+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

POLYGAMY AND CANADIAN IMMIGRATION

S

shibuya

The Canadian embassy and consular staff across the world is being quietly reminded that the Canadian government does not permit those immigrants who intend to practice polygamy in Canada.

This reminder has come about after documents were obtained through access to information and supplied to QMI Agency. As per these documents, bureaucrats in Saudi Arabia and Morocco were pressurized to deal with polygamy in applications for temporary and visit visas.

According to a draft document which was developed by the national headquarters for Citizenship and Immigration Canada, a practicing polygamist cannot be denied entry to Canada on a temporary basis. However, practicing the same is not permitted in Canada. Incase, an applicant who has been involved in polygamous marriages or have been into conjugal relationships while in Canada or gives reasons to immigration officials to believe that he would be involved in such an act, the applicant can be denied an entry. The document has also stated various circumstances which immigration officers might face and how they must deal with it.

According to spokesman Alykhan Velshi from the Immigration Minister’s office, the department is putting all the efforts to ensure that polygamy stays out of Canada. He also said that the Mr. Kenney has asked to check whether there are any loopholes anywhere. If found any, they must be closed.

On the other hand, the issue of polygamy is also in the Canadian courts. The British Columbia government has requested the courts to cater to the constitutionality of laws which could ban polygamy in Canada. Above all, when it comes to such a practice, the government as well as the immigration authorities has to be more vigilant so as to not allow the roots of such practice to enter the nation.

CanadaVisa4me

Star Member
Aug 5, 2009
It would be better not to post such on this forum because it gives information to polygamists to work around the system.

azb

Aug 21, 2011
I need help and advise. Here is the situation:
My dad and mom became canadian citizens when they were living together. My dad cheated on my mom and then my mom moved to U.S. and dad stayed overseas (not in Canada). They are separated for more than 10 years, but they are not legally divorced. My dad got married and has a child from his second marriage. Recently I have found out that he is applying for his second wife, the child, and also his step-daughter (who is over 21 now). I know polygamy is not allowed in Canada and Immigration does not recognize it. I need help and advise on how to stop the process. I even have the contact info of the attorney and the law firm who is doing their case. I bet they do not know the who situation. It is a family issue, not relevant to the forum here, but I really wanna stop the process. Thanks in advance!

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is this related to the "fraud family class sponsorship" case you posted about somewhere else?

funty

Star Member
Aug 8, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
not yet
azb said:
My dad and mom became canadian citizens when they were living together. My dad cheated on my mom and then my mom moved to U.S. and dad stayed overseas (not in Canada). They are separated for more than 10 years, but they are not legally divorced. My dad got married and has a child from his second marriage. Recently I have found out that he is applying for his second wife, the child, and also his step-daughter (who is over 21 now). I know polygamy is not allowed in Canada and Immigration does not recognize it. I need help and advise on how to stop the process. I even have the contact info of the attorney and the law firm who is doing their case. I bet they do not know the who situation. It is a family issue, not relevant to the forum here, but I really wanna stop the process. Thanks in advance!
I dont know if you should rat him out, but howcome he is married again without being legally divorced. That's polygamy, and it is illegal in canada. if it wont affect you in anyway, let sleeping dogs lie.................but if it would, then you better spill the beans!!!!

mperei02

Aug 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
NOC Code......
Social Worker
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29/12/2010
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
20/6/2011
Med's Request
Currently ECAS shows in process since 26 Aug 2011
Med's Done....
20th September Completed / Received 7th October.
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13 Jan 2012
VISA ISSUED...
16 Jan 2012
LANDED..........
May 2012....returned Nov 2012
stay in the countries which legally allows more than 1 wife...

jpopc79

Star Member
Jul 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUG 29/11
IELTS Request
AUG 29/11 WITH FULL DOCS
azb said:
this is polygamy and it is not allowed