+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate requirements unclear - CEC Express Entry

markusfranz

Feb 16, 2023
Hi everyone!

I've applied for PR through CEC Express Entry. I received my AOR on August 4th. Today, I received message on my IRCC profile that my application is incomplete and that application is cancelled. The reason from IRCC states:

The Police certificate from Austria was issued prior to your last residence in that country. The Police certificate was issued on 2020/01/15. Your last residence in this country was 2020/03/12.

The details provided in my application regarding residence were as follows:
From 1993 - 2018: Residence in Austria
From 2018 - 11/2019: Residence in England
From 11/2019 - 03/2020: Residence in Austria
From 03/2020 - current: Residence in Canada

On IRCC website states the following regarding police certificates for Express Entry applicants:

Police certificates for a country you do not live in:
the police certificate must be issued after the last time you stayed there for 6 months or more in a row.
Some countries put expiry dates on their police certificates. If you have a police certificate that expired, include it. We’ll accept it if:

• it was issued after the last time you stayed there for 6 months or more in a row
  • it is not for the country where you currently live
Source:https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence/police-certificates.html

From what I can understand is that I wouldn't even have to provide a police certificate after my last residence but after the last time I had residence for 6 months or more in a row if I understand correctly. Also why wouldn't IRCC just ask for an updated police certiciate?!

Does anyone have any advise on what I can do other than resubmitting my profile to the pool?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you and good luck everyone!

Last edited:

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
This reason is pretty clear, why was the police certificate issued before you left the country? There is 2 months unaccounted for in your police record. The obvious solution is to request a new police record that would clearly include your total time in the country. Additionally, application guidelines specifically says no gaps in your history.....you have a 2 months gap.

markusfranz

Feb 16, 2023
I submitted a request for reconsideration in October and my application was reopened today! So for anyone in a similar situation, it is definetely worth a shot!!!