+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pr and # of hours needed - Confused!

TorontoGal

Apr 13, 2010
There is much confusion amongst my friends and I, who are also employers to live in caregivers in terms of the # of hours.

All our of caregivers were already in the LIC program before April 1st changes and we were told that the min # of hours was 30/week for 24 months to qualify for PR. This was in teh LMO we sent in to then and got a + letter back.

It seems either we are are confused, rules have changed - can someone help me with this?

I do not want my nanny to be short time when she goes to apply for PR. If I calculated based on 30 hours/week x 52 week x 2 years - she will be short 780 hours.
None of us want them to be short.

With thanks.

TorontoGal

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
TorontoGal said:
There is much confusion amongst my friends and I, who are also employers to live in caregivers in terms of the # of hours.

All our of caregivers were already in the LIC program before April 1st changes and we were told that the min # of hours was 30/week for 24 months to qualify for PR. This was in teh LMO we sent in to then and got a + letter back.

It seems either we are are confused, rules have changed - can someone help me with this?

I do not want my nanny to be short time when she goes to apply for PR. If I calculated based on 30 hours/week x 52 week x 2 years - she will be short 780 hours.
None of us want them to be short.

With thanks.

TorontoGal
She can apply using the "24 month rule". The good news is LIC can now finish their 24 months in 4 years, for those who may change employers or due to some unavoidable reasons will not be able to finish in 3 years. The Operating Manuals for the live in caregiver has not been updated though.

TorontoGal

Apr 13, 2010
when i called service canada after April 1 - then now have changed their story, they say since she is NEW to applying for her PR she woudl require 3900 hours.

Before April 1 - she was considered full time at 30 hours a week and only needed "24 months" to qualify.. now it seems to have changed.
I think i might call service canada again and get another answer (likely)
I have the name of the girl from service canada who told me YES 30 hours.. but no ID number of badge number..

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
TorontoGal said:
when i called service canada after April 1 - then now have changed their story, they say since she is NEW to applying for her PR she woudl require 3900 hours.

Before April 1 - she was considered full time at 30 hours a week and only needed "24 months" to qualify.. now it seems to have changed.
I think i might call service canada again and get another answer (likely)
I have the name of the girl from service canada who told me YES 30 hours.. but no ID number of badge number..
There are two options, so if she qualified for the first option, then she choose that. There are no updates yet on the operating manuals.

TorontoGal

Apr 13, 2010
So it is still one or other for nannies in the program currently relative to ones coming into it with no LMO yet?

So she qualifies as 24 months working for me straight for 30 hours per week?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
TorontoGal said:
So it is still one or other for nannies in the program currently relative to ones coming into it with no LMO yet?

So she qualifies as 24 months working for me straight for 30 hours per week?
That is how I understand the new "guidelines" right now. There are LIC who work for more than 8 hours per day or more than 40 hrs per week; they can apply for PR earlier than the 24 months required, but the LIC can only use 50% of the OT hrs as part of the 3900 hours when the LIC applies for the PR.

TorontoGal

Apr 13, 2010
Thank you - I am just nervous . I want her to get her paperwork as she has this expectation and I don't want her to be disappointed.

Does anyone know, if she applies (payment for th PR is included) and she is denied.. will she get her money back?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
TorontoGal said:
Thank you - I am just nervous . I want her to get her paperwork as she has this expectation and I don't want her to be disappointed.

Does anyone know, if she applies (payment for th PR is included) and she is denied.. will she get her money back?
Is she ready to apply? RPRF is refundable.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5290E.PDF page 4 (for the two options)

Checklist mentioned in the guide: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5282e.pdf

TorontoGal

Apr 13, 2010
Phew on the getting her money back if she is turned down at the time she applies.
However, here is where I think I am ok in this "loophole"

Selection criteria, requirements and other information for applicants can sometimes change. Please note that:

Applications will be processed according to the rules and regulations in effect at the time of the assessment. These may change at any time

So therefore they changed while she was in program and neither she nor I paid attention until we are closing in to the end of 24 months.

eunice

Jan 17, 2010
if you are still confused here are the numbers to call...1866 372 3247 ...or 416 326 7160..employment standards information centre..

Argy

Apr 4, 2010
I also am confused about this. I am under LCP in Alberta. Full time here is consider 44 hours a week. I did may calcalation and I already complete 3900 hours in less that 24 months, that mean Can I already apply for PR?.... But

1. My employer always have taken off room and board from the gross salary, before deduction... so it looks like less hours... How can I explain this?

2. My employer has fill the Declaration hours for 44 hours every week couse I really worked those hours but the payroll does not show that. What should I do?

I really appreciate your help :)

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Argy said:
I also am confused about this. I am under LCP in Alberta. Full time here is consider 44 hours a week. I did may calcalation and I already complete 3900 hours in less that 24 months, that mean Can I already apply for PR?.... But

1. My employer always have taken off room and board from the gross salary, before deduction... so it looks like less hours... How can I explain this?

2. My employer has fill the Declaration hours for 44 hours every week couse I really worked those hours but the payroll does not show that. What should I do?

I really appreciate your help :)
Do you get a stub where the number of hours you worked were reflected on the stubs?

Argy

Apr 4, 2010
job_seeker said:
Do you get a stub where the number of hours you worked were reflected on the stubs?
I get the online payroll calculatior statement but this one does not say the number of hours, only the gross salary and net salary after goverment deduction. Aditional my employer write hand the number of hours but they don't match with the gross salary cause she take off room and board before taxes. I am really concerned about this..... I dont want to have problems with my application.