b_rhetz

Jun 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First time in this forum. :)

Case: My PR CARD will be expiring in a month. I'm currently sponsoring my wife for her application for permanent residence(STATUS - in process in local visa office ) . I'm planning to submit an application for PR CARD RENEWAL before the end of this month.

Questions: Is there any issue regarding my PR expiring to our ongoing application? Will the PR card renewal application might interfere as well?

Please help. Thx :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, there is no issue with the PR card expiring at the same time. Your PR status is not linked to your PR card. Your card expires but you are still PR, you just need a new card.

b_rhetz

Jun 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thx Leon.Follow up question. What's the best way to go right now: apply for PR card renewal or apply for citizenship? And i assume with PR card being expired it might be risky to travel outside of Canada as it might cause an issue when coming back, correct?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why haven't you applied to renew your PR card already? You know it takes 5-6 months now to get a new one? You should apply to renew it immediately. If you have plans to travel in the next 5-6 months, you can include the plans with your PR card application and ask for expedited processing. If you did end up having to travel before getting your new PR card, you can apply for a PR travel document at a Canadian embassy in the country where you are.

There is also no problem applying for citizenship at the same time. It's a separate application and they don't have any effect on each other. Citizenship takes longer to process. They are saying average 13-16 months now on the CIC website.

b_rhetz

Jun 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cool. Now that's clearer. I have no plans to travel anytime soon but it's good to know some workarounds. That way it wouldnt be that hard dealing with it in such cases.
I'll start with the PR card renewal for now then apply for citizenship later on. :)
Thx a million Leon. 8)