my renewal application, the PR Card will
be expired. Would there be any issues in that case. Also, is there any time limit to reapply for renewal after its been expired.

A valuable advise from all will be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your card is invalid and you want to re-enter Canada, you can go to the nearest Canadian consulate to apply a permenant resident travel document.

Besides, you need to renew your PR card inside Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can not apply to renew a PR card from outside Canada. Wait until you are ready to go back to Canada and then apply for a PR travel document at the embassy. There is no time limit except that you have to have at least 730 days in Canada in the previous 5 years at the time you apply. Do not cut it too close because you need time to wait for the travel document, could take 1-4 weeks depending on the embassy and you need time to get to Canada. You still need 730 days in Canada in the previous 5 yrs. at the time you apply for the PR card renewal.

amit57

Jun 6, 2010
Thanks for your reply. But please suggest as i had mentioned that i had stayed in Canada for almost 1150 days and by the time i apply for my renewal of PR Card in Canada my card will be expired by then. Would there be any issue or i am in a safe position.

Next is if i am in safe position since i had lived for more than 730 days in Canada and decide to stay in Overseas for some more time to handle personal affairs, would there be any problem in getting a temporary travel document to return to Canada and then apply for renewal in Canada.

Your valuable suggestions will be greatly appreciated. - Thanks!!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no issue as long as you still meet the residency requirements of 730 in the last 5 years at the time you apply for the travel document and at the time you apply to renew your PR card. If some of your 1150 days in Canada were exactly 5 years ago, you will be losing one of them every day the longer you stay overseas because only the previous 5 years count from the date you apply. Time in Canada before the previous 5 years does not count.