+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post graduate work permit renewal

mohsin.ipr

Jun 24, 2011
hi All,

my master degree was of two years. after i was graduated i applied for PGWP and got the permit for 11 months because my passport was expiring. now i have renewed my passport and want to extend my PGWP.
however when i am determining the eligibility online it was showing that i need LMO ?

my PGWP clearly says that "Document issued to passport expiry date, must be renewed for further extensions".

i think i am not applying the right way. kindly help me if anyone of you have applied for extension before.

~confused~

thisisauser

Nov 23, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
mohsin.ipr said:
hi All,

my master degree was of two years. after i was graduated i applied for PGWP and got the permit for 11 months because my passport was expiring. now i have renewed my passport and want to extend my PGWP.
however when i am determining the eligibility online it was showing that i need LMO ?

my PGWP clearly says that "Document issued to passport expiry date, must be renewed for further extensions".

i think i am not applying the right way. kindly help me if anyone of you have applied for extension before.

~confused~
You don't need LMO. The online wizard is quirky. Hard to say where you went wrong but try repeating.

mohsin.ipr

Jun 24, 2011
should i say YEs to the following question or say no?

Does one of the following apply to you?

I am subject of a removal order that is unenforceable
I applied for a study or work permit before entering Canada which was approved, but not issued at a port of entry;

or I applied for permanent residence to an office in-Canada and was determined to be eligible for permanent resident status (first stage approval).

XanderZ

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 15, 2013
AOR Received.
Nov 22, 2013
Med's Request
Apr 24, 2014
Med's Done....
May 1, 2014
Passport Req..
Feb 5, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 11, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 20, 2015
mohsin.ipr said:
hi All,

~confused~
The way I see it, in order to get the extension for your PGWP (to get the rest of allowance years), you need to apply another PGWP, following all the steps necessary to get the PGWP in the first place.

I actually had the same problem too where I only got 1.5 years because my passport expired. I applied PGWP again, but then I attach additional notes explaining that I just want to get the remainder of my PGWP (which should've been 3 years instead of 1.5), attach all documents, letter etc and you're set!

Hope it helps.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
it means that the online tool will not work for you. You will be better off applying on paper.

khorshed5101

Dec 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July2015
mohsin.ipr said:
this means i should state that i am currently a student?
That is correct...

You have to answer the online questions as if you just finished your degree. Then write a letter explaining that you are applying to extend the PGWP

dastanmo

Star Member
Jan 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 05, 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
I am in a similar situation and have called up CIC multiple times since the online tool would not let me complete the application without an LMO (as you mentioned). The call center people said the only way to apply for PGWP extension is to apply is by paper as the online tool won't allow you to do it. They even sent me an email explaining the process with a link to the application forms.

Here is the link to applying for PGWP by paper - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

If you apply by paper, make sure you include a cover letter explaining your situation - PGWP initially issued to passport expiry and now you want to apply for its extension.

Shinju

Jan 22, 2015
Hi There,

I am at the same situation. I had to sent my papers thought mail instead of email. I was wondering how much time did it took for you permit to get renew because I sent my papers a month ago and my permit expires in less than two months.

mjaffer53

Star Member
Feb 18, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2014
AOR Received.
Feb 2014
Med's Request
Jan 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 2015
Passport Req..
March 2015
VISA ISSUED...
April 2015
LANDED..........
April 2015
You are supposed to say NO to the question that asks you if you have a job offer.

jimmy-george

Star Member
May 12, 2011
I had the EXACT same problem. My attorney sent everything in hard copy through post and I received it without any problem. It took close to 2 months but you will definitely get it. Cheer up my friend!

ali981

Sep 16, 2015
hi All,

my master degree was of two years. after i was graduated i applied for PGWP and got the permit for 1.5 years instead of 3 years and they didn't mention any reason .

i have contacted CIC and they said that they put a request and it takes about 3 months to get a response.

what should i do ? should i reapply right away ?

pdiaz09

Dec 11, 2015
Hi Guys,

I am in the same situation as some of you.
I applied for a 3 year work permit but they only gave me 1.5 years up to my passport expiry date.

I wanted to ask what process did you follow to get the extra time for your work permit?
Is it better to apply by paper or online?
Also do you apply from the perspective as if you just finished university?

Thanks a lot,
Peter

luckychamp

Dec 29, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Master Stream Program
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......