+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police check/clearance expiry

msgomez

Star Member
Dec 5, 2008
Canada
Can anyone provide me with some information regarding police check expiry. We have all the documents ready to send to CIC but I am getting different feedback on when this document expiries.

Some people have told me that it's good for a year on the Canadian side but that it has to re-done before a visa is granted in their home country. Others have said it's good for 3 months, 6 months, a year... has anyone had any experience with this? Will an expired police check pass on the Canadian side when submitting documents for sponsorship?

Help!!

habib890

Mar 30, 2008
msgomez said:
Can anyone provide me with some information regarding police check expiry. We have all the documents ready to send to CIC but I am getting different feedback on when this document expiries.

Some people have told me that it's good for a year on the Canadian side but that it has to re-done before a visa is granted in their home country. Others have said it's good for 3 months, 6 months, a year... has anyone had any experience with this? Will an expired police check pass on the Canadian side when submitting documents for sponsorship?

Help!!
- I submitted my original expired police clearance certificate with my application package. After several months (while visiting my home country) I obtained another police clearance certificate and forwarded it to my visa office. In my opinion, do not worry just send the police clearance certificate what you have now. And when get chance get another up to date copy and update your file with it.

msgomez

Star Member
Dec 5, 2008
Canada
Turns out my husband's police check has expired... a phone call to CIC confirmed that it can not be any older than 3 months old when the package is sent in to Mississauga.

After getting all kinds of different feedback, this is just another of many bumps along our road to finally bringing him here. My husband is Cuban and obtaining these documents is lengthy and expensive, not to mention the extra expenses of travelling and translating the documents.

As wearing as it is on us, we've decided to just obtain a new clearance so that we can avoid giving CIC any reason whatsoever in returning our package as "incomplete". What gets me is that they've also mentioned that over the course of processing this "3 month old" document will have to be re-done yet again!

habib890

Mar 30, 2008
msgomez said:
Turns out my husband's police check has expired... a phone call to CIC confirmed that it can not be any older than 3 months old when the package is sent in to Mississauga.

After getting all kinds of different feedback, this is just another of many bumps along our road to finally bringing him here. My husband is Cuban and obtaining these documents is lengthy and expensive, not to mention the extra expenses of travelling and translating the documents.

As wearing as it is on us, we've decided to just obtain a new clearance so that we can avoid giving CIC any reason whatsoever in returning our package as "incomplete". What gets me is that they've also mentioned that over the course of processing this "3 month old" document will have to be re-done yet again!
-It seems they do not try to understand how difficult it is to obtain such type of documents.
Anyway, I wish you good luck!

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
msgomez said:
What gets me is that they've also mentioned that over the course of processing this "3 month old" document will have to be re-done yet again!
Actually, the information is right in the Applicant's Guide, included with the application. They sneak lots of little tidbits of information into various documents - they want you to read it all. I believe it's a test! ;)

Police certificates

"You and your family members who are 18 years of age and older and are not permanent residents or Canadian citizens have to provide:

* a valid police certificate, or
* police clearance, or
* record of no information.

These documents are to be provided for each country other than Canada, in which you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18.

Note: If you or your family members were under 18 years of age (16 years of age in certain jurisdictions) for the entire time you lived in a particular country, you do not need to provide a police certificate for that country.

The certificate must have been issued no more than three months prior to submitting your application. If the original certificate is not in English or French, then you will need to submit both the certificate and the original copy of the translation prepared by an accredited translator."