31-12-2012
IELTS Request
N/A (IELTS wasn't needed)
Med's Request
13-05-13
Med's Done....
3-06-13
Hi,

I recently became a Permanent Resident and am looking at travelling to India for vacation.

I know I would need a visa if I attempt to fly via US but because i am not keen at getting a US visa, I am wondering if there's any visa requirements if I go via other countries or is the PR card sufficient. Is there anything else I might need to keep in mind as I look at booking flight tickets online?

Also In addition to cheapoair, is there any other trusted and recommended online sites you would suggest?

Thanks

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cheaptickets.com

As you know by now in Canada prices of even underwear is inflated let alone airfare. Either you get the US visa or pay more for airfare.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jagota_j said:
Hi,

I recently became a Permanent Resident and am looking at travelling to India for vacation.

I know I would need a visa if I attempt to fly via US but because i am not keen at getting a US visa, I am wondering if there's any visa requirements if I go via other countries or is the PR card sufficient. Is there anything else I might need to keep in mind as I look at booking flight tickets online?

Also In addition to cheapoair, is there any other trusted and recommended online sites you would suggest?

Thanks
You are indirectly asking the forum to do some major leg work for you. Google is your friend so check out ' cheap flight tickets to India' or other variants see what you come up with and what the transit points are as they are determined by which airlines fly the route and code share agreements as well as what hub is used. Check the transit visa requirements again via Google 'e.g. UK transit visa' etc.

I can tell you though that to transit the UK without a regular visitor visa by way of a concession outside the immigration rules requires you to have a valid PR Card. Since this is a concession you can get bounced if the border agent doesn't find value in your 'why transit via the UK' reason. For better 'protection' get a UK visitor visa but even this can be revoked at the border. Go via continental Europe is the usual message - Schipol Amsterdam etc.

jagota_j

Star Member
Jul 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-12-2012
Nomination.....
31-12-2012
IELTS Request
N/A (IELTS wasn't needed)
Med's Request
13-05-13
Med's Done....
3-06-13
Thanks for the info

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You do not need a transit visa when transiting through Schengen area or the UK. Your PR card will allow you to transit even if you are normally required to obtain a transit visa.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanV said:
You do not need a transit visa when transiting through Schengen area or the UK. Your PR card will allow you to transit even if you are normally required to obtain a transit visa.
The UK allows as a 'concession' outside the immigration rules for the border agents to waive the need for PR Card holders who by their nationality must hold a Direct Air Side Transit Visa (DATV - you can't even leave the airport!!) and you thus transfer status to that of a national eligible to Transit Without Visa (TWOV). Any 'concession' is just that and if the border agent doesn't like your story or has reason to doubt your intentions its the easiest thing there is to bounce you. There is no right of appeal against this and if bounced you are fingerprinted, photographed and usually detained until your next flight out of the UK. A Canadian PR here on this forum had the same experience. So without getting into semantics the PR Card doesn't guarantee UK transit.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri said:
The UK allows as a 'concession' outside the immigration rules for the border agents to waive the need for PR Card holders who by their nationality must hold a Direct Air Side Transit Visa (DATV - you can't even leave the airport!!) and you thus transfer status to that of a national eligible to Transit Without Visa (TWOV). Any 'concession' is just that and if the border agent doesn't like your story or has reason to doubt your intentions its the easiest thing there is to bounce you. There is no right of appeal against this and if bounced you are fingerprinted, photographed and usually detained until your next flight out of the UK. A Canadian PR here on this forum had the same experience. So without getting into semantics the PR Card doesn't guarantee UK transit.
Thats the case for every Schengen country, you cant leave the airport if you hold a passport that normally requires a visa to enter the country. However if you also require a visa to transit through the Schengen area (inside the airport), the PR card, or even a toursit visa, to the US or Canada can waive that requirement.