+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

tanxa

Jun 29, 2020
thanks for the number. can you explain what do you mean by maintaining status.
For me, I was a student and I was applying for my post-graduation work permit. As long as I submitted my pgwp application before my study permit expired, I have "maintained" my statues. This was called "implied status" before.

Read this:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/work-without-permit/authorization-work-without-work-permit-implied-status.html

Or this:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html

Bluebox31

May 18, 2023
Hey Mate! Im in the same boat as you, applied on May 24, My application number starts with a W3073XXXXX as well but it is still in the background check stage. I'm surprised to see so many people get their applications approved after post my date of application. What's the status of your application? still in the background check? Did you apply from inside Canada? if so which city?
Hey same here, applied on May 24 with the same application number it’s also in the background checking stage. I saw someone applying on June and getting approved on the same month which is absurd.

rishimxre

Jun 12, 2023
Hey same here, applied on May 24 with the same application number it’s also in the background checking stage. I saw someone applying on June and getting approved on the same month which is absurd.
Having a hard time understanding how the applications are processed in different orders of submission, it is very nerve-wracking waiting on applications and no updates. Hoping that you hear something about your application soon.

jatinaroray2k

Star Member
Aug 9, 2016
Hi I want to update my timeline:
Applied on March 10th, no WP-EXT letter
Correspondence Letter July 8th
Approved July 10th
Hi, I received a correspondence letter yesterday and it's says that final decision as well. However, it's not showing approved yet..

Last edited:

Shmiler

Star Member
Oct 19, 2020
Received my approval yesterday. I applied on May 9th.
It is now showing a work permit number (valid for 3 years) and an ETA number.

Two questions:

1) I have been given an ETA (which for my country allows entry to Canada via plane only). I want to apply for the visa. Does this need to be done online or is there somewhere I can send my passport? I remember seeing something about sending things to Ottawa?

2) Do they upload a copy of the work permit to the portal or do I have to wait until the permit comes through the post in order to extend my SIN?

Thanks, and good luck to all of those still waiting.

Last edited:

sttyd

May 30, 2023
Received my approval yesterday. I applied on May 9th.
It is now showing a work permit number (valid for 3 years) and an ETA number.

Two questions:

1) I have been given an ETA (which for my country allows entry to Canada via plane only). I want to apply for the visa. Does this need to be done online or is there somewhere I can send my passport? I remember seeing something about sending things to Ottawa?

2) Do they upload a copy of the work permit to the portal or do I have to wait until the permit comes through the post in order to extend my SIN?

Thanks, and good luck to all of those still waiting.
Hey!
1. For a visitor visa, you must apply online, and then they will tell you where to send the passport when the visa is approved.
2. You need the original work permit to extend the SIN. Usually, it takes around 4-5 business days after you get the approval letter in your online account.

Can I ask you some questions about your PGWP application?

1. When you applied for PGWP your student visa was valid or did you have to apply with a visitor status?
2. After you applied for PGWP did you get the EXT-WP letter to allow you to work until a decision was made?

Thanks!

Shmiler

Star Member
Oct 19, 2020
Hey!
1. For a visitor visa, you must apply online, and then they will tell you where to send the passport when the visa is approved.
2. You need the original work permit to extend the SIN. Usually, it takes around 4-5 business days after you get the approval letter in your online account.

Can I ask you some questions about your PGWP application?

1. When you applied for PGWP your student visa was valid or did you have to apply with a visitor status?
2. After you applied for PGWP did you get the EXT-WP letter to allow you to work until a decision was made?

Thanks!
Thanks for the reply.

As for your questions:

1) My student permit and TRV were still valid. I applied May 9th and both were due to expire July 21st.
2) I did get the EXT-WP letter, roughly one day after I submitted my PGWP application.

Good luck with your application!

Reactions: Vicksy and sttyd