+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR and PGWP at the same time?

sparkling123

Star Member
Apr 28, 2017
Hi all,

I'm in a unique situation. I'm on a study permit and plan to graduate from my degree program next week. I already have a research job which I have to start by mid September.

Now here's the thing. I had applied for PR and got the passport request today. But I guess it'll take some time to send the passport, get it back and land. I don't think I'll be able to do that in 2 weeks. But, I will need something in order to start my job. Should I apply for my post graduate work permit (PGWP) in order to start work, even though I would probably get the PR very soon?

Thanks.

shagunsangwan

Jul 11, 2014
Toronto, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
A
It takes just a month to get passport back and do your landing and then you would be eligible to do any job.
Since you are 1 week away from completing your study so its just 3 weeks for you.
You could just wait out these 3 weeks.
Or if you are too eager to work then you could explain this to your employer, show them your PPR and since your first pay will probably be given after you get passport back, Chances are that they will accomodate your request.

Reactions: crescent_jam

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Any ideas???
Hi sparkling123,
I agree with shagunsangwan; I assume applying for your PGWP would also require you spending more money and no one wants that for you :).

Speak with your employer first; show them your PPR and see if they can do something for you regarding the effective start date of your new job. They may even prefer this option - not sure exactly of what it would entail, but hiring someone with PR might mean less paperwork for them, than hiring someone with PGWP and then possibly having to change the status on your personnel record later down the line...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

I'm in a unique situation. I'm on a study permit and plan to graduate from my degree program next week. I already have a research job which I have to start by mid September.

Now here's the thing. I had applied for PR and got the passport request today. But I guess it'll take some time to send the passport, get it back and land. I don't think I'll be able to do that in 2 weeks. But, I will need something in order to start my job. Should I apply for my post graduate work permit (PGWP) in order to start work, even though I would probably get the PR very soon?

Thanks.
If you start working after you finish your studies without applying for a PGWP, you will be working illegally. This could cause problems when you go to land as a PR.

You should either apply for the PGWP or delay your work start date.