+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card renewal amid COVID-19 scenario

Orlaith

Nov 15, 2013
Ok! So it looks like I can fly to the US and get myself up to Syracuse. I am wonder if.....
(1) My husband can come to Syracuse with someone in another car and leave my car for me so I can drive back in isolation
(2) If I need to hire a car to drive to Canada in Isolation
and if it is (2)....
Does anyone know if there is a way to hire a car that can then be left in Canada from Syracuse?
Lots of questions! Sorry!

shettyhemant

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
Ok! So it looks like I can fly to the US and get myself up to Syracuse. I am wonder if.....
(1) My husband can come to Syracuse with someone in another car and leave my car for me so I can drive back in isolation
and if it is (2)....
Does anyone know if there is a way to hire a car that can then be left in Canada from Syracuse?
You may want to check if the US-Canada land border is open for individuals. The last I heard was that they will keep the borders closed for another month.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
and if it is (2)....
1. As I said in your other thread, that is non-essential travel, so not allowed. Even if it was allowed, your husband and the other person would then be required to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival back in Canada.

2. Just have your car left on the Canadian side and walk across the border.

Orlaith

Nov 15, 2013
1. As I said in your other thread, that is non-essential travel, so not allowed. Even if it was allowed, your husband and the other person would then be required to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival back in Canada.

2. Just have your car left on the Canadian side and walk across the border.
Thank you for your advice. Most appreciated. Seems like an unsurmountable task right now.

Veena H

May 27, 2020
Hi, I have travelled from Toronto on 18th March. Immediately after that lockdown was imposed in India as well as Canada. My PR card expired on 28Th April while i m outside Canada with travel restrictions. How do i enter Canada with expired PR?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I have travelled from Toronto on 18th March. Immediately after that lockdown was imposed in India as well as Canada. My PR card expired on 28Th April while i m outside Canada with travel restrictions. How do i enter Canada with expired PR?
You either have to go through the US or get a PRTD. Assume you are compliant with your RO?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Concur with response by @canuck78

For further clarification: as a PR the issue is not how to "enter" Canada with an expired PR Card (PR status itself does not expire). The issue is how do you manage to make the trip to Canada, since most PRs need to present either a valid PR Card or a PR Travel Document, in conjunction with their passport, to be allowed abroad an airline flight headed to Canada. As @canuck references, there is a an alternative if the PR can travel via the U.S., and that is to fly to the U.S. and then go to a land border crossing into Canada.

For a PR who has been living and settled permanently in Canada for some time, no hint of any Residency Obligation compliance issues, applying for and being issued a PR Travel Document should not be a problem.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that a PRTD should be not problem to obtain if you are compliant with your RO. The big problem is that many offices are currently closed or only providing consular support in emergency circumstances so it could be a while before you receive a PRTD.

faraz999

Star Member
Mar 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2014
Doc's Request.
Photo Req. - 05-02-2015 & Schedule A - 10-06-2015
Nomination.....
17-12-2014
So this is a weird time for everything ... my PR card expires in Jan 2021 and I meet my RO by mid August , I thought I have enough of a safe period to apply and have it done to not effect any travel requirement but that’s not the case anymore currently the time indicated on CIC for renewal is 287 days ~ 9.5 months any advise how to approach this

Kanedaa

Mar 2, 2020
LANDED..........
08-27-2015
So this is a weird time for everything ... my PR card expires in Jan 2021 and I meet my RO by mid August , I thought I have enough of a safe period to apply and have it done to not effect any travel requirement but that’s not the case anymore currently the time indicated on CIC for renewal is 287 days ~ 9.5 months any advise how to approach this
We are in the same boat exactly...

faraz999

Star Member
Mar 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2014
Doc's Request.
Photo Req. - 05-02-2015 & Schedule A - 10-06-2015
Nomination.....
17-12-2014
We are in the same boat exactly...
so far from what I have read ... our only plan of action is to wait to reach the RO and Apply ... hopefully CIC get back at it in Q4 and that processing time drops. I am digging into the application process for a TD incase I have to travel post JAN.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The processing time was so high because there was no processing during lockdown. As processing starts times should go down.

Orlaith

Nov 15, 2013
The processing time was so high because there was no processing during lockdown. As processing starts times should go down.
I hope you are right canuk78. I am now beyond the stated 132 days though..... so I will be keeping a close eye on here and am hopeful that we will start to hear from those who applied in February and March that they are getting their renewed cards! Let me know if you see any indications that the 132 days is really true. I won't be surprised to check again in a week and see it way back up over 300!

Feb2004

Feb 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa (OPNP)
NOC Code......
NA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-8-2014
Nomination.....
11-8-2014
AOR Received.
29-10-2014
IELTS Request
Med's Request
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
1-12-2014
Interview........
PCC & RPRF 21-5-2015 (in process);PCC reached 4th June, RPRF paid 5th June.
Passport Req..
DM & PPR 13 Aug
VISA ISSUED...
20 Aug 2015. PP & COPR recd 26-8-2015
LANDED..........
6 Sept 2015
Hi, my PR card will expire this month and I am applying for renewal soon. I plan to call my parents to Canada and they need to show my PR card as status proof for immediate relatives exemption. I meet the RO. But will the PR card status affect my parents travel? Thanks