+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Clearance and IELTS Questions for Citizenship

LTheanine

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
Hi,

I am applying for citizenship using the online platform and I came across this question:

"In the past 4 years, were you in a country or territory other than Canada for 183 days or more in a row (since the age of 18)?"

If we will count 4 years, this includes the range from September 2018 up to September 2019. From September 2018 until before I arrived in September 2019 I was still outside of Canada.

I arrived in September 2019 as a landed PR so I believe this question has an answer of a 'YES' for me.

Now the question is, can I use the Police Certificate that I used to apply for permanent residency 4 years ago (It was produced August of 2019)? I cannot go back to my birth country for it now, and I haven't been outside of Canada anyway since I have landed.

Also, there is a question about language skills.

Can I use the IELTS Certificate that I submitted when I applied for permanent residency (which was 3 years ago), or do I need to retake it?

Thank you!

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hi,

I am applying for citizenship using the online platform and I came across this question:

"In the past 4 years, were you in a country or territory other than Canada for 183 days or more in a row (since the age of 18)?"

If we will count 4 years, this includes the range from September 2018 up to September 2019. From September 2018 until before I arrived in September 2019 I was still outside of Canada.

I arrived in September 2019 as a landed PR so I believe this question has an answer of a 'YES' for me.

Now the question is, can I use the Police Certificate that I used to apply for permanent residency 4 years ago (It was produced August of 2019)? I cannot go back to my birth country for it now, and I haven't been outside of Canada anyway since I have landed.

Also, there is a question about language skills.

Can I use the IELTS Certificate that I submitted when I applied for permanent residency (which was 3 years ago), or do I need to retake it?

Thank you!
I think Police Clearance Certificates have a validity date so this one may not work.

It is fine to use the old IELTS score. I did. Not sure what is the purpose of an expiry date on the IELTS score. I mean it is unlikely one will lose their English Language skills the day after the expiry date.

RamyMN

Star Member
Dec 13, 2019
According to the Q&A section of IRCC website

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=595&top=5#

You can use the same language certificate you provided in your immigration process

As per the application guide under question 10

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step3

You don’t need to provide a police certificate if

• you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and
  • this time falls within the past 4 years