+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police certificates for Indians living in the US

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Looking for some guidance on police certificate for Indians who have or are currently living in the US and applying for express entry.

From my understanding of the express entry, if I haven't lived for more than 6 months at a time in India for the last ten years then I do not need a police certificate from India, is that right?

If my understanding is correct I have two questions :

How exactly do they count the ten years, so for example in my case I will be applying in June/July of 2019. I moved to the US starting July of 2009 and have lived here ever since. Visited India 3/4 times but for 1 month max at a time. Counting back ten years from time of application (June/July 2019) I do not meet the 6 month bar. But if they consider all of 2009 then I do meet this criteria (since I spent the first 6 months of 2009 in India). So not sure how they count the ten years and if I need a certificate from India as well?

For US police verification the FBI verification is what is needed right? Or anything else? And how long does that typically take these days?

Many thanks!