+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR and outstanding bank debt

Sketcpad

Feb 7, 2015
Hi, I am a Canadian PR and due to unforeseen events I had to leave Canada suddenly 2 years ago.
In my haste I left behind a line of credit debt of around $1000 with my bank. I intend to return to Canada this year and arrange with the bank for settling my debt. I am worried however if this my affect me when my PR comes up for renew in 2017. I realise this is a problem of my own creation but does anyone have any knowledge or advice? Thanks in advance.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Sketcpad said:
Hi, I am a Canadian PR and due to unforeseen events I had to leave Canada suddenly 2 years ago.
In my haste I left behind a line of credit debt of around $1000 with my bank. I intend to return to Canada this year and arrange with the bank for settling my debt. I am worried however if this my affect me when my PR comes up for renew in 2017. I realise this is a problem of my own creation but does anyone have any knowledge or advice? Thanks in advance.
To be clear, PR status does not expire, does not need to be renewed.

I assume you are referring to when your current PR card expires, in 2017. That date is not particularly relevant to your status.

Obviously, most participants here will not condone the failure to be good for your debts, but for purposes of PR status that too is not relevant.

In any event, if you have been gone for two years now, you will be running into the problem of complying with the PR Residency Obligation in the not-so-distant future. For purposes of your status it appears that looms as the more pressing issue.