+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Application for age above 45?

ravk

Apr 29, 2017
Hi!
Has anyone's parent's had success applying for PR after 45 years of age? My mom was a government school teacher ( now retired) but has a master's degree. Also very fluent in english so IELTS should be good. My dad however, owns a business and doesn't have a lot of education. That said, if we get an LMIA from Canada from my mom, the points should meet the cutoff. My question is- Since they're both close to 60 years of age, is there a chance that their application might get rejected?

sealco

Star Member
Apr 17, 2013
Hi!
Has anyone's parent's had success applying for PR after 45 years of age? My mom was a government school teacher ( now retired) but has a master's degree. Also very fluent in english so IELTS should be good. My dad however, owns a business and doesn't have a lot of education. That said, if we get an LMIA from Canada from my mom, the points should meet the cutoff. My question is- Since they're both close to 60 years of age, is there a chance that their application might get rejected?
If she gets enough points to qualify for an invitation to apply and meets all the eligibility requirements, I don't see age being a factor for rejection. Plus retirement age is 65 so she still has 20 more years to give.

Rubyred

Star Member
Apr 6, 2020
Category........
Other
How would you get a lmia for your mother? Teachers are plenty in canada.
There's a teacher shortage in BC actually (not sure about the other provinces). I got an LMIA for a teaching position but having said that, it was before the COVID pandemic and also, it would be pretty tough convincing HR to go through the LMIA process for someone who is close to 60 and likely to retire in few years. Also it takes about a year to get certification. Sorry for being a Negative Nelly. But you should still give it a shot. You'll never know if you don't give it a try. Try sending resumes to the Independent Schools.
https://thetyee.ca/News/2020/02/14/BC-Teacher-Shortage-How-Bad/

And to answer your question, as long as you have the qualifying points, there will be absolutely no discrimination based on age etc.

Last edited:

sealco

Star Member
Apr 17, 2013
There's a teacher shortage in BC actually (not sure about the other provinces). I got an LMIA for a teaching position but having said that, it was before the COVID pandemic and also, it would be pretty tough convincing HR to go through the LMIA process for someone who is close to 60 and likely to retire in few years. Also it takes about a year to get certification. Sorry for being a Negative Nelly. But you should still give it a shot. You'll never know if you don't give it a try. Try sending resumes to the Independent Schools.
https://thetyee.ca/News/2020/02/14/BC-Teacher-Shortage-How-Bad/

And to answer your question, as long as you have the qualifying points, there will be absolutely no discrimination based on age etc.
It took me a year to get certified, but I started teaching a year before that with a letter of permission that my principal supported. They really need teachers here in BC and if a school wants to hire you, they will support your application for a letter of permission to teach without the certificate, as long as you've already applied for the certificate. The letter of permission is good for 1 year.

sealco

Star Member
Apr 17, 2013
It took me a year to get certified, but I started teaching a year before that with a letter of permission that my principal supported. They really need teachers here in BC and if a school wants to hire you, they will support your application for a letter of permission to teach without the certificate, as long as you've already applied for the certificate. The letter of permission is good for 1 year.
She might have more success with an independent school.

Reactions: ravk

jaffer raza

Aug 14, 2020
I am interested to apply for Canada work visa my education is 12 grade I have more than 3 years working experience in customer services and sales I wanted to know what is the requirement and possible way to settle in canada.

ravk

Apr 29, 2017
It took me a year to get certified, but I started teaching a year before that with a letter of permission that my principal supported. They really need teachers here in BC and if a school wants to hire you, they will support your application for a letter of permission to teach without the certificate, as long as you've already applied for the certificate. The letter of permission is good for 1
If she gets enough points to qualify for an invitation to apply and meets all the eligibility requirements, I don't see age being a factor for rejection. Plus retirement age is 65 so she still has 20 more years to give.
She's actually 55

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am interested to apply for Canada work visa my education is 12 grade I have more than 3 years working experience in customer services and sales I wanted to know what is the requirement and possible way to settle in canada.
Would be very difficult to immigrate through getting a job first especially given the higher unemployment rates. Your best chance is to do kore schooling.