+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Clearance Certificates for Spouse/Dependant

cecapp14

Star Member
May 7, 2014
Hi all,
I am new here.
I was almost ready to submit my application (I am just waiting for the english test results) when I found this forum.

Reading here and there I found topics saying that if I apply for the permanent residence, I need to provide the police clearance certificates of my spouse as well.
Now seems I am missing documentation to complete the application.

Unfortunately I did not get them before because by reading the check list seemed to me they were not necessary.

The check list says:
"You must get a police certificate from each country or territory were you lived for six or more months in a row since the age of 18."

As I read this requirement, it is not making reference to the one of my spouse or other dependants. While in other sections the check list sets specific requirements for the spouse (e.g. Identity and Civil Status documents where it says "You must provide the following documents for you and your spouse or common-law partner")

If I read the forum I am quite clear that I need to get these certificates at the earliest, but still I cannot see where this requirement is defined.
I am also wondering if the PCCs were required in previous version of the check list and have been withdrawn in the current one.

Does anyone have a recent experience or can confirm that no matter how the check list is read, those certificates are needed for the spouse as well?

Thanks!

iamelle

Oct 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 20, 2014
AOR Received.
March 18, 2014
IELTS Request
CELPIP - Sent with application
Med's Request
Sept 9, 2014
Med's Done....
Sept 19, 2014
Passport Req..
January 21, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
March 26, 2015
LANDED..........
March 28, 2015
Yes, police certificate is on the document checklist but you can submit your application without it by writing an explanation letter that you will be submitting it later. I did that and it was ok, I got my AOR. So go ahead and submit your application as soon as you are eligible.

pNick

Star Member
Apr 24, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-Apr-2014
Doc's Request.
RCMP requested on 02-06-2014
AOR Received.
8-May-2014
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
14-May-14
Med's Request
12-Nov-14
Med's Done....
14-Nov-14
Interview........
Medical received on 24-Nov-14
Passport Req..
26-Nov-14
LANDED..........
30-Dec-14
cecapp14 said:
Does anyone have a recent experience or can confirm that no matter how the check list is read, those certificates are needed for the spouse as well?
Yes, you need PCC for both of you.

cecapp14

Star Member
May 7, 2014
Thanks all.

I will then require the certificates for my wife but in the mean time I will submit the application with mine.
Still I don't see why the checklist is not specific about as usually is for other certificates/forms where is clearly mentioned that should be provided both for the applicant and spouse/dependant. Or perhaps is only me to not understand this requirement? ;D

What should I write i the explanation letter? I will have to submit them as soon I receive the forms or when they will ask me? These missing documents will make CIC sending back my application?

Thanks

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
cecapp14 said:
Thanks all.

I will then require the certificates for my wife but in the mean time I will submit the application with mine.
Still I don't see why the checklist is not specific about as usually is for other certificates/forms where is clearly mentioned that should be provided both for the applicant and spouse/dependant. Or perhaps is only me to not understand this requirement? ;D

What should I write i the explanation letter? I will have to submit them as soon I receive the forms or when they will ask me? These missing documents will make CIC sending back my application?

Thanks
Don't worry. CIC will not send your application back. Just write a brief explanation letter, that you will send your wife's PCC later. Applicants with PCC not included in their initial package are usually sending them after receiving AOR.

iamelle

Oct 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 20, 2014
AOR Received.
March 18, 2014
IELTS Request
CELPIP - Sent with application
Med's Request
Sept 9, 2014
Med's Done....
Sept 19, 2014
Passport Req..
January 21, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
March 26, 2015
LANDED..........
March 28, 2015
^ Totally agree :)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
cecapp14 said:
Still I don't see why the checklist is not specific about as usually is for other certificates/forms where is clearly mentioned that should be provided both for the applicant and spouse/dependant. Or perhaps is only me to not understand this requirement?
You have a good point, but CIC expects you to click on the web link provided in the document checklist, and read the instructions on their website about PCCs, where it clearly indicates the requirement for family members. (It is also in the instruction guide). But yes, it seems to be an oversight on the document checklist.

cecapp14

Star Member
May 7, 2014
jes_ON said:
You have a good point, but CIC expects you to click on the web link provided in the document checklist, and read the instructions on their website about PCCs, where it clearly indicates the requirement for family members. (It is also in the instruction guide). But yes, it seems to be an oversight on the document checklist.
You are right! I clicked the link but I went directly to the countries without looking at the first rows of the page...!
Neither I read that section in the guide...kind of shallow. Guess I need to go through the guide better! ;)

MRS.L

Apr 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 25,2015
Doc's Request.
PPR:Aug 20,2015; IP: Aug 26,2015
AOR Received.
June 27,2015
File Transfer...
SA email:July 31,2015/CEM: Aug 04,2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
11-05-2015
LANDED..........
before Nov 28, 2015 :)
hi,

I am being sponsored by husband which is currently a PR, just want to clarify regarding this too. do i still need to get police clearance (from police station) if I already have secured my NBI (international) clearance ?

tia!

jamious0

May 21, 2015
Hi,
Any news if the police certificates were requested for the spouse?

I have already recieved my AOR and today i was contacted for medicals. The only thing i haven't submitted with the application were the Police certificates for my common law. Taking into consideration that we have both recieved the invitation to do the medical tests, is it possible that she wont be ask for the police certificates? I thought the medicals were the last thing requested. In your experience she might be asked afterwards?

Thanks

siddtau

May 22, 2017
Hello,

Im still not clear on this.

When I received the ITA, my wife's name is not mentioned in that letter. Indian embassy in Singapore wants me to to produce letter where they can see that CIC has requested PCC for my wife.

Also in document checklist there is a row for Wife's PCC. Means they are expecting PCC for spouse at the time of submission.

Please help if you have already been through this.

Thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hello,

Im still not clear on this.

When I received the ITA, my wife's name is not mentioned in that letter. Indian embassy in Singapore wants me to to produce letter where they can see that CIC has requested PCC for my wife.

Also in document checklist there is a row for Wife's PCC. Means they are expecting PCC for spouse at the time of submission.
Not withstanding the old thread from 2014 (before express entry), IRCC clearly indicates that any co-applicant over the age of 18 also requires PCCs -

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

"Individuals who must submit this documentation
  • The principal applicant
  • Their spouse or common-law partner
  • Their dependent children 18 years of age or older, including non-accompanying"
With Express Entry, IRCC began enforcing the requirement to provide PCCs upfront, EXCEPT where it states otherwise on country-specific instructions.

Can't help you with the Indian Embassy in Singapore, however. Explore alternatives.

siddtau

May 22, 2017
Not withstanding the old thread from 2014 (before express entry), IRCC clearly indicates that any co-applicant over the age of 18 also requires PCCs -

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

"Individuals who must submit this documentation
  • The principal applicant
  • Their spouse or common-law partner
  • Their dependent children 18 years of age or older, including non-accompanying"
With Express Entry, IRCC began enforcing the requirement to provide PCCs upfront, EXCEPT where it states otherwise on country-specific instructions.

Can't help you with the Indian Embassy in Singapore, however. Explore alternatives.
Thank You Jes_On.
I was able to get PCC from Indian embassy in Singapore for me and my wife.

Document checklist print was submitted as proof of PCC requirement. It clearly states dependant's name.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thank You Jes_On.
I was able to get PCC from Indian embassy in Singapore for me and my wife.

Document checklist print was submitted as proof of PCC requirement. It clearly states dependant's name.

Whew, that's great. Good luck with your application!

Aug 21, 2017
hi ,
i need to ask u that i m a main applicant but my husband studied his masters in russia and spend almost 7 years in russia.my question is does he require a police certificate from russia