+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police certificate requested

Gororo

Apr 8, 2017
Hello VIP's Thanks in advance for the view and any experienced thoughts you might offer:

We received a request for documents from IRCC after applying June 2016 permanent residence for a spouse INLAND application. My wife is American.

"Required submission of "police certificate(s) from the country where you have spent most of your adult life since 18 years of age"
To obtain the correct police certificate visit www>cic>gc>ca>information>security>police_certificate "

This link gives the reference to US American Citizens to submit Identity History Summary Request (issued by the Federal Bureau of Investigations – FBI). We had already gone through this application process, and My wife completed and received her March 12, 2016 FBI security clearance request, which we included in our June permanent residence application.

Question: Why do you think IRCC processing center in Vegreville is asking for this document again?

We submitted the FBI document, with the cover letter that mentions that she has been in Canada since she landed in June 2016.

Question: Does this FBI document suffice for our police certificate security clearance? and
Do you think we are close to finalizing the PR approved and fully processed, finally?

Thanks again for the views, and comments.

J. Pizzle

Mar 1, 2015
Howdy!

I'm an American who just applied for PR. The online update says no background check is required, so I think that means what I submitted was acceptable. I submitted a criminal background check obtained from the state where I lived before coming to Canada. It was not FBI. I don't know for sure, but since the FBI is a federal agency, they may not care about the things states care about. Even major crimes like homicide are handled by the states, not the federal government. The FBI is concerned with relatively few crimes, overall. If I were you, I'd go ahead and see what it takes to order a criminal background check from the state(s) your wife lived in. I needed an FBI-format standard fingerprint card and $20. The state sent me my report promptly.

Good luck!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
J. Pizzle said:
Howdy!

I'm an American who just applied for PR. The online update says no background check is required, so I think that means what I submitted was acceptable. I submitted a criminal background check obtained from the state where I lived before coming to Canada. It was not FBI. I don't know for sure, but since the FBI is a federal agency, they may not care about the things states care about. Even major crimes like homicide are handled by the states, not the federal government. The FBI is concerned with relatively few crimes, overall. If I were you, I'd go ahead and see what it takes to order a criminal background check from the state(s) your wife lived in. I needed an FBI-format standard fingerprint card and $20. The state sent me my report promptly.

Good luck!
Under which program did you apply for PR?

For Spousal Sponsorship, the FBI IHSR letter (rap sheet) IS a requirement, NOT state level PCC letters.

If you applied through the Family Class (Spouse or Partner sponsorship), be prepared to order your FBI IHSR...sooner or later.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Gororo said:

"Required submission of "police certificate(s) from the country where you have spent most of your adult life since 18 years of age"
To obtain the correct police certificate visit www>cic>gc>ca>information>security>police_certificate "

This link gives the reference to US American Citizens to submit Identity History Summary Request (issued by the Federal Bureau of Investigations – FBI). We had already gone through this application process, and My wife completed and received her March 12, 2016 FBI security clearance request, which we included in our June permanent residence application.

Question: Why do you think IRCC processing center in Vegreville is asking for this document again?

Likely, because the FBI cert is now more than one year old, and your wife could have potentially travelled back to the USA.

We submitted the FBI document, with the cover letter that mentions that she has been in Canada since she landed in June 2016.

Possibly, the unnecessary cover letter/explanation caused the VO to miss the PCC...

You could always inquire if they missed it, but suggest just reapplying for the FBI cert (or at least, doing that first so you don't lose any more time).

Gororo

Apr 8, 2017
Thanks for your replies! Needless to say its a struggle trying to predict what the immigration agent needs when they assess our application for family / spousal sponsorship for permanent residence. We are anxious thinking about more delays.

They already have have the original FBI "identity history summary" FBI (IHSR) "wrap sheet" submitted with our paper application.
You do raise a good point considering it was sent to us March,2016... and possible expiry of this document. We did not consider that it might be TOO EARLY, but we did emphasize on our cover letter that since my wife landed in Canada, June 2016 this has been her primary residence, and she has not returned to the US since. We did not anticipate the timeline for the security requests / FBI security clearance / and processing time for the permanent residence, and no one told us what order to do these things.

I hope that the March 2016 FBI IHSR document will suffice, and the CIC have all they need to give us approval.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Gororo said:
I hope that the March 2016 FBI IHSR document will suffice, and the CIC have all they need to give us approval.
It is not clear what your intentions are. But if you simply ignore this request from IRCC, chances are very high that your application will be refused.

Strongly recommend that she applies for the new FBI cert, and that you provide proof of this before the deadline (or along with your inquiry about the old PCC).

Gororo

Apr 8, 2017
THANKS so much for your reply. Today I called the IRCC customer service hotline to try to get a little more insight. They transferred me to an agent that works with processing inland permanent residence and was more familiar with the process. I told them the whole story and they asked me exactly what the letter said. I read him the letter, and the immigration agent was of the opinion that the FBI security clearance (identity history summary check) did not have to be done twice.

She referred to the letter as a common one that is sent as a reminder that if it has not been done already, then it needs to be completed and submitted before the application is completely processed. She also stressed a few lines in that letter ("if you have already submitted the police certificate as noted above, please disregard.")

I will be ready to help direct my wife go through another painstaking process, if we receive the letter informing us that this FBI IHSC document will not suffice.

Thanks again, have a great day

Gororo

Apr 8, 2017
:) :D ;D

just received word that the PR application has completed processing! our letter for spousal inland application for permanent residence just came, and states that we just wait for CIC - EDMONTON to call us for an appointment.

I am told this is a verification of documents, and finalization of the process. This will be our official landing date! for us this was under a one-year process, originally we started paper applications July 2016. We just had to ensure we had our medical completed, and security check from the FBI for United States citizens all confirmed.

I'm glad there is finish-line in sight! Thanks to all contributers.