+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possibility to work for the government/province/city

Bakhadur

Jul 24, 2017
Waiting for PR I've started working for some local non-profits and private firms. I cannot say that it was easy, but having the good education and international working experience I could manage to have a clerical job at the mid-level (a level up, than office admin). This level is comparatively nothing for me as back home I was at the top-managerial level. Yet for beginning of my life in Canada it was reportedly not bad, even great I would say. Gaining some experience and reputation now I want to apply for some other specific jobs, and I've seen recently a couple of relevant job announcements at federal and provincial agencies. These jobs do not have any special security requirements, as they are just social and community worker jobs. Eager to apply I was stopped by some friends who said that it is almost impossible to have that type jobs having just refugee work permit, and it does not matter what level and specific the jobs have. This is not official though. Anyone had any such type of issue? Anyone tried?

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Waiting for PR I've started working for some local non-profits and private firms. I cannot say that it was easy, but having the good education and international working experience I could manage to have a clerical job at the mid-level (a level up, than office admin). This level is comparatively nothing for me as back home I was at the top-managerial level. Yet for beginning of my life in Canada it was reportedly not bad, even great I would say. Gaining some experience and reputation now I want to apply for some other specific jobs, and I've seen recently a couple of relevant job announcements at federal and provincial agencies. These jobs do not have any special security requirements, as they are just social and community worker jobs. Eager to apply I was stopped by some friends who said that it is almost impossible to have that type jobs having just refugee work permit, and it does not matter what level and specific the jobs have. This is not official though. Anyone had any such type of issue? Anyone tried?
Hi there! My opinion is as follows, and again this is only my opinion and advice.
I believe any job that doesn't require handling secret or very sensitive government information will be har to get before becoming a PR or in some cases a citizen (which makes sense). Some jobs require a certain level of security clearance, those will be hard to get. But for jobs that just require a regular background check for you to obtain the credentials shouldn't be an issue. Anyways, a basic rule of thumb, if the job requirements does not mention that you need to be a permanent resident or a citizen then you should try and apply for it as long as you meet the other requirements.
I wish you the best of luck and success.
Cheers!

Reactions: Bakhadur

Bakhadur

Jul 24, 2017
Unless otherwise stated in the job posting or on your work permit, nothing can stop you from getting a job. There are certain Federal/provincial jobs which are only open to citizens/PR but if it doesn't say so, your work permit gives you the authorization to work if you can secure the job. Good luck!
Hi there! My opinion is as follows, and again this is only my opinion and advice.
I believe any job that doesn't require handling secret or very sensitive government information will be har to get before becoming a PR or in some cases a citizen (which makes sense). Some jobs require a certain level of security clearance, those will be hard to get. But for jobs that just require a regular background check for you to obtain the credentials shouldn't be an issue. Anyways, a basic rule of thumb, if the job requirements does not mention that you need to be a permanent resident or a citizen then you should try and apply for it as long as you meet the other requirements.
I wish you the best of luck and success.
Cheers!
Thanks so much guys! What you told are the ideal world, hope it is going to be so and my friends' info just a false allegation. I will apply and keep apprised for any relevant info

lawa

Jan 23, 2019
I'm in the same position as you, I have work experience with lot of known international organization from back home do you think it will help to find a job as I heard my experience is equal to Zero here, and what steps did you take, did you just send resumes to the ngo position advertisement? your sharing is appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm in the same position as you, I have work experience with lot of known international organization from back home do you think it will help to find a job as I heard my experience is equal to Zero here, and what steps did you take, did you just send resumes to the ngo position advertisement? your sharing is appreciated.
Working for establish NGOs is very competitive in Canada. Until you have you get the results of your hearing it is hard to get a decent job because organizations don't want to invest in training a new employee and if they get refused they would have spent time and effort into training an employee for nothing.

Bakhadur

Jul 24, 2017
You are damn right! I came here with the brilliant records in my resume - UN consultant and WB and ADB advisor, which meant nothing until I got a little local experience. Local experience? Yep, as all do here, through volunteering. To make sure I spent a year volunteering! I did it for two different NGOs in their three different locations, 8 to 10 hours per week. And I understand now why they do not accept our international background, because of local specifics. Being poorly aware on local circumstances you barely can pretend on a decent job. Volunteering here is even more responsible task than a job itself ;) In addition, this is a great networking source!

Reactions: sss12345

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are damn right! I came here with the brilliant records in my resume - UN consultant and WB and ADB advisor, which meant nothing until I got a little local experience. Local experience? Yep, as all do here, through volunteering. To make sure I spent a year volunteering! I did it for two different NGOs in their three different locations, 8 to 10 hours per week. And I understand now why they do not accept our international background, because of local specifics. Being poorly aware on local circumstances you barely can pretend on a decent job. Volunteering here is even more responsible task than a job itself ;) In addition, this is a great networking source!
Many Canadians especially new graduates have to do the same thing. They either volunteer or do an internship. Although the UN is a large well known organization most will have experience will smaller organizations. Every country has different ways of doing business as well so it is hard to trust business experience from unknown organization. Unfortunately there is also a lot of fraud when it comes to foreign employment. Canadian employers want to see that new workers will be a good fit for the organization, are competent and knowledgeable and they have a good work ethic. I have suggested volunteering to many people to get out of the house, meet new people, practice language, get Canadian experience and references to say you are dependable, you show up on time and work hard. Volunteering may not always be in your field but you never know who you will meet. Same as a temporary survival job.

lawa

Jan 23, 2019
Same here i have experience with UN, USAID and DRC, what NGOs exactly did you volunteer with and in which area you are, i think i have to do survivor job for now until I rebuild my experience again.

Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Same here i have experience with UN, USAID and DRC, what NGOs exactly did you volunteer with and in which area you are, i think i have to do survivor job for now until I rebuild my experience again.

Thank you
Just warning you the development field isn't huge in Canada especially for jobs actually primarily located in Canada and international development is a very popular field of study. Would encourage you to widen your search. What often happens is that refugees often start working with various NGOs associated with refugee settlement. Often the organization that helped them initially. Things like MSF Canada employs 15-20 people and a lot is in fundraising so not a huge number of jobs.

lawa

Jan 23, 2019
Just warning you the development field isn't huge in Canada especially for jobs actually primarily located in Canada and international development is a very popular field of study. Would encourage you to widen your search. What often happens is that refugees often start working with various NGOs associated with refugee settlement. Often the organization that helped them initially. Things like MSF Canada employs 15-20 people and a lot is in fundraising so not a huge number of jobs.
I can see that too, I have engineering background but never worked in that field, I just dont want to sit as Im young and I can work, Iwas able to survive for 3 months on my savings and now i had to go on ontario work until i get my work permit which some thing that I hate my self for, I send lot of emails for volunteering to at least give back and rebuild my experience but didnt hear back from any. I submitted my all documents and no ngo helped me thats why indont know what NGOs are available.
My back ground could be checked as i have a UN index number that confirm all my information but i think still it is not working.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If there are local organizations stop by or call. Volunteers are always in need. You can ask your settlement organization for information about volunteer opportunities. Go into your local community centre or church/mosque synagogues and ask about organizations that would need help. Those are good places to start.

Bakhadur

Jul 24, 2017
I can see that too, I have engineering background but never worked in that field, I just dont want to sit as Im young and I can work, Iwas able to survive for 3 months on my savings and now i had to go on ontario work until i get my work permit which some thing that I hate my self for, I send lot of emails for volunteering to at least give back and rebuild my experience but didnt hear back from any. I submitted my all documents and no ngo helped me thats why indont know what NGOs are available.
My back ground could be checked as i have a UN index number that confirm all my information but i think still it is not working.
Which province you are residing in? Usually it may appear some slight variations from province to province, however the general trends in the NGO sector in Canada in my opinion covering such topics as immigrant settlement services (not only for refugees, for all immigrants), local community groups (covering a variety of local issues from social assistance to child care and assistance for mentally challenged people), fundraising groups (collecting funds for local (giving a hand for homeless people and etc), or international issues (helping to cope with consequences of wars, natural disasters and others)). This is for NGOs, however there are many other options to volunteering, as Canuck78 rightly emphasized above - widen your search, there is a lot of other organizations - public and private - looking for volunteers. Here is some relevant links on how, where and why:
1. https://volunteer.ca/
2. https://www.ontario.ca/page/volunteering-ontario
3. https://www.volunteertoronto.ca/blogpost/1302191/228419/5-Ways-Volunteering-Can-Help-You-Find-a-Job

Dig some more there, and can run into something relevant for you, good luck!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also you may want to look at getting your licenses as an engineer. Not sure what languages you know and how good your English writingskillqs are but there may be opportunities in more think tank organizations. I would look into ways to leverage your development knowledge with your language knowledge. If you have good language skills (spoken and written) in something like English and Arabic plus work for big political organizations like the UN you could leverage that. Immediately I think government or think tank type places. Honestly things will be more difficult until you can get your PR.

Bakhadur

Jul 24, 2017
Honestly things will be more difficult until you can get your PR.
This is my initial topic question. Although everything seems widely open for a work permit holder, there is some doubts still. The very first time when I attended one of the employment workshops, a facilitator by mistake said 'things are complicated if you do not have a normal SIN' :), he was mentioning SIN starting with 9...

Violet flower

Oct 14, 2018
This is my initial topic question. Although everything seems widely open for a work permit holder, there is some doubts still. The very first time when I attended one of the employment workshops, a facilitator by mistake said 'things are complicated if you do not have a normal SIN' :), he was mentioning SIN starting with 9...

Correct, if you don't have the permanent SIN won't be easy to find a decent job.
Best of luck!