+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR application with unaccompanying dual citizen spouse

Bolbol13

Jul 19, 2023
Hello,

I recently got a PR ITA. My (unaccompanying) wife and I got married in Egypt. I am an Egyptian and she is a dual citizen (Canadian/Egyptian).

I need to attach our marriage certificate to the PR application but her information is marked as:
- Nationality: Egypt
- Place of Birth: Canada

Also, her name is slightly longer in Egypt than it is in her Canadian passport (Same first and last name, just extra names in between)

Can I attach the marriage certificate as is, or do I need to prove she is a dual citizen?

Thanks!

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Hello,

I recently got a PR ITA. My (unaccompanying) wife and I got married in Egypt. I am an Egyptian and she is a dual citizen (Canadian/Egyptian).

I need to attach our marriage certificate to the PR application but her information is marked as:
- Place of Birth: Canada

Also, her name is slightly longer in Egypt than it is in her Canadian passport (Same first and last name, just extra names in between)

Can I attach the marriage certificate as is, or do I need to prove she is a dual citizen?

Thanks!
You do not need to prove that she is dual citizen, you only need to show that she has Canadian citizenship. If she was born in Canada, then Place of birth and nationality should be Canada. So you have an error on the certificate. For immigration purposes use the names listed on the Canadian citizenship proof. The Canadian system already determined that she has too many names to list.

Bolbol13

Jul 19, 2023
Hi, thank you for your response.

We got married in Egypt as Egyptians. It is an egyptian marriage certificate so getting them to use information that is not in her Egyptian passport is next to impossible.

The problematic information on the marriage certificate is:
- Extra middle names that arent on the Canadian Passport