+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card and travel to US

rxpei

Nov 3, 2011
Hello,
If someone can help me to answer couple of questions...
I understand there is a waiting period to receive the original PR card itself ( not the COPR) after the landing interview. I know I can not travel during this time until I have the PR card. Just in case, if I have to travel for emergency. Also I have nexus card too.
1) can I travel from Toronto to Niagara Fall by train then rent a car to across the border to Buffalo, NY. After that, take JetBlue fly back to LGA?
2) Since I have nexus card, if I fly back to Toronto, will that be ok since I won't be talking to any IO at all?

Thanks for your help :)

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Hi,

You can but there is a risk of being flagged and since you are a PR in Canada, you have to have a pr card when you arrive in Canada by air.
Where did you get your nexus? If you became pr in Canada you will have to notify Nexus about changes to your status in Canada.
You can use COPR to enter Canada on a private vehicle.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The airline will let you board the plane because you are US and visa exempt to Canada and that's all they need to know and once you get to Canada, if you can swipe your Nexus card and walk through, you do that but if you need to go through immigration and talk to someone, you should tell them that you are a PR and show your COPR and say that you had to leave to take care of business before your PR card came through. They will let you enter.

rxpei

Nov 3, 2011
Thanks Dejaavu and Leon for your input..

@ Dejaavu, I got my nexus from Pearson (had the interview there). Thanks for reminding me to notify Nexus about my status.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Actually my wife is a US citizen and she didn't have her PR card and we had to travel as we had an emergency. As Leon wrote, the airlines let her board because she doesn't need a Canadian visa. Once we arrived, we explained the situation to the CBSA officer and showed him the COPR and he stamped our customs form and we were fine. You will be fine. Just have your COPR with you in case you get questioned.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
@rxpei
How long did it take you to get the nexus card? i live in Toronto and I want to apply for one.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
@rxpei
Do US citizens have to go to Pearson or Niagara for the interview?
I read somewhere that US citizens have to go to Niagara. I hope Pearson is ok.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
My friend who is a US citizen didn't have her PR card (misplaced or something) and arrived in Canada after her trip from Europe and she was lectured by a CBSA officer that she has to use PR card to enter Canada by air. So you will be fine either way.

rxpei

Nov 3, 2011
Hello Dejaavu,
I applied the nexus card 2012 around May, I went to this website:https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes to apply online. Basically you fill all of questions and pay $50. After a month later, I got approval and went for interview. What I remember, everything is done on line including picking the date, and location for interview. (maybe the time for interview too) So I was in Toronto at that time for my wedding, I picked Pearson as my location for convenience. They have a list of places where they conduct the interview, but the time I was booking, it was all full.
At the interview, there are both US and Canadian boarder officers there. If I recalled correctly, the Canadian boarder officer asked me why I want nexus card, and took picture, and screen your iris. The US side was fingerprint.. That's it, off you go. After couple weeks, I received the nexus card.
Also, another tip for your wife and yourself.... get global entry too. once you have the nexus card, go to the nexus office whichever your closet airport and ask for global entry. No appointment needed, just walk in. I did that at Newark airport and waited for 5 mins.. Now, I am in and out of airport and no more waiting ... I love it. ;D

thanks again for your help.. :)

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Thanks Rxpei!

Good to know about the Global Entry!

I will apply for nexus as soon as my pr card gets renewed.