+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card on landing - the catch 22

rb.emailme

Mar 18, 2008
Hi,
We completed our landing process via road from the US and returned the same day to US. During landing, the canadian IO at Peace Bridge did not accept our friends address to mail the PR card and we were told to provide the canadian address within 180 days for PR or reapply. No form or any info was provided to us on how to do that.

a) What options do we have to provide our friends address in canada when we are outside Canada ? Will that still be acceptable (when updating the address from CIC website it does not provide any confirmation of address change)

b) What does reapply after 180 days mean ? Do we have to go thru the whole application process again that took over a year ?

c) Will our PR status be valid if we are outside Canada and do not have PR card in 180 days ? In other words are we considered a PR and have to adhere to 1095 days outside rule ?

d) Can anybody share some experience in similar situation?

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rb.emailme said:
Hi,
We completed our landing process via road from the US and returned the same day to US. During landing, the canadian IO at Peace Bridge did not accept our friends address to mail the PR card and we were told to provide the canadian address within 180 days for PR or reapply. No form or any info was provided to us on how to do that.

a) What options do we have to provide our friends address in canada when we are outside Canada ? Will that still be acceptable (when updating the address from CIC website it does not provide any confirmation of address change)

b) What does reapply after 180 days mean ? Do we have to go thru the whole application process again that took over a year ?

c) Will our PR status be valid if we are outside Canada and do not have PR card in 180 days ? In other words are we considered a PR and have to adhere to 1095 days outside rule ?

d) Can anybody share some experience in similar situation?

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
1. No you don't lose your PR. All it means that if you don't return to Canada or supply CIC with a Canadian address within a 180 days, you will have to apply for new PR Cards, {the cards not PR} and pay the fee.

PMM

rb.emailme

Mar 18, 2008
Thanks PMM.
We have provided the canadian address thru the CIC site but it not show the new mailing address once we check again..Dont think its updating . Is there any way to confirm if the new address has been updated ?
Secondly, can you reapply for PR cards after 180 days if you are outside canada ?
I have searched around ..but the information on these topics is quite hazy so wondering if you could advise.

Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rb.emailme said:
Thanks PMM.
We have provided the canadian address thru the CIC site but it not show the new mailing address once we check again..Dont think its updating . Is there any way to confirm if the new address has been updated ?
Secondly, can you reapply for PR cards after 180 days if you are outside canada ?
I have searched around ..but the information on these topics is quite hazy so wondering if you could advise.

Thanks.
1. No way to confirm other than ecas.
2. No, you have to be in Canada to apply for a PR card.

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If they are not in Canada, they can't contact the call centre because the number only works from within Canada. What they could do is get a friend who has 3 way calling to call for them and then add them to the call.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
If they are not in Canada, they can't contact the call centre because the number only works from within Canada. What they could do is get a friend who has 3 way calling to call for them and then add them to the call.
They can try the following no. during working hours, it works sometimes from out of Canada. 1 613 944 4000 (for an agent: options 1,2,1,2,1 ... then 0 to skip the message)

PMM

rb.emailme

Mar 18, 2008
PMM/Leon,
Noticed that in ecas we show our new mailing address in canada. Looks like it was updated from the address change we submitted online few weeks ago (from campbell cohen address to friends address) . So we did not call the number you gave.
Wondering if you could provide some inputs on following:
- Will the PR cards now be mailed automatically to this new address once the address is changed or we have to go thru some other process ?
- If yes, how long does it take to issue the card if the address is updated or is there a way to know the status?
- On ecas , only the mailing address shows the new address but the home address is blank. Although when updating online we had put the home address same as mailing address. So not sure if the home address also needs updating ?
As always, any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not know if changing the address online is enough to trigger them to send you the PR cards to that address. A woman who landed recently stated that the IO had given her a form to fill out and fax to them regarding address change to get her PR card sent to her.

Once they have the address, getting the PR card should take the same amount of time as it would have taken if the address had been accepted when you landed. Right now, the official timeline is 30 days.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would recommend calling the call centre to make sure that they have your address and that they will send you the PR card.

nix1

Nov 16, 2008
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys, need some advice!

I logged on to eCAS using my B#, Client ID and Doc No. All of the logins show my mailing address at the top of the page and it is still showing my US address. I clearly remember giving the lady at the port of entry my Canadian Address and she even took my photo and said she will use the new photo for the PR card as the photo attached to the COPR did not have white background.

I know they do not mail the card to the US address and they do not have OR at least the eCas does not show my Canadian address, Does that mean I am not getting my PR card? Is there anything I can do to get my PR card (whithout needing to travel back to Canada). I am back in the US.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can do an address change in eCAS and hope that that helps. The best approach would be to contact the call centre. I'm not sure if you can reach them from the U.S.A., but someone posted a non-toll free number somewhere which you can find with the search function. That should help.

nix1 said:
Guys, need some advice!

I logged on to eCAS using my B#, Client ID and Doc No. All of the logins show my mailing address at the top of the page and it is still showing my US address. I clearly remember giving the lady at the port of entry my Canadian Address and she even took my photo and said she will use the new photo for the PR card as the photo attached to the COPR did not have white background.

I know they do not mail the card to the US address and they do not have OR at least the eCas does not show my Canadian address, Does that mean I am not getting my PR card? Is there anything I can do to get my PR card (whithout needing to travel back to Canada). I am back in the US.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Further to PMM's telephone number, I was able to use it successfully via SKYPE OUT. The hours of operation in UTC or Greenwich Mean Time are:

UTC / GMT: 11:30 - 00:00

nix1

Nov 16, 2008
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks PMM, Karlshammar, and Toby!

I called the number provided by PMM and was able to get through (after about 10 minutes hold). I told him what I was seeing on eCAS and he told me that their system and the eCAS system are different and I may have correct address already on their system. Anyway, he asked my Canadian address and I provided that to him and he told me that cards will be mailed to that address and the cards are in production.

I also asked him if that address was already on his system and he said Yes. Still curious how others were able to see their current address by going to eCAS and I was not able to see that?