+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police certificate from Mexico taking longer than 60 days...extension?

Verlin

Jun 10, 2021
I applied for PR (CEC inland) in August and have completed or passed all the things necessary for PR except one. My spouse needs a police certificate from Mexico. IRCC's instructions said to wait until they send you a request and then to send information to the Canadian embassy in Mexico, where they will submit a request for background check on your behalf.

Within a couple of days we sent the necessary material and confirmed with the embassy a week later that they had received it and sent a request to Mexican authorities. The embassy said that it usually takes 60-75 days to get the clearance back, but from reading these forums it seems that people have been waiting for long (several) months.

IRCC only gives you 60 days to submit the documents, and that runs out in a few days. 2 weeks ago I sent in an webform requesting an extension on the deadline and included the proof that we had followed instructions and received confirmation from the Canadian embassy. I only received a generic response about delays and the deadline in my PR portal is still the same. Of course I can't reach the IRCC on the phone either.

Has anyone else had this happen and what will happen if you miss the deadline for a spouse's police certificate, despite having asked for an extension well ahead of time and provided proof of compliance?

Reactions: fernandaontario

fernandaontario

Star Member
Oct 20, 2021
Barrie
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
Hi! I went through the same process as you with the police certificate but I don’t remember having to send anything else after my package was sent to Mexico with all the requirements asked on the website… I would love to help though if you have any questions.

fernandaontario

Star Member
Oct 20, 2021
Barrie
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
Hi! I went through the same process as you with the police certificate but I don’t remember having to send anything else after my package was sent to Mexico with all the requirements asked on the website… I would love to help though if you have any questions.
They ask for the following:
1)Two sets of original fingerprints that include the following
2)Three passport-size (4.5 cm × 3.5 cm) photographs of your front profile
3)Three passport-size (4.5 cm × 3.5 cm) photographs of your right profile
4)One clear, legible copy of your passport bio page (with your picture and full name).
5)The following information about your file:
your file number
the name of the visa office, Canadian embassy or consulate or case processing centre where your file is being processed
your full name and date of birth

Are those the documents you sent to the embassy of canada in Mexico?
Because if they are (as a Mexican living outside of Mexico) that’s all you need to do, the police certificate will be sent directly to IRCC.
You can find the following note on the website as well:

You don’t need to send any other documents or provide any payments.
You won’t receive the original police certificate. The certificate will be sent to us, and the results will be uploaded directly in our system.

HOPE THAT HELPS!

Verlin

Jun 10, 2021

They ask for the following:
1)Two sets of original fingerprints that include the following
2)Three passport-size (4.5 cm × 3.5 cm) photographs of your front profile
3)Three passport-size (4.5 cm × 3.5 cm) photographs of your right profile
4)One clear, legible copy of your passport bio page (with your picture and full name).
5)The following information about your file:
your file number
the name of the visa office, Canadian embassy or consulate or case processing centre where your file is being processed

Are those the documents you sent to the embassy of canada in Mexico?
Because if they are (as a Mexican living outside of Mexico) that’s all you need to do, the police certificate will be sent directly to IRCC.
You can find the following note on the website as well:

You don’t need to send any other documents or provide any payments.
You won’t receive the original police certificate. The certificate will be sent to us, and the results will be uploaded directly in our system.

HOPE THAT HELPS!
Hi! Yes, those were the things we sent to the Embassy of Canada in Mexico and they confirmed that they had received them and sent them to the Mexican authorities. I'm just worried that because 60 days isn't enough to get the results back, the will reject my entire application. I asked IRCC for an extension but got no response.

Do you remember how long it took them to get the results back and upload them into the system? Did you have to ask for an extension?

I've read elsewhere on this forum that it was taking months to get the results back.

fernandaontario

Star Member
Oct 20, 2021
Barrie
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
As far as I understand, those 60 days they gave you was to sent your documents to the Embassy not to get the police certificate back (which you wont even see it, it gets sent to IRCC directly). If the Embassy already confirmed they received the documents, thats everything from your end to get done. I don't remember how long it took to get the results back since I never got an update on it, just on my medical exam. I can tell you my timeline though if it helps:

Email asking for biometrics: February 5th
Email with medical instructions: February 11, 2021
Got biometrics and medical exam done on February 15, 2021
Email asking for police certificate: February 17, 2021 (due on April 21, 2021)
Got update on the website indicating that the medical results have been received: February 25, 2021
Sent all documents for police certificate to the Embassy of Canada in Mexico: March 24, 2021
Email saying "It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent
residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class": April 5, 2021
Email with portal credentials: September 12, 2021
ECoPr: September 15, 2021

As you can see, I never got a confirmation about the police certificate, they just keep sending emails asking for more things to get done until I got the application approved. If they haven't received it, you would have sent you a new email reminding you to send it. I know thats what happened to a friend of mine, she never got noticed by her lawyer about the police certificate until a 2nd email was sent.

Verlin

Jun 10, 2021
As far as I understand, those 60 days they gave you was to sent your documents to the Embassy not to get the police certificate back (which you wont even see it, it gets sent to IRCC directly). If the Embassy already confirmed they received the documents, thats everything from your end to get done. I don't remember how long it took to get the results back since I never got an update on it, just on my medical exam. I can tell you my timeline though if it helps:

Email asking for biometrics: February 5th
Email with medical instructions: February 11, 2021
Got biometrics and medical exam done on February 15, 2021
Email asking for police certificate: February 17, 2021 (due on April 21, 2021)
Got update on the website indicating that the medical results have been received: February 25, 2021
Sent all documents for police certificate to the Embassy of Canada in Mexico: March 24, 2021
Email saying "It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent
residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class": April 5, 2021
Email with portal credentials: September 12, 2021
ECoPr: September 15, 2021

As you can see, I never got a confirmation about the police certificate, they just keep sending emails asking for more things to get done until I got the application approved. If they haven't received it, you would have sent you a new email reminding you to send it. I know thats what happened to a friend of mine, she never got noticed by her lawyer about the police certificate until a 2nd email was sent.
Hmm interesting. So it seems that they returned your police certificate really quickly or like, you said, they just didn't send you anything else because the Embassay had already received it. Well I hope that works for us as well! We've done what was asked of us, and it's in the hands of the Embassy now. Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it...I feel less panicked now! :)

fernandaontario

Star Member
Oct 20, 2021
Barrie
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
Hmm interesting. So it seems that they returned your police certificate really quickly or like, you said, they just didn't send you anything else because the Embassy had already received it. Well I hope that works for us as well! We've done what was asked of us, and it's in the hands of the Embassy now. Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it...I feel less panicked now! :)
You're welcome! Let me know if you need any more help. It seems like you'll be receiving the email with the confirmation of eligibility requirements to apply for PR very soon. They will never denied the application right away, they will just send an email reminding you so it will make you application process longer but that's all.
By the way, I don't know if you know this already or if it might be useful for your spouse but when I received the email I just mentioned, I was able to apply for OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan)

Verlin

Jun 10, 2021
You're welcome! Let me know if you need any more help. It seems like you'll be receiving the email with the confirmation of eligibility requirements to apply for PR very soon. They will never denied the application right away, they will just send an email reminding you so it will make you application process longer but that's all.
By the way, I don't know if you know this already or if it might be useful for your spouse but when I received the email I just mentioned, I was able to apply for OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan)
Oh wait, so I'll get an email confirming that I am eligible to apply for PR even though this is part of the application process (I applied in August)? Is it like a confirmation that I'm ACTUALLY eligible because I passed all the checks (medical, biometrics, police, etc.)?

It would be very useful for my spouse to be able to get a Provincial Health Care card with that letter though!

fernandaontario

Star Member
Oct 20, 2021
Barrie
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
Oh wait, so I'll get an email confirming that I am eligible to apply for PR even though this is part of the application process (I applied in August)? Is it like a confirmation that I'm ACTUALLY eligible because I passed all the checks (medical, biometrics, police, etc.)?

It would be very useful for my spouse to be able to get a Provincial Health Care card with that letter though!
EXACTLY. And also at this time, your spouse could apply for a work permit if they haven't already.
I'd recommend checking your province's requirements to apply for Health care for Applicants for permanent residence, in my case they asked me for that letter and for my work permit. (I applied for PR under spouse sponsorship at the same time as my work permit and got approved on December 2020)

These are the documents I had to proof:
  • Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) letter (IRCC used to be called Citizenship and Immigration Canada, or CIC). The letter must:
    • be on IRCC letterhead, addressed to you as applicant
    • state IRCC has confirmed you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada and you have not yet been denied.
  • IRCC document (e.g. work permit, visitor record, temporary resident permit or study permit), with a note confirming all three of the following. You have:
    1. applied for permanent residence
    2. met the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence
    3. have not been denied

Verlin

Jun 10, 2021
EXACTLY. And also at this time, your spouse could apply for a work permit if they haven't already.
I'd recommend checking your province's requirements to apply for Health care for Applicants for permanent residence, in my case they asked me for that letter and for my work permit. (I applied for PR under spouse sponsorship at the same time as my work permit and got approved on December 2020)

These are the documents I had to proof:
  • Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) letter (IRCC used to be called Citizenship and Immigration Canada, or CIC). The letter must:
    • be on IRCC letterhead, addressed to you as applicant
    • state IRCC has confirmed you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada and you have not yet been denied.
  • IRCC document (e.g. work permit, visitor record, temporary resident permit or study permit), with a note confirming all three of the following. You have:
    1. applied for permanent residence
    2. met the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence
    3. have not been denied
Wow, that would be great! A work permit for my spouse would make things easier as well. Thanks again for the info, I really appreciate it!

Reactions: fernandaontario

fernandaontario

Star Member
Oct 20, 2021
Barrie
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
Wow, that would be great! A work permit for my spouse would make things easier as well. Thanks again for the info, I really appreciate it!
No problem at all, I’m glad I can help! Let me know if you have any more questions in the future :)

Bigfish04

Mar 7, 2022
Hello, is it possible for someone in Mexico to help me process my police certificate as I am Mexican and I’m currently living in Canada. I applied for the spousal sponsorship. The Canadian embassy in Mexico returned my documents saying I had facial hair in the passport pictures after 3 months

fernando_acr

Feb 7, 2020
Hello, is it possible for someone in Mexico to help me process my police certificate as I am Mexican and I’m currently living in Canada. I applied for the spousal sponsorship. The Canadian embassy in Mexico returned my documents saying I had facial hair in the passport pictures after 3 months
Hi, did you have a moustache or beard in your pictures?

Nov 28, 2023
Hiii! Im kinda dealing with the same but i have a question what document did you send to proof this:
The following information about your file:
your file number

Thank youu!