+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Clearance: Any New Yorkers out there???

bonacker

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Eastern Long Island, New York
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June, 2012
File Transfer...
August, 2012
Med's Done....
March, 2012
Hi Y'all:

Sorry if everyone's been over this a million times, but I can't find a straight answer on this. I'm about to send in my whole application, with medical and FBI clearance and everything. I know that the instructions say I "may" be required to get a state police clearance, as well, and that they'll notify me. But I'd love to know ASAP, since some people say this has delayed their progress by months. Others say it's totally not necessary for my state. I'm from New York, and have lived in that state my whole life. So, New Yorkers... did YOU need a state police clearance? Yes, no? And if yes: Anyone mind tipping me off on how to do this? THANK YOU!! :D ;D :D ;D

PS: I actually have an extra fingerprint card from my local police department, because when I went in to get the prints that were mailed to the FBI, they printed me twice and gave me the extra set, just in case there was any problem with the reading of my prints. So if I just need to get the ball rolling by mailing prints anywhere, I'd be totally relieved. (Cause I'm living in Nova Scotia now w/my Canadian husband.)

diddagirl

Star Member
Aug 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's not a requirement that varies depending on what state you have lived in. They used to request state clearances with all applications, but have recently changed that- and you only need to submit them should they request them. This request will be based on your individual application, not the state you come from.

If you have the extra fingerprints and are worried about the delay it may cause should they request a state clearance, then why not send away for it now, so there is one less thing to potentially hold up your application. Personally, that's what I would do!

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
diddagirl said:
It's not a requirement that varies depending on what state you have lived in. They used to request state clearances with all applications, but have recently changed that- and you only need to submit them should they request them. This request will be based on your individual application, not the state you come from.

If you have the extra fingerprints and are worried about the delay it may cause should they request a state clearance, then why not send away for it now, so there is one less thing to potentially hold up your application. Personally, that's what I would do!
Absolutely in agreement. The cost is minimal compared to the delay and if you only have one state to have done and have have the fingerprints already I can't see a reason why not to follow through and ensure that any delay is not on your end.

My 2 cents worth at todays exchange rate = .0193 cents US

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My application was delayed 3 months because of a state police certificate request. I highly recommend sending them in with your application, just in case.

dfb

Star Member
Jul 23, 2008
I sent in state clearances (incl NY) with my application. My understanding is that it used to be unclear, but now it is required (this was back in June 2009). Not sure if it has changed since then, but when I asked on this forum around that time, someone pointed me to where it said it was now required on the Immigration website

Be careful with using the prints you already have - I believe that NY has a slightly different fingerprint form. I know you can send away to the state for it - if you do that it takes a week or so to get the packet with the correct form back. The place in Toronto where I had my prints done actually had the NY form, so I just ended up using theirs (and didn't have to wait for the one I had requested from the state).

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It used to be that it said that they may be required, then it changed to that they are required, and a couple of months ago it changed back to say that they may be requested, which it still says.

You never know when it will change back to be required, so I say better safe than sorry. :)