CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/04/2017
AOR Received.
05/05/2017
Hi there,

I recently submitted a application to CPC-M for Inland Canada for Common Law Sponsorship. I am currently in Canada on a Open Work Permit from IEC from the UK.

Before coming to Canada on my Open Work Permit in July 2015, I applied for a UK Police Certificate which I received in April 2015.

I included the 2015 Police Certificate with my Sponsorship Application however I am wondering that because people seem to be receiving a automated letter after AIP regarding their Police Certificate whether I will need to submit a brand new and updated UK Police Certificate and I am also wondering if I need to submit a Canadian Police Certificate and would that need to be from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or can it be from the Police in your Province such as Royal Newfoundland Constabulary in my case or does it have to be both Police Forces.

Dee Cee 25

Star Member
Aug 10, 2014
Visa Office......
CEM
App. Filed.......
16-Mar-2017
Doc's Request.
26-Mar-2017 (Sched A thru Web Form 7-Apr-2017)
AOR Received.
25-Mar-2017 (SA 31-Mar-2017)
File Transfer...
08-May-2017
Med's Request
11-Apr-2017
Med's Done....
15-Apr-2017 (Passed 19-Apr-2017)
lukeaidan97 said:
Hi there,

I recently submitted a application to CPC-M for Inland Canada for Common Law Sponsorship. I am currently in Canada on a Open Work Permit from IEC from the UK.

Before coming to Canada on my Open Work Permit in July 2015, I applied for a UK Police Certificate which I received in April 2015.

I included the 2015 Police Certificate with my Sponsorship Application however I am wondering that because people seem to be receiving a automated letter after AIP regarding their Police Certificate whether I will need to submit a brand new and updated UK Police Certificate and I am also wondering if I need to submit a Canadian Police Certificate and would that need to be from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or can it be from the Police in your Province such as Royal Newfoundland Constabulary in my case or does it have to be both Police Forces.
When was the last time you visited UK? is it more than 6 months? If you never visited UK recently for more than 6 months, then you don't need to get a new one.

From my understanding, when you submit a finger print for Canadian PCC from any police office it would be valid Canada wide. Please someone correct me if I am wrong. :)

Electronic Finger print:
http://www.rcmp.gc.ca/en/who-can-conduct-criminal-record-check#ac

RCMP Criminal Record Check:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/criminal-record-and-vulnerable-sector-checks

lukeaidan97

Feb 26, 2017
Newfoundland, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/04/2017
AOR Received.
05/05/2017
The last time I visited the UK was in May 2016 for two weeks so I'm not sure if I need to get one or not.

Ah okay, so for the Police Certificate for in Canada I got to the RCMP Police Station?

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
Your UK police certificate was issued before you left the UK, and you have been back since. You should need a new police certificate (as you could have committed crimes since it was issued). IRCC only permit certificates older than six months if they were issued since you were last in the country (so must still be up to date).

IRCC do their own RCMP check, they'll ask for your fingerprints if they can't clear you based on what they turn up (normally means a known Canadian criminal with same/similar name).

lukeaidan97

Feb 26, 2017
Newfoundland, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/04/2017
AOR Received.
05/05/2017
Okay perfect sounds good, so I will apply for a Police Certificate from the UK when requested from IRCC.

I saw on the RCMP website I can apply for a Code of Conduct Certificate but if I do it at a detachment facility it can take up to 4 weeks to receive it.

Do I need to go and get the RCMP one myself and submit the Canadian one with my UK one or is that something IRCC do on their own?

They wouldn't send my application back if I included a Police Certificate from the UK which they consider not to be up to date? They'll just request new one right?

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
lukeaidan97 said:
Okay perfect sounds good, so I will apply for a Police Certificate from the UK when requested from IRCC.

I saw on the RCMP website I can apply for a Code of Conduct Certificate but if I do it at a detachment facility it can take up to 4 weeks to receive it.

Do I need to go and get the RCMP one myself and submit the Canadian one with my UK one or is that something IRCC do on their own?

They wouldn't send my application back if I included a Police Certificate from the UK which they consider not to be up to date? They'll just request new one right?
As I said. IRCC do their own RCMP checks, so you only need to do something for a Canadian check if it's explicitly asked for because they couldn't clear you themselves.

Honestly, the UK one is unclear. You haven't submitted a valid check according to their rules. They might return your application, they might request a new one, they might not notice (although that's fairly unlikely, since it will have the April issue date on it, and your address history will show only in Canada from July).

lukeaidan97

Feb 26, 2017
Newfoundland, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/04/2017
AOR Received.
05/05/2017
I doubt they'd return the application just because it's not "valid" from what I've heard IRCC send out an automated letter to everyone requesting Police Certificates if it's not been included with the application, as for the Common Law Sponsorship it is not required that I submit my certificate with my application as they request it at a later date. So surely instead of returning my application they would just send a letter requesting a Police Certificate in which I can just submit a brand new one?

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
Oh, I don't know what paperwork's needed at what stage in the new system. The fact you sent it with in the first place implied that it was needed then, like it used to be. They used to be perfectly willing to return packs if there was anything missing.

In that case yeah, probably just going to need to get a new one later. Probably best do it sooner so you've got time for the £45 version, rather than rushing and needing the £80 express one.

lukeaidan97

Feb 26, 2017
Newfoundland, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/04/2017
AOR Received.
05/05/2017
Yeah it states online that you can chose to include them with your application or submit when they request them. From what I've heard some people have submitted them and still got a letter asking for them if they didn't initially send them in the first place so I will probably just submit a new one if that is the case. Yeah £80 is a lot of money for a police certificate, I will definitely apply for one soon