+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Clearance procedure from India

monica_5

Mar 28, 2007
Hello,

Does anybody know the police clearance procedure from India. Has anybody got this done?
If yes, please let me know that after you mail your required paperwork to the consulate here in the US how and when do they get in touch with you.

Thanks.

shabab

Star Member
Jan 25, 2007
monica_5 said:
Hello,

Does anybody know the police clearance procedure from India. Has anybody got this done?
If yes, please let me know that after you mail your required paperwork to the consulate here in the US how and when do they get in touch with you.

Thanks.
Monica:

You have to approach your nearest Indian Consulate.
Call their direct number and enquire about the procedure. If they are not picking up the phone, find out from their website.

Normally the procedure is:
Either go directly to the office, if close enough, Fill up the PCC Application Form, submit a fee of US$20 for the PCC along with notarised copy of your passport. They will advise you when to collect it back.
OR
Print the PCC Application Form from their website, fill it up, enclose a notarised copy of your passport and a MO for US$20 with additional amount of US$5 for return mail.

Best is to call them first

There are different time periods for these consulates to do the PCC. Most places they are taking around 4 weeks. But going personally, I heard they took only 7 days.

Good Luck
Shabab

monica_5

Mar 28, 2007
Thanks for your reply,

1) Does the passport copy has to be notorized, their website does not say that?
2) You mentioned that it is done in 4 weeks and 7 days if a person goes personally, I had mailed my passport copy and $ 20 only. Will they inform me by mail if the paperwork is ready or how will I come to know? Should I email one of the email addresses that is one their website?

Do you know what is their process, do they mail the paperwork to India?

NC

Mar 6, 2007
It took me only 1 week to get my police clearance cert from the Indian embassy in Washington DC. I submitted my forms with our passports on Monday and got it back the next Monday. You have to give them the original passport and they will put a small stamp on your passport and give you a letter certifying that you do not have a criminal record.
Nothing is sent to india. The verification is done only within the embassys records.
Hope that help.

NC

monica_5

Mar 28, 2007
Thanks NC for the information,

I had called up the Chicago consulate and they mentioned that the information is sent to India for verification. Even the MISC form mentions that PCC is given after verifying from India. And they mentioned that the PCC is given after 60 days. I read in your email that you did not have to go thru all this. Now I am not sure that when should I go to the consulate to get the certificate, will they mail me a letter or should I just go to the consulate after 60 days?

Thanks in advance ...

pinks

Apr 2, 2007
Hi Monica:

Indian embassy in chicago is no good. I applied for my PCC more than a yr back..but did not hear from them till date...I also send them the 20$,form,passport copies...but no response nor they pic the phone..just send ur app in first and then get other things...

All my friends have done the same way...

Let me know once you get the PCC .

Pinks

ranjus

Apr 29, 2004
If you have a relative or friend in India why go thru all the hassles of Indian embassy/consulate where some bunch of morons work. You can send an authorization letter and get a PCC from Police commissioner of your city in India.

rajesh3140

Apr 19, 2007
First you please decide as whether you want it through Indian embassy or from local police in India.
I can tell you the procedure as how to get it from India.

Send an authorisation letter along with copies of your passport (attested) and a letter as why you need it (letter from embassy/website asking for it). Then find out as who is responsible to issue it?

It may be either your DCP/SP or the CID branch. Its free of charge in Delhi, so far.

In Delhi the DCP of the district is responsible and either the staff officer of DCP or the General branch or the PRO are the one who are entrusted with this job. They will give you a form to be filled up for the PCC. It would be a good idea to go with the required papers so that you can fill up the form right there and attach the required papers. It will be send to your local police station and then back after enquiry after an officer from local police/CID ( as the case may be) visit your place.

You will get the PCC from the same place where you have submitted that.

Ask me if you have any specific question problem related to above. The process is timed so no need to bribe anyone.