+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible PGWP refusal

saskgirl

May 8, 2015
I recently applied for my PGWP but I'm scared that I might have missed the 90 day window as I started counting down from my convocation date and not when I received the confirmation letter from my university (I didn't, however, include this letter in my application, just the transcript which states the convocation date only).

Lets say if, God forbid, my PGWP is refused, but my study permit is still valid ( it expires in July 2016 but I got done with my program in June 2015 so I applied for PGWP) do I still have to restore my status as a student to study further or will my existing study permit suffice? I'm expecting to hear a reply from CIC by December.

Also, I completed a 3 year degree, my university said I can update my degree to 4 years if I just take two more semesters now. Would this be a problem if I apply for PGWP later (after I complete two more semesters to get a 4 year degree) due to the break that I took in studies during which I was applying for PGWP since technically they might see it as a breach of my study permit's condition requiring me to be a full-time student in every semester?

Please note that I was issued a study permit before the new laws came into effect in June 2014 so, if I'm right, the 90 day expiry rule from graduation does not apply to me hence making my current study permit still valid?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

akoa

Oct 8, 2015
GTA
Category........
CEC
I have similar situation. I need HELP PLEASE!!! I applied late in sept 2015. I supposed to meet my 3-years program requirements in 2015 Winter but since I had one deferred exam, it took around a month to my grades to come out and at the same time I was doing 16-months internship courses (optional for high gpa students registered in 4 years program) through my university as I was still registered under my 4-years-program. (Also my university went through a strike between March to April 2015). I applied for graduation online for June 2015 and Oct 2015 (later in April i did) because I was not sure if I am eligible to apply while doing my internship courses at the same time My Home country is going through a war started in Jan which changed my plan to graduate with a 3 years program.

I remembered I went to the registration office in March and I asked them about the decision on my graduation request but they said I have to wait for a response from them (auditing) so I did but I didn't hear from them until June where I found out I am already a graduate so I requested a convocation in Oct 2015. btw, my coop and study permit were about to expired in July so I had to renewed my coop and study permit in early April and I received it in June. NOW I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!?? Help Please. Thank you in advance.

vivian hsu

Nov 28, 2015
hello friend,

Yes, as you already know, the 90 days expiry rule from graduation doesn't apply to your case. However, you will need to continue studying if you want to make your visa keep valid.

According to CIC website, Under the new rules, your study permit will become invalid 90 days after you have completed your study program. If you switch to a shorter-term program or finish your studies early, your study permit will expire 90 days after your study program has been completed. Your program is considered complete when you receive written notification of program completion (for example, a transcript or an official letter) from your institution or once you obtain your degree, diploma or certificate. This does not apply to you if your study permit application was received before June 1, 2014, or if you were issued a study permit before June 1, 2014.

Can I just know when was the issue date of your final transcript or the graduation letter, and what date did you apply for your PGWP? Are you sure that it has been more than 90 days after your final transcript when you applied for your PGWP? I just want to help you and look for something you can do.

Thanks.

akoa

Oct 8, 2015
GTA
Category........
CEC
Hi Vivian, in my case, my transcript was issued on Sept 2015 (the time when I applied) and it was not a final transcript because currently i am still in my 4 years program (taking coop courses now) but it mentioned that i graduated in June 2015 with 3 years program. I renewed my study permit and Coop work permit in April 2015. btw, I just got a letter from my university explaining that I have applied for graduation in June 2015 but I was not directly informed so I couldn't attend my graduation ceremony in June so I attended my Oct 2015 ceremony. but I can't send this letter to them now. Just in case I got refused.

Prabhgill

Jan 14, 2016
Hey,
I graduated from a 2 year program with 3.1 gpa in April 2015. I applied for Pgwp on June 9. But, I uploaded study permit instead of passport copy. I got a refusal on 21 September. I again applied with a letter of justification through a lawyer on September 23. I again got a refusal on January 11 stating that I applied after 90 days, but because CIC responded me after 90 days for the first time. My study permit is valid until Nov. 2016. I don't know what to do know. Please help with the options available!!!

Mohammad Wally

Star Member
Oct 19, 2013
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your situation. CIC didn't respond after 90 days. It depends on their processing time. They responded according to their processing time. I really don't kno what you can possibly do at this situation. Try to get an advice from scylla.

kennykay

Nov 23, 2015
Prabhgill said:
Hey,
I graduated from a 2 year program with 3.1 gpa in April 2015. I applied for Pgwp on June 9. But, I uploaded study permit instead of passport copy. I got a refusal on 21 September. I again applied with a letter of justification through a lawyer on September 23. I again got a refusal on January 11 stating that I applied after 90 days, but because CIC responded me after 90 days for the first time. My study permit is valid until Nov. 2016. I don't know what to do know. Please help with the options available!!!
Prabhgill,
What was the specific reason given for the initial refusal?Did you in your second application, pay for restoration of status and other stuff like Study permit and the work permits?

ujont

Jan 7, 2016
Prabhgill said:
Hey,
hey, did your lawyer apply for restoration+pgwp and how much did you pay? any chance you can paste both refusal letters?