+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possibility of returning to Canada

aanjum

Jan 17, 2015
Hi, I got my PR in 2004 and spent a lot of time in Canada before moving back to my home country to take-care of my ailing father. Since i moved back five years back, I certainly don't meet residency requirements. My PR card expired almost 11 month ago and I don't have my Landing Paper. What I have is VoS (Verification of Landing) which was issued in 2010. I also have valid US visit visa.

Would it be possible for me to enter Canada in my sister's car (Canadian Citizen) only with my VoS? I know they allow you in with Record of landing however can I do it with VoS?

I would really appreciate if someone can provide guidance or an alternate ... I know going through Travel document is the right way of doing it but having not lived in Canada can hurt my case.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. If your home country is visitor visa exempt you have the option of flying to Canada and dealing with CBSA at the Port of Entry. The VOS will assist CBSA confirm your landing at the land border. This entry be it land or air has Secondary Inspection written all over it. With a 5 year absence its going to be a hard sell of avoiding a report of breaching the RO unless the ailments you returned home to deal with are acceptable as a H&C ground. You best bring solid documentary evidence of the medical treatment.

2. Regardless of report you will be admitted as a PR and will retain the status until the courts make a decision on any appeal. If reported and you don't appeal you have to leave Canada within 30 days of the departure order issued.

3. If you avoid a report sit tight in Canada without any interaction with CIC, CBSA so no travel, PR Card renewal, Sponsorship until you are back in RO compliance - 730 days of physical presence. Good luck.