+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card (New/Renewal) Processing Timeline 2021

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
There is one fact.
Canada needs immigrants (otherwise IRCC would have refused right away).
3 years in the country over the past 5 years.
Isn't this the main indicator that a person REALLY lives in Canada and wants to live?
So why refuse him?
There are few possibilities. One: Canadian government is fractured and has divided groups within who wage an equivalent of a cold war against each other (i.e. policy makers and parliament want immigrants, in fact they want a lot of immigrants, but those in charge of facilitating immigration create all sorts of hurdles, hardships and delays, thus sabotaging within their limited control the intent of the parliament and reducing as much as they can the number of immigrants who will, if granted PR in Canada, comfortably live and stay in Canada). Second: extreme incompetence, internal chaos and lack of resources. With this post-modernist culture of loose standards, exacerbated by excuses provided by COVID pandemic, the lazy, stupid and useless bureaucrats are hired to sort through and work on half million applications. On top of that ,they are hugely overwhelmed by workload , because not enough of these lazy slabs are hired (in order to minimize expenses). This is, perhaps, the simplest explanation and if you like Occam's Razor you will prefer it. If you are into more critical thinking (paranoid, so to say), then you can add that such attitude also maximizes profit being squeezed from immigrants, by import of immigrants who are then chained to Canada to work as rikshaws on the street, and are deterred from leaving Canada, with exemplary and tortuous psychological punishment of those who applied 24 hours short of 730 days in Canada for PR renwal). Finally, the fourth possibility: we just have no clue why IRCC does what it does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aleks30

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have been in Canada for 12 years. I just went outside of country for 3 years and all these problems came up. I dont blame ircc because they do their work based on some algorithms and unfortunately sometimes these algorithms doesnt see a special case although they work great for most cases. My issue is that i got stuck in one of those special cases.
Then why didn't you apply for citizenship after the 5th year living in Canada? You could have avoided the complication.

anildelhi7

Dec 3, 2021
Can i leave Canada once i complete my 730 days and my application is in process for renewal ( RO was fullfilled when applied)?

anildelhi7

Dec 3, 2021
Can i leave Canada once i complete my 730 days and my application is in process for renewal ( RO was fullfilled when applied)?
Can i leave Canada once i complete my 730 days and my application is in process for renewal ( RO was not fullfilled when applied)?***** Correction.....RO was not fullfilled..

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
What are you talking about?
When a question arises, the question is asked!
My daughter's case at the local office WASN'T EVEN OPENED!
The application was not even considered at the local office!
She hasn't received a single call, not a single message from the local office AT ALL in 2.5 years!
The daughter marked the check boxing in the application that allows to check EVERYTHING !
Taxes, salaries, border crossing, any information.
Hides nothing!
There is no need to look for problems where they do not exist.
No need to fantasize.
I was referring to in-depth observations I offered in the thread "What is the chance of being denied a PRTD" back in October, which begin:

@Aleks30 . . . Quite likely your daughter should go to a lawyer.
While I will elaborate some, with explanations, there are signs in what you describe suggesting there is a PROBLEM and that PROBLEM might NOT be about the Residency Obligation. In fact, she appears to be solidly in compliance with the RO now. . . .
BUT there appears to be a significant risk of something else going on. Not all referrals to the local office are RO related. At this stage it appears fairly likely this delay is NOT RO related (not directly). Again, I will elaborate but it is quite apparent there is a real risk of some other problem, and if at all feasible, it is probably time for her to get a lawyer.
The OP's daughter appears to currently be in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, as she has been in Canada these past two years plus some. So she could leave Canada for an extended period of time (up to three years) and still be in compliance with the RO.

Yeah, uninformed speculating generally is not helpful. This PR, the OP's daughter, really should see a lawyer.
No fantasizing involved. I explained reasons for the observation that it would be wise to see a lawyer there. Even you recognize there is a "problem," and you complain about it. But what matters is just what the problem is. For someone who makes an application they are not eligible for, that gets complicated.

In a follow-up post, same day, I added:
It appears pretty clear that EITHER something has gotten lost or mixed-up in the local office (that's possible), OR there is a real issue at stake. There is a significant risk of the latter, a real issue, something serious, so the suggestion to see a lawyer should be taken seriously.
In any event, as I noted, your daughter's situation is VERY DIFFERENT from the routine and typical PR card application; it offers NO illumination about the routine, typical, common, or even much about most non-routine PRC application timelines. So it is OFF-topic here. So my further observations will be posted in the thread where this is the subject, where it is on-topic.

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
PR RENEWAL is taking 1 year+
Currently routine PR card renewal applications are taking four to six months. Not a year. This timeline varies over time, quite often from month to month, and sometimes subject to abrupt changes. Was less than this for a good while but has somewhat recently been creeping back up.

There is a huge difference, however, between routine and typical PR card renewal applications and PR card applications which get tangled in non-routine processing. PRC applications referred for Secondary Review, for example, have long taken six months to a year longer than routinely processed applications. PRC applications involving admissibility issues can get bogged down in extraordinarily lengthy timelines. Other factors or circumstances can knock the PRC application off the typical and routine timeline.

Applications tangled in particular issues offer little insight into processing timelines for others, and virtually NOTHING in regards to the typical or routine timeline.

Leading to a recent proliferation of off-topic stuff here. The lack of courtesy is disappointing. Given the continual variations in processing timelines for typical and routine PRC applications, a topic like this should be allowed to proceed, focused on the typical and common PR card application timeline without such disruptions and distractions.

In the meantime . . .
Can i leave Canada once i complete my 730 days and my application is in process for renewal ( RO was not fullfilled when applied)?***** Correction.....RO was not fullfilled..
There is no such thing as when a PR can "complete" their "730 days." I understand what you mean, and many refer to the Residency Obligation in a similar way. But it is important to recognize that the PR RO involves a new, different calculation each day. Sure, a PR who has been in Canada more than two years recently can leave Canada for an extended period of time and not worry about failing to comply with the RO, as they have enough credit for days in Canada to offset the time abroad. BUT understanding how this is a continuing obligation that is recalculated every day is key to grasping how it works and how to avoid RO compliance problems.

Meanwhile there is NOTHING in Canadian immigration law which in any way prohibits a PR's exit from Canada. As far as the Canadian government is concerned, the PR is free to leave Canada, at will (well, unless incarcerated for crimes or such).

In particular, Canadian immigration law does NOT exercise any control over a PR's rights to travel abroad. But this also means a PR's travel abroad is NOT facilitated or protected by Canadian law either. This is one of the big differences between Canadians who are citizens and Canadians who have PR status. The Charter of Rights protects the rights of Canadian citizens to travel internationally. NOT Canadian PRs. If and when a PR goes outside Canada, they are on their own so far as Canada is concerned (with some exceptions, including efforts to repatriate to Canada some PRs abroad during certain kind of crisis or emergencies).

If and when a PR goes outside Canada, the PR is relying on their passport (with some exceptions, such as those with refugee status), and the laws and authority of the country that issued that passport, and of course the laws in the country where the individual travels. Canadian law, Canadian rules, are not applicable, almost irrelevant . . . EXCEPT . . . and again I understand this is the real object of your query . . . except for purposes of boarding commercial transportation carrying passengers to Canada. All travelers coming to Canada must present very specific documents when seeking to board commercial transportation carrying passengers to Canada.

The latter is specifically about what is needed to board an airline flight to Canada, for example, and NOT about what is needed to be allowed entry into Canada after arriving at a Canadian Port-of-Entry. Particular document requirements to board a flight includes all Canadians. A Canadian citizen, for example, needs to present either a Canadian passport or a special travel document. A Canadian PR needs to present either a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document.

There is NO such limitation on Canadians being allowed to ENTER Canada. Canadian citizens have a Charter protected right to enter Canada. Canadian PRs are statutorily entitled to enter Canada. So for either, proof of identity together with some evidence of status, recognizing that status is usually easily verifiable in the individual's GCMS records, is all that is needed to obtain authorization to enter Canada at a PoE.

So, the real gist of your question appears to be whether you can be sure to obtain a PR Travel Document if your PRC application does not result in getting a new PR card before the travel. Whether you might encounter a problem getting a PR TD and returning to Canada. For a PR in compliance with the RO and not otherwise inadmissible, odds range from very good to very high there is no problem in this process, but there are variables and contingencies, including where in the world the PR is and which visa office processes the PR TD application. Typical timelines are not long, but if there are concerns or issues, the timeline can go long. Influential factors appear to include how recent the PR was in Canada, including how long and how well settled, and of course whether or not it is clear the PR is in compliance with the RO.

In other words, TOO MANY VARIABLES to offer a general forecast for how things are likely to go for someone in your situation, let alone make any assertions about how things will go.

This is even more so for a PR who makes the PR card application despite NOT being eligible for a new PR card. As I discuss in-depth in another discussion, in most circumstances a PR will get credit toward RO compliance AFTER applying for a new PR card. So the PR just a little short at the time the PR card application is made will not, not ordinarily be at risk for losing PR status (there are exceptions, including situations where credit for days five years ago are falling out of the calculation). So the risk of losing PR status for a breach of the RO is low, and it is virtually no-risk if by the time IRCC actually opens the application the PR has spent enough additional time in Canada to be in compliance with the RO. BUT PROBLEMS TEND TO BEGET PROBLEMS. Applying when NOT eligible simply increases the RISK of at least procedural problems and delays.

To be clear, in the guide for making a PR card application it is specifically stated that to be eligible for a new PR card, the individual must be in compliance with the RO. Anyone with common sense recognizes that INELIGIBLE applications are prone to problems even if not simply and promptly rejected outright.

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
My issue is that at the moment I can not go out of country because when I want to enter Canada , i need a visa with my citizenship. PR card looks like to be not an option for me because it takes forever. Therefore, only option is that I apply for citizenship and get a Canadian passport. Fortunately, this is desired outcome for me and i have no problem with dual citizenship.
This too appears to overlook the difference between what is necessary to board an airline flight coming to Canada versus what is required to obtain authorization to actually ENTER Canada at a Port-of-Entry.

If you are a PR you are NOT eligible for any other Canadian visa. Thus, in particular, you not only do not need a visa to enter Canada, you are NOT eligible for any visa, and could not use one for traveling to Canada.

As noted in my previous post, as a PR you need either a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document in order to board an airline flight to Canada. What you need at the Port-of-Entry, to "enter Canada," is not nearly that strict. That is, similar to the other individual, the real gist of your issue is what you need to board a flight headed to Canada. See comments in previous post.

While occasionally citizenship applications are processed to completion while an individual has a PR card application pending, the typical timeline for processing citizenship applications is WAY longer than for PR card applications . . . AND if there are issues hanging up the PR card application, odds are high those issues will need to be addressed and resolved by IRCC before it completes a citizenship application. That is, generally the question is whether to proceed with a PR card application while the citizenship application is pending, and for those who need to travel and whose PR card is expired or soon is expiring, the conventional wisdom is YES, proceed with a PR card application because the odds are high that will come well before citizenship is granted.

Thank you for your detailed answer. I really appreciate you care.
As I said i applied for PR renewal on December 2019 (I had 7 days short of RO at that time). sent another application on Sept 22, 2021 (i met RO this time) and i havent received AOR for the new application yet. Also, i didnt withdraw the old application.

i just figured out that I can apply for citizenship although my PR card is expired. Now, my question is that do you think I should withdraw PR renewal applications and wait for citizenship? Or I dont touch anything and see which application process faster? Do you think pr renewal applications delay the citizenship process?

i am looking to find best course of action in my case.
If you are eligible now for citizenship, and that is what you want (some individuals have issues weighing against becoming a citizen, like those who are from a country that will not allow its citizens to have any additional citizenship, who prefer to keep the home country citizenship), you can certainly choose to apply. The PR card situation should, most likely, be resolved before your citizenship application is processed to completion, but there is nothing wrong with having both in process at the same time. Indeed, many who have a citizenship application pending also apply for a PR card, expecting to get it faster than citizenship, and so they can travel internationally while waiting for the grant of citizenship.

A PR renewal application should not delay the citizenship process. And, similarly, there is no reason to anticipate that a citizenship application will delay processing a PR card application.

If there is an admissibility issue, some concern about the validity of the individual's status, or such, that issue will likely be examined and considered in both applications or at least in one and then the outcome of that will also govern how things go in the other . . . so resolution of the issue in processing one of the applications, if there is actually an issue, would typically resolve the issue for both.

It is difficult to discern, based on what you have offered, if there is an overt problem with your December 2019 application; the date itself throws a wrinkle into things since, for PR card applications, applications around that time were at the epicenter of disruption due to Covid. Add the fact you were not eligible for a new PR card at the time you made that application, that complicates things. How long you have been a PR without becoming a citizen invites questions. And now you have made another application for a PR card.

Probably time to wait awhile to see where things go from here. No harm in proceeding with the citizenship application in the meantime.

But leading to a couple more things you posted:

Posted in reference to making a second PR card application --
I agree with you but im not sure if they are able to connect these two applications together since they receive thousands of applications everyday.
IRCC will usually, meaning almost always, connect multiple applications made by the same individual. Not for an application that has not yet reached the AOR step, but will make the connection once it hits that step (basically that is when IRCC opens the application). That is, in the course of opening the application any and all other matters pending for that PR will almost certainly be easily noted.

This might not have been true in the not-too-distant past, but the unique client identifier (UCI) and the software for GCMS connects the dots. For a PR with either a PR card or citizenship application pending, for example, it is very likely information as to this pops up when a border official is screening the PR upon returning to Canada. Let alone when a processing agent opens a file for this or that application.

Posted in reference to making a citizenship application:
Most probably immigration dont care about PR card. They just need to know if PR status has been revoked or not. As long as i have pr status , it shouldnot affect citizenship process
In a general, skimming the surface way, yes. But as some will say, the devil is in the details, and there are indeed some details well short of revoked PR status that will trigger non-routine processing of a citizenship application and potentially involve delays or overt problems. No particular indication you are up against problems of this sort, but to be clear, if for example a PR has a 44(1) Report on appeal, that is bound to divert processing the citizenship application.

It warrants noting that an "inadmissible" PR still has PR status unless and until there is a final adjudication terminating status. In the meantime, an inadmissible PR will likely run into at least some procedural problems and delays in an application for citizenship. And some types of inadmissibility will constitute an outright prohibition precluding a grant of citizenship.

Aleks30

Star Member
Oct 1, 2021
What you need at the Port-of-Entry, to "enter Canada," is not nearly that strict.
Where is it said?
In other words, where is the guarantee at the LEGISLATIVE level (namely, the law) which states
"Permanent resident of Canada, whose application is considered " in process "( and he is a PR) - is GUARANTEED to receive a PRTD document from the Canadian Embassy to enter Canada."
And if the case is considered for 3 years..5 years?
And such delays are very common.
But there is no such resolution anywhere.
Where is the justice?

Reactions: jakklondon

naticom

Jul 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2016
Doc's Request.
27-07-2016 RCMP
AOR Received.
AOR1 26-04-2016 AOR2 14-06-2016
File Transfer...
06-06-2016
Hi all, my applied for her PR card renew on Sep 24 and received AOR email today. However, she could find her case or ECAS. Is this normal? Thanks
Wife's PR card was mailed on the Dec 15. Application received by CIC on Sep 24.

Another question - my mom landed on the Oct 26 but her first PR card application is still not on ECAS. Is this normal?

Thanks

Aleks30

Star Member
Oct 1, 2021
This might not have been true in the not-too-distant past, but the unique client identifier (UCI) and the software for GCMS connects the dots.
Absolutely true.
I will say more.
When my daughter calls IRCC and they open her file, they tell her that they SEE what day of the month someone opened her application and looked at it.
They don't know who; they don't know why. But the program remembers any opening and viewing of the application (possibly for security purposes).