+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postdoc before completion of PhD.

bokharisyeda

Apr 23, 2024
I have a postdoc offer from a research center in Canada; however, I have not defended my thesis. It takes over three months to get a work permit from my country of residence, and the hiring PI is concerned if we can start it soon and can do my defense while waiting for the visa. Is a letter from the institute delineating when the defense is expected enough for a visa application? Has anyone had a similar experience? Kindly advise

AghA13

Star Member
Sep 20, 2023
I have a postdoc offer from a research center in Canada; however, I have not defended my thesis. It takes over three months to get a work permit from my country of residence, and the hiring PI is concerned if we can start it soon and can do my defense while waiting for the visa. Is a letter from the institute delineating when the defense is expected enough for a visa application? Has anyone had a similar experience? Kindly advise
I don't think you can apply for a work permit as a postdoc whiteout your PhD diploma. The institute in Canada must send an LMIA exception application and for this application, they need your diploma. Also, when you apply for a work permit, you have to upload your diploma to show that you are eligible for this job.

freivs

Apr 23, 2024
Hi, I am on the same boat as you. And thats what I did.
I was instructed to get a letter from my committee, my advisor, and the head of the department stating that I fulfilled all requirements of the programs except the defense and it is scheduled to the May 7th. I submited my visa application on April 9th, my biometrics was validated on the 10th, and I am on the background check step. As of right now, I wasn't requested any other document. But I assume I would need to send the diploma at some point, or show it on the port of entry. I