+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pr card Expiration date changed after reissuing!

aiman.b

Nov 26, 2015
Hi all,

A friend of mine, has reissued his pr card due to changing in his name

But surprisingly, after receiving his new pr card, he found that they gave him a new card with a new expiration date

So let's say
The issuing date on his old pr card was on 1/1/2012 and
the expiration date was on 1/1/2017

After renewing is pr card, the dates became like this
Issuing date is on 1/1/2013
Expiration date is on 1/1/2018

My question here
Does that happen always? Or was he lucky by giving him an extra year after reissuing his pr card?

Warmest regards!

Reactions: jackan

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
aiman.b said:
Hi all,

A friend of mine, has reissued his pr card due to changing in his name

But surprisingly, after receiving his new pr card, he found that they gave him a new card with a new expiration date

So let's say
The issuing date on his old pr card was on 1/1/2012 and
the expiration date was on 1/1/2017

After renewing is pr card, the dates became like this
Issuing date is on 1/1/2013
Expiration date is on 1/1/2018

My question here
Does that happen always? Or was he lucky by giving him an extra year after reissuing his pr card?

Warmest regards!
I do not know how often a replacement card is issued as if a new card, or if they are always issued as a new card. But, PR cards ordinarily expire five years from the date of issuance. That is the long and short of it. Nothing unusual about this.

And NO real significance. Date on PR card has NOTHING to do with the PR's Residency Obligation for example. PR itself does not expire, so the card's expiry date has no significance relative to status.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is normal. At any point when you apply for a new card, name change, card lost, stolen or destroyed, card expired etc. you fill out an application form respective to the 5 years previous from your application. If you meet the residency obligation, a new card will be issued and will be valid 5 years.

This is not really any better or worse for him. The key to keeping your PR status is making sure you meet the residency obligation. You can let your card expire with no effect if you meet the RO and you can lose your PR with a still valid card if you don't.

aiman.b

Nov 26, 2015
Leon said:
This is normal. At any point when you apply for a new card, name change, card lost, stolen or destroyed, card expired etc. you fill out an application form respective to the 5 years previous from your application. If you meet the residency obligation, a new card will be issued and will be valid 5 years.

This is not really any better or worse for him. The key to keeping your PR status is making sure you meet the residency obligation. You can let your card expire with no effect if you meet the RO and you can lose your PR with a still valid card if you don't.

At the time of the reissuing, he was a pr for only 300 days!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aiman.b said:
At the time of the reissuing, he was a pr for only 300 days!!
He meets the RO because the definition of meeting the RO, if you are a PR for less than 5 years, that you are still able to meet the RO of 730 days in Canada before your first 5 years have passed. He could have spent almost all of the 300 days outside Canada and they still would have given him a new card because he still has plenty of time.

Getting a new PR card does not change the fact that he needs to meet the RO of 730 days in Canada for the 5 year period from the time he landed. If he leaves now and comes back in 3+ years, even with 2 years still valid on his PR card, he would be unable to meet the RO and he could get reported on entry and lose his PR.