+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal Delay

Mazda323

May 10, 2014
Our family immigrated to Canada in December 2008 as a permanent resident status .As our PR cards were due to expired in February 2014 and April 2014, we applied for the renewal of PR card in October 2013.
After some time, I checked the application status on-line. It showed that Under Decision made
1 We received your application for a permanent resident card on 17, October 2013
2 we started processing your application on 22, November 2013
3 your request for a permanent resident card was approved on 25, November 2013, your permanent resident card will be mailed to you or if quality assurance is required, made available for you to pick up at a CIC office.
4 We transferred your application to the local CIC office on 25, November 2013.The local CIC office may contact you.
In 14 January, I received a letter from CIC office Vancouver saying that “Your Application for PR card was refered from the case processing centre in Sydney to the local office for determination of permanent resident status.” And requested submit following records within 60 days.
1 Records of movements-5 years
2 Every page of all passports during the last 5 years
3 copies of income tax returns, T4 and Notice of Assessments for 5 years
4 Written explanations for all absences and reasons for not returning to the Canada at the earliest possible.
5 Proof you have established ties and linkage in Canada
6 completed and signed form-IMM5511
I have sent all the requested information and according to call centre, CIC received the information on 7th March 2014.
I contacted the call centre several time and their answer is still the officers are working on our applications
I have following questions
1 It is now more than 200 days since CIC received our application and If I deduct the 55 days I have taken to submit the information requested by CIC Vancouver, I is almost 150 days why still we did not receive our PR cards?
2 According to the CIC- Decision made is Approval Status Determined
“Your application will be either approved or rejected. You will be informed of the decision.
If your application is approved, you will be notified by mail within four weeks and invited to pick up your card at the CIC office closest to you.
If your application is rejected, you will be notified of the decision by mail.”
According to CIC, My PR card was approved on 25, November 2013
.Why the case processing centre in Sydney referred my application to CIC local office for Determination of Permanent Resident status?
There are no positive answers from the call centre. Is there any e-mail address to contact CIC?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. How many days of physical presence in the 5 year period prior to application date did you have?

2. What was the reason for your absence from Canada?

3. CIC have gone for a full Residency Review as they have issue you both an RQ and an Absence Record request.

4. Once your are referred to the Local Office and RQd then you are outside the normal processing times. Cases such as your easily take 12+ months to resolve especially if you have to attend an interview.

5. CIC at Sidney and/or Local CIC Office can and do carry out a second stage review of first stage approvals. It doesn't seem to be a Quality Assurance thing so something on your file flagged up a concern. Did you use a 3rd party such as an immigration consultant to submit?

Mazda323

May 10, 2014
Thank you very much for the reply. During the last 5 years, we were only less than 100 days away from Canada (In 2 occasions),Both times we visited to see our parents. We did apply ourselves without consulting a 3rd party.

Mazda323

May 10, 2014
This is further to my inquiry on PR card renewal delay.My elder daughter is presently studying in a University.Today she applied for a University grant and the officials refused to give her the grant as the PR card is expired. That means after expire the PR card,we loose our PR status too , isn't it? According to my knowledge,PR card is only for entering to the country.Is there any way to expedite our application.

Matt the Aussie

Mar 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-07-2013
Med's Request
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
18-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2014
LANDED..........
11-04-2014
This is incorrect.

Your PR status is "Permanent". You can never lose it simply because the card you have expires. You lose PR status only if CIC/CBSA has reason to investigate your actions and finds you in breach. Most often this is when you don't meet the RO and present at the border.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mazda323 said:
This is further to my inquiry on PR card renewal delay.My elder daughter is presently studying in a University.Today she applied for a University grant and the officials refused to give her the grant as the PR card is expired. That means after expire the PR card,we loose our PR status too , isn't it? According to my knowledge,PR card is only for entering to the country.Is there any way to expedite our application.
If she is currently out of Canada and the PR Card is already expired, it would be difficult to enter Canada directly by any flight. In order to renew the PR card she should be inside Canada. The main obstacle is at the POE while re-entry without a valid PR Card. If she succeed to enter without getting reported, it is fine.