+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate update?

spanishnick

Star Member
Jul 29, 2016
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi,

I am applying for PR for the second time, after having been rejected due to missing information. The Police Certificates should still be valid, as they are less than 4 months old. However, in the meantime, I have spent 5 days in one of the countries I got the PC for my initial submission. Does that mean that I need to get a new one for this country?

I will also be staying a couple of weeks in another country from which I got a PC from earlier. Do I also need to update it?

Thanks!

chente

Mar 1, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I am applying for PR for the second time, after having been rejected due to missing information. The Police Certificates should still be valid, as they are less than 4 months old. However, in the meantime, I have spent 5 days in one of the countries I got the PC for my initial submission. Does that mean that I need to get a new one for this country?

I will also be staying a couple of weeks in another country from which I got a PC from earlier. Do I also need to update it?

Thanks!
Yes you need. If these are countries where you lived before, the PCC must be issued after the last departure, and they do not expire. But if you enter that countries again, need a new one. For the current residency country no need if is still not 6 month old.

I would submit the application before go to that country a couple of weeks, then you can use the old one.

By the way, nice to see other spanish here :)

What information was missing in your old application?

Saludos!

spanishnick

Star Member
Jul 29, 2016
Canada
NOC Code......
Thanks Chente!

I am currently in Canada, on a tourist visa. I will be going back home to my permanent residency address in France, but will be landing in Switzerland, where I used to live. So I guess I definitely need to submit a new Swiss Criminal Record (as I have lived there for more than 2 years), even if I am only in Switzerland for less than 1 hour..

I will only be staying in France for 2 weeks, before returning to Canada. I am hoping to submit my application when I am in France. As such, as you've suggested, I would not need to submit a new French Criminal Records as my current one is only 4 months old. But after submitting my application, I will leave France - does that mean I would need to submit a new French Criminal Records to CIC (at the same time as I am updating my residency history)?

Muchas gracias!

PS - missing diplomas when submitting my WES accreditation.

Rich03

Star Member
Dec 12, 2016
Yes you need. If these are countries where you lived before, the PCC must be issued after the last departure, and they do not expire. But if you enter that countries again, need a new one. For the current residency country no need if is still not 6 month old.

I would submit the application before go to that country a couple of weeks, then you can use the old one.

Saludos!
Surely you only need a new PCC IF you have lived in that country again for 6 months or more? Are you saying if you have a PCC which you received last month for a country you lived in say 5 years ago is NOT valid if you spend say 1 day there visiting after the PCC was issued? ... otherwise this would be a nightmare for those who lived in the USA and then visited after the PCC was issued.. the FBI process is a killer!

EDIT:

see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp

"have lived there in the past, the police certificate must be issued after you last lived in that country or territory"

Last edited:

spanishnick

Star Member
Jul 29, 2016
Canada
NOC Code......
Thanks Rich03. Just to clarify, even though it says:

"if you visited, worked or lived in a country for two months, left for a few years, then returned for four months, that counts as spending six months there. In this case, you would need a certificate"

Because I have gone back to the UK and Switzerland as a tourist or for work, I wouldn't need to update my PCC. Is that correct?

How about France? This is the country of my permanent residence, though I am currently in Canada, as a tourist, where I spend most of my time within the legal parameters. I would only spend two weeks in France - would I need to update my PCC? If I don't, that is because I would consider that I am no longer living in France. But how can I say I am living in Canada if I am a tourist? Would it if be safer to wait until I leave France again to ask for a new PCC and submit it from Canada? Or is it safe to submit it when I am in France without updating my PCC, as I would say that my residence is currently in Canada?

Thank you for your help!

spanishnick

Star Member
Jul 29, 2016
Canada
NOC Code......
PS - I have heard of people not going back to countries they have lived until they have submitted their application to avoid updating their PCC..

iamxty

Champion Member
Mar 13, 2017
Singapore
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
09-07-2017
Nomination.....
01-08-2017
AOR Received.
07-09-2017
File Transfer...
04-11-2017
Passport Req..
08-03-2018
Thanks Chente!

I am currently in Canada, on a tourist visa. I will be going back home to my permanent residency address in France, but will be landing in Switzerland, where I used to live. So I guess I definitely need to submit a new Swiss Criminal Record (as I have lived there for more than 2 years), even if I am only in Switzerland for less than 1 hour..

I will only be staying in France for 2 weeks, before returning to Canada. I am hoping to submit my application when I am in France. As such, as you've suggested, I would not need to submit a new French Criminal Records as my current one is only 4 months old. But after submitting my application, I will leave France - does that mean I would need to submit a new French Criminal Records to CIC (at the same time as I am updating my residency history)?

Muchas gracias!

PCC from current residence is valid for 6 months. I suggest you submit when you are in France. After eAPR, you can go anywhere and you don't need to update CIC, unless they ask you for an updated travel history, which is unlikely. Good luck.

Rich03

Star Member
Dec 12, 2016
Thanks Rich03. Just to clarify, even though it says:

"if you visited, worked or lived in a country for two months, left for a few years, then returned for four months, that counts as spending six months there. In this case, you would need a certificate"

Because I have gone back to the UK and Switzerland as a tourist or for work, I wouldn't need to update my PCC. Is that correct?

How about France? This is the country of my permanent residence, though I am currently in Canada, as a tourist, where I spend most of my time within the legal parameters. I would only spend two weeks in France - would I need to update my PCC? If I don't, that is because I would consider that I am no longer living in France. But how can I say I am living in Canada if I am a tourist? Would it if be safer to wait until I leave France again to ask for a new PCC and submit it from Canada? Or is it safe to submit it when I am in France without updating my PCC, as I would say that my residence is currently in Canada?

Thank you for your help!
If you been in a country that counts up to spending 6 months there, then yes you need a PCC as per CIC's website for that time period.

If you lived in the UK, left and got a PCC after that, but subsequently visited for only 2 months after the PCC was issued, you still do not need a new PCC. If you went back again to the UK for 4 months, then yes you will need a new PCC as this would be a total of 6 months.

Your permanent residence is France, not Canada. Therefore your you need to provide a PCC valid within the last 6 months when you submit to CIC.

This is my understanding of it.

chente

Mar 1, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Chente!

Muchas gracias!

Once you submit the applicationa and get AOR, you can move freely, no need to submit more PCC!

Cin

Sep 24, 2017
Fir

Saludos![/QUOTE
Once you submit the applicationa and get AOR, you can move freely, no need to submit more PCC!
For instance if someone got a police report in february 2016from a country he is no longer living in( left in december 2015 person worked in that country for 18 months) and the following year - june 2016 the person went there on vacation for one month and returns , does he need another pcc ?