+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card, Please help!

windsorguy

Oct 11, 2009
Hello:

I got my PR(maple) card in 2005. It will expire in Feb, 2010. I lived in Canada for four years and applied for citizenship on Feb. 2009 before I came to US for a new job. Currently the citizenship process is slow.

My question is before my citizenship is approved, my PR card will be already expired. What is the good way for me to go back to Canada from US for citizenship test when my PR is expired?

Since my wife is still liveing in Canada, I come back to Canada to see my wife occasionally for couple of days for each trip, can I renew my PR card?

Thank you very much for your advice!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can apply for a new PR card using your wifes address but they will not mail it there like the first one. They will send a letter and you have to go there and pick it up. Currently it's taking 129 days, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#pr_card so if you want to see it before yours expires, you should apply now. If it doesn't come before your expires, if you are coming by car, you can use your landing documents to get in. You could go to an embassy in the US and get a travel document issued. You can also try it with an expired PR card but you might have a bit of a hassle with that.

windsorguy

Oct 11, 2009
Leon:

Thank you so much for advice!

If my PR card expired and I drive my car to Canada using my landling paper as you suggested, what is the difference between using expired PR card and the landing paper (I guess the data/date in landing paper also showes that I already landed on 2005 and PR card should be expired already). I checked my landing paper that there is "Not Valid for travel" on it.

Thanks again, Leon!

windsorguy

Oct 11, 2009
Leno:

Another question. In PR renew application form, I need to fill out all work locations for past five years. If fill out that my recent job position
is in the US not in Canada, will I be rejected for PR renew?

Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Other members of this board have recently been asking about entering Canada without a PR card and have been told that a PR card is not needed to enter Canada with a private vehicle. You can ask the border services at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/menu-eng.html

There was also a woman some months ago who came in on an expired PR card because she had not noticed it was expired before she left. She was pulled aside and had to wait a bit but then was told that it's really common now that the first PR cards have started to expire that people don't notice.

However, if you apply now, you should have the new one before the old one expires.

They can see that you are working in the US and living in the US as well since you list your absences from Canada but at the time you apply, they do not know that you haven't moved back to Canada. They are not supposed to give you a new PR card unless you are in Canada and you will be in Canada at the time you apply.

windsorguy

Oct 11, 2009
Leon:

I have another question for you. Can I take the photo for PR card in US, not in Canada? Is it necessary that
I have to get the photo sealed on the back for the date that the photo is taken?

Have a nice weekend!

Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Getting the photos right for immigration can be tricky, even in Canada. Print out the instructions, pick a photographer, give them the instructions and make sure you don't pay (or at least don't leave without your money back) until the photos are exactly the way they are supposed to be. They shouldn't have a problem putting their stamp on the back and the date. The tricky part is getting the right size of photo and the right size of your head in the photo. I had photos done for my PR card renewal in a mall in Canada and the photographer couldn't get them right. In the end, I demanded my money back and went to another photographer at the same mall who could do it.

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
hmmmm...it seems like applying for the PR card once one is landed isn't that easy.
I provided the officer upon arrival and landing with the address of my family who lives in Toronto for more than 3 decades and the officer rejected the address by telling me that It wasn't necessary and not accepted and may fill out the form with my own address next time I enter Canada and which province or city I decide to reside. I told him that I was going to stay in Toronto to be closer to family and friends and as I am more familiar with GTO but yet again he refused to fill out the form.
Friends and family told me the day after that I could fill out the form anyway and provide them their address and they won't ask, but I didn't do it and listen to the officer and what I was told by him.
Hopefully, next time I visit Canada, I ll be able to stay, find a place to stay and then will apply for the PR card. Right now I am just a landed immigrant with bank account etc but No PR and/or SIN yet.

Hope it won't be a problem.

btw, I ll be back in Toronto within 6 months for sure.

windsorguy

Oct 11, 2009
I am now working in US but my wife is living in Canada.

In PR application form, can I fill in both the current residential address and mailing address with Canada address, or I have to use US address for current residential address? If I use US address as current residential address, can my appliaction get approved? I have to fill in my US company address also. So I think it is hard to get PR approved if I use US address. Please let me share your experience. Thanks!

windsorguy

Oct 11, 2009
Leon:

From the instrution, the photo for PR card renew needs to be date on photo's back when the photo is taken.

Could you please tell me if I can write the date on the back or I have to get it sealed with the date?

Thanks!

Have a nice weekend!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know what you mean by sealed. When I have been getting the photos done, usually the photographer writes the date and puts his stamp on the back. There's no "sealing" done.

windsorguy

Oct 11, 2009
Leon:

If I applied for travel document in US (if my PR has not got approved by then), how long I can get it after submit my application.
How long the travel document is valid for traveling back to CANADA, one year? Is it multiple entry or limited entry?

Thanks!