+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Potential changes in Express Entry in upcoming months (released by IRCC)

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is my summary for the presentation slide Refocusing on Express Entry (thanks JALT for the link), released by IRCC in July 26th, 2016 . You are welcome to add more to it.

----Increase points to----

1) International students

• Higher level based points to candidate with higher level Canadian credentials
  • Bonus points to candidates with Canadian degrees

-> More ITAs for candidates with Canadian university level credentials
(exact words from the slide, I don't know why they use these words, but to my understanding, they might award additional points to Bachelor degrees and up, not Diploma)

2) Siblings

• Providing bonus points for candidates with siblings in Canada

-> More ITAs for candidates with siblings in Canada
-> High-skilled candidates without siblings might have disadvantages

3) French-speaking candidates

• Providing bonus points to French-speaking candidates who intend settle outside Quebec
  • Providing a higher level of points to French-speaking candidates with better English proficiency

-> Express Entry candidates who can speaking both French and English will enjoy a tremendous advantages over everyone else.
-> More ITAs for French-speaking candidates

3) Semi-skilled workers

• Create new program or modifying an existing program to create new patway to PR for semi-skilled worker (NOC C level postitions)
  • Modifying minimum entry requirements for Express Entry to include more candidates

-> Express Entry will include Semi-skilled workers who, up until now, can only apply for PR through PNPs.
-> High-skilled candidates will lose a portion of ITAs to semi-skilled workers.

---Decrease points to---

LMIA

• Significant reduction in points awared to candidates with LMIA
  • Exempting certain candidates from the requirement to validate their job offers
  • Chaing the job duration requirement from "indeterminate" to "one year"

-> No more 600 points for LMIA, so low-skilled positions like cooks and food supervisors can no longer be guaranteed to secure ITA with LMIAs
-> Certain high-skilled positions (IT and engineering positions) can claim extra points for job offer, without applying for an LMIA
-> Significantly reduce the number of low-skilled workers who have abused LMIA to gain an entry to PR.
-> Significantly increase the ITAs for high-skilled candidates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In summary, these are all very good changes to Express Entry which will rebalance the system. Embrace former international students and high-skilled foreign workers (high levels of human capital) instead of low-skilled candidates with LMIAs (very low levels of human capital) -> Fix the LMIA loophole, open more doors for high-tech workers.

Low-skilled workers now no longer have to apply for LMIA or PNPs. They are now accepted to Express Entry.

More importantly, we will see a huge surge in the average score of Express Entry pool, since CEC applicants, candidates with Canadian siblings and French-speaking candidates suddenly have so many bonus points.
As a result, I suspect the cut-off score will go even higher than 450 in 2015. The new threshold might be around 460 or 470. Therefore, don't expect the cut-off score to drop to 400 or below ( "CIC guy in the video" )

(open in new tab for full size)

Extra info:

• As of May 2016, total of 44,062 ITAs have been issued to applicants: 15% to PNPs applicants, 37% to CEC, 43% to FSW and 7% to Federal Skille Trades
  • As of May 2016, almost 22,900 EE candidates and their families have landed as PRs through Express Entry.
  • As of March 2016, 60% of candidates in Express Entry pool are spread within a 100 point rage of 351-450, while 60% of candidates in Express Entry pool are spread within a 100 point rage of 301-450

• With the current LMIA loophole, one in every six ITAs in 2015 belong to either "Fast food supervisors" (NOC 6311) or "Cooks" (NOC 6322) while these two positions are low-wage and low-skilled.

• Therefore, a candidate with 400 CRS points would jump ahead almost 15,000 other candidates if (s)he is given another 50 additional points (Canadian degrees, siblings in Canada or speaks French)

According to this source, the cut-off score of the last remaining draws for 2016 will stay in the range of 475-540

thegreatest

Star Member
Jul 18, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Great job @Alexios07! This sums up why it's taking so long, but now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thegreatest said:
Great job @Alexios07! This sums up why it's taking so long, but now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Yes, very good news for us, especially they are getting rid of the stupid LMIA process. Now, we need to know how many points they will give to Canadian degrees and for Canadian siblings.

karthik506

Apr 5, 2016
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
4011 & 4012
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-05-2017
AOR Received.
07-05-2017
Is there any benefit for postdocs in new changes?

GSSODHI

May 3, 2016
What exactly is to be understood when we say that extra marks/points for Canadian siblings?Do real uncle/aunts can be counted as being in that league?Do real blood relative will be of any help in that scenario when fight is for every extra CRS point?
Or only real brother/sister?

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GSSODHI said:
What exactly is to be understood when we say that extra marks/points for Canadian siblings?Do real uncle/aunts can be counted as being in that league?Do real blood relative will be of any help in that scenario when fight is for every extra CRS point?
Or only real brother/sister?
As they specifically use the word "siblings", I guess only blood brothers and sisters can be counted, not uncle or aunt or cousins.

karthik506 said:
Is there any benefit for postdocs in new changes?
Where did you earn your PhD? in Canada or foreign countries?

thejkhan said:
Good job, +1 Alexios!
Thanks! I just love facts and figures.

Heathcliff77

May 2, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa VO
Doc's Request.
13-01-2017
AOR Received.
07-11-2016
Passport Req..
28-06-2017
I take it this is bad news for Non French speaking FSWs?

karthik506

Apr 5, 2016
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
4011 & 4012
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-05-2017
AOR Received.
07-05-2017
@ Alexios07 ; I earned ph.d in korea and been working for 3 years in canada with temporary work permit.

JALT

Nov 3, 2015
Nice work Alexios07!

Alexios07 said:
Therefore, a candidate with 400 CRS points would jump ahead almost 15,000 other candidates if (s)he is given another 50 additional points (Canadian degrees, siblings in Canada or speaks French)
I took that part to mean he was cautioning against making the additional points too large, for that very reason.

There's going to be lots and lots of people (government and otherwise) frantically tapping away on computers and spreadsheets right now trying to work it all out.

Alexios07 said:
Thanks! I just love facts and figures.
Perfect!! :)

johnny123

Aug 18, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-10-2016
Med's Done....
10-12-2016 passed
Passport Req..
25-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
19-04-2017
I am really curious how many points will be awarded candidates with LMIA. They say "A significant reduction in points awarded to candidates with offers of arranged employment, which would no longer guarantee an invitation while still significantly increasing the chance of being invited;"
A bit confusing statement

GSSODHI

May 3, 2016
Nothing can now be said with sure as of now the only deciding factor will be the sops as being for siblings,Canadian degrees etc.Points will be graded differently for diplomas,degrees,Phds,,,can be safely said.
Rest all is betting to be enjoyed by anyone till the authorities take the final call.
Then the scenario of the pool will change for sure though it won't be upside down