+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PPR: Does visa-exempt passport holder need to send physical passport or just scanned copy?

donnanne

Jun 10, 2017
Hello,

Could anyone explain please what the process is for PPR for an applicant from a visa-exempt country e.g UK, Ireland, France?
Applied for EE inside Canada (CEC stream), currently on Canadian work permit which already contains an ETA i.e I do not need an extra visa or stamp to come to Canada. I have applied for EE and am awaiting PPR/final decision.
Will I have to part with my passport for stamping or will CIC just ask for a scanned copy of my passport (something I have already provided in my application)?

Thank you

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
It says clearly on PPR email. Only photocopy of passport, 2 photos and Annex A slip

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Good to hear!

microntek

Jan 4, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Rome, Italy
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31-03-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
31-03-2017
Med's Done....
02-06-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
30-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-08-2017
LANDED..........
19-12-2017
Even though it is written clearly on PPR email, I still have a question:

Given that applicants from visa-exempt countries have the option of sending a photocopy of their passport, that means that there won't be any stamp on their passport. So, why do they need the 2 photos? Do they attach them on the CoPR?

Is there anyone from a visa-exempt country who has already received his/her CoPR by sending a photocopy of his/her passport and could answer the above?

Reactions: bruno5000

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even though it is written clearly on PPR email, I still have a question:

Given that applicants from visa-exempt countries have the option of sending a photocopy of their passport, that means that there won't be any stamp on their passport. So, why do they need the 2 photos? Do they attach them on the CoPR?

Is there anyone from a visa-exempt country who has already received his/her CoPR by sending a photocopy of his/her passport and could answer the above?
One photo gets attached to COPR and the other IRCC keeps for PR card.

donnanne

Jun 10, 2017
Hi,

Yes I have a passport from a visa-exempt country and just received my CoPR. I had sent in, as requested, a scanned copy of all the pages (identity page and any stamped pages of my passport) and two photographs. CIC keep one photograph and stick the other back on the CoPR that they return to you. You take the CoPR and your passport to a port of entry to activate your PR.

Good luck!

yuanteo

Star Member
Sep 25, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
we are asked to submit a soft copy of the photo. why can't they just use that to print on the copr? and also for the pr card? what is the point of including a soft copy in the application then?

also, we do provide a copy of the scanned passport in the application which they are able to print out directly too. we can scan in additional pages with new stamps if need be.

so technically they can just send the copr directly... right?

anybody has any idea?

canada_eagle

Nov 17, 2016
Hi,

Yes I have a passport from a visa-exempt country and just received my CoPR. I had sent in, as requested, a scanned copy of all the pages (identity page and any stamped pages of my passport) and two photographs. CIC keep one photograph and stick the other back on the CoPR that they return to you. You take the CoPR and your passport to a port of entry to activate your PR.

Good luck!
Did you also have to do a eTA or was the CoPR sufficient ? I assuming you entered by air.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
we are asked to submit a soft copy of the photo. why can't they just use that to print on the copr? and also for the pr card? what is the point of including a soft copy in the application then?

also, we do provide a copy of the scanned passport in the application which they are able to print out directly too. we can scan in additional pages with new stamps if need be.

so technically they can just send the copr directly... right?

anybody has any idea?
My guess: on the application form, the specs are only 35x45 mm and somehow they are too lazy to update this app to the current PR card requirements, which is 50x70 mm.

Also, there may be some time lapsed in between the sending of the application to the passport request that it requires sending up-to-date documents; for example, if one's passport expired during processing. This was definitely necessary when PR applications took several years, but again, maybe they're too lazy to update the process even if processing now takes a few months that they're just doing it the old way.

Reactions: yuanteo

blackbear88

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,

If the PPR email finally arrives and CIC asks to send passport copy (visa-exempt country) and the pictures, is it okay to send those from another address than the one given in our application? I will be travelling outside of my country for a month, what should I do when during that month PPR is granted? Just send the documents from the country I am travelling in or do I need to send it from the address provided in my application?

Thank you

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi guys,

If the PPR email finally arrives and CIC asks to send passport copy (visa-exempt country) and the pictures, is it okay to send those from another address than the one given in our application? I will be travelling outside of my country for a month, what should I do when during that month PPR is granted? Just send the documents from the country I am travelling in or do I need to send it from the address provided in my application?

Thank you
You can send things from wherever you want.

donnanne

Jun 10, 2017
Hello,

It doesn't matter from where you send documents to CIC. Their case processing centre is in Ottawa so factor in the time it will take the package to get to Ottawa. In short, CIC will still send you your CoPR back to your home address.

Good luck!

blackbear88

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

It doesn't matter from where you send documents to CIC. Their case processing centre is in Ottawa so factor in the time it will take the package to get to Ottawa. In short, CIC will still send you your CoPR back to your home address.

Good luck!
Thank you !