+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card application cancelled - Will I lose my PR status as well ?

sky2k16

Aug 20, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2016
AOR Received.
31-12-2016
Med's Done....
01-15-2017
Hello,

I moved to Canada, two months ago, on permanent resident visa. I received an email from CIC asking me to send two photos of mine to them within 30 days of the email failing which my application for permanent resident card will be cancelled.

Unfortunately, I could not send the photos to CIC by the 30th day (today), due to an issue with Canada Post. Therefore, I believe that my application will be cancelled today.

Does this also cancel my permanent resident status ?

Thanks for answering!

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I don't think so. Once PR, you are PR forever unless you give it up on your own or have it revoked due to crime. It probably means that you will have to submit a fresh application to get the card, and processing clock would be reset to start.

Reactions: sky2k16

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
Your PR won't be cancelled of course - that would be absurd.

You can still try and send the photos, including a letter of why your photos got delayed.

If that doesn't work, you can reapply.

sky_limit

May 1, 2008
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CIC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
08-02-2017
AOR Received.
04-05-2017
Passport Req..
25-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-08-2017
LANDED..........
29-08-2017
Hello,

I moved to Canada, two months ago, on permanent resident visa. I received an email from CIC asking me to send two photos of mine to them within 30 days of the email failing which my application for permanent resident card will be cancelled.

Unfortunately, I could not send the photos to CIC by the 30th day (today), due to an issue with Canada Post. Therefore, I believe that my application will be cancelled today.

Does this also cancel my permanent resident status ?

Thanks for answering!
You have to resubmit the application and this time you have to pay a fee $50 per person :)

Kapustka

Feb 6, 2017
I'm faced with a similar situation - although my photos reached CIC in time according to CAnada Post tracking - my PR card application status on the CIC portal shows cancelled. I'm confused now about next steps - I had done a short landing and returned to India. Was planning to move permanently next month and now this.

Any thoughts, help, suggestions would be welcome.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I'm faced with a similar situation - although my photos reached CIC in time according to CAnada Post tracking - my PR card application status on the CIC portal shows cancelled. I'm confused now about next steps - I had done a short landing and returned to India. Was planning to move permanently next month and now this.

Any thoughts, help, suggestions would be welcome.
Others can comment as well but assuming you are still in India you need to apply for a PRTD to travel back to Canada given PR card applications cannot be made from outside Canada even if you wanted to resubmit. In any case a resubmission would probably not even process to a Canadian address by next month let alone get couriered to you in India by a friend/ relative.

Cannot advise whether making the effort to investigate the cancelled status is worthwhile or simply accept it and start a fresh application when back in Canada, but you will need a PRTD to board a plane back.

Kapustka

Feb 6, 2017
Others can comment as well but assuming you are still in India you need to apply for a PRTD to travel back to Canada given PR card applications cannot be made from outside Canada even if you wanted to resubmit. In any case a resubmission would probably not even process to a Canadian address by next month let alone get couriered to you in India by a friend/ relative.

Cannot advise whether making the effort to investigate the cancelled status is worthwhile or simply accept it and start a fresh application when back in Canada, but you will need a PRTD to board a plane back.
Thanks for replying, I will be applying for a PRTD as soon as I can be sure that my PR status is still valid. That's the part that worries me most - I want to be sure I have the option of entering Canada with a PRTD or through the land route on a private vehicle.

I Plan to call CIC tomorrow to ascertain the same. In your experience would you say my status as a PR is at risk?

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for replying, I will be applying for a PRTD as soon as I can be sure that my PR status is still valid. That's the part that worries me most - I want to be sure I have the option of entering Canada with a PRTD or through the land route on a private vehicle.

I Plan to call CIC tomorrow to ascertain the same. In your experience would you say my status as a PR is at risk?
Your PR status is fine. It’s a misconception that your status is related to the expiry date of your PR card. In fact, your status is perpetual until it is formerly revoked because of one of three reasons:
(1) you voluntarily revoke your PR status
(2) you commit a serious crime
(3) you do not meet the residency obligation in the last 5 years

Technically, you could land and stay in Canada perpetually without ever renewing your PR card. However, you would obviously have a hard time travelling abroad (by land or air) and applying for citizenship if that’s an eventual goal.

In your case, depending on when you landed, you should have expected that you would need to apply for PRTD, because current processing times for PR cards are about 2 months. You should apply for PRTD as soon as possible, as this can also take some time to process then apply for the PR card. I wouldn’t make air travel plans until you have PRTD in hand.

Alternatively, you could fly into the U.S. on your passport, then drive to Canada. Your COPR and passport is sufficient to enter Canada by land and a PRTD is not required in this case.

Reactions: Kapustka

bkbk8

Star Member
Apr 3, 2016
Dallas, Texas
App. Filed.......
28-07-2016
Your PR status is fine. It’s a misconception that your status is related to the expiry date of your PR card. In fact, your status is perpetual until it is formerly revoked because of one of three reasons:
(1) you voluntarily revoke your PR status
(2) you commit a serious crime
(3) you do not meet the residency obligation in the last 5 years

Technically, you could land and stay in Canada perpetually without ever renewing your PR card. However, you would obviously have a hard time travelling abroad (by land or air) and applying for citizenship if that’s an eventual goal.

In your case, depending on when you landed, you should have expected that you would need to apply for PRTD, because current processing times for PR cards are about 2 months. You should apply for PRTD as soon as possible, as this can also take some time to process then apply for the PR card. I wouldn’t make air travel plans until you have PRTD in hand.

Alternatively, you could fly into the U.S. on your passport, then drive to Canada. Your COPR and passport is sufficient to enter Canada by land and a PRTD is not required in this case.
Thanks for your response. I am in the same boat, however, I have not landed yet. I plan to do leave USA, visit family back home, and then go to Canada. I may need to travel prior to receiving the PR, is it possible to apply for a PRTD while I am not in the USA? Say that I have a friend here who I would mail my passports to in Los Angeles, she would then submit the PRTD app for me, get it back in 20 business days, ship me everything back to Canada; is that possible?

kingskid

Feb 20, 2014
Does anyone have idea, the implication if one is not able to provide photos for PR card after the 30days request expiration. Say photo was submitted after 7months of request.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Does anyone have idea, the implication if one is not able to provide photos for PR card after the 30days request expiration. Say photo was submitted after 7months of request.
Others can comment but My guess would be submitting your photo after 7 months the application would already have been discarded so you would probably need to apply again from scratch.