+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PNP-Provincial Nominee Program or CEC-Canadian Experience Class?

onono

Jun 14, 2009
I have already been working for 4 months since February. If I would like to apply for Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP) INTERNATIONAL STREAM in August, I have to keep myself be working with my current employer until I become permanent resident. Honestly, personally, I think that really sucks.

Now, there is a very well-paid job waiting for me. I do not want to lose this opportunity, but also that 4 months. If I change my job, I will be able to apply for CEC in February of next year. I am sure that processing time.

I really do not know which way is better? Keep doing my current job, apply for MPNP or change to a new job, apply for CEC? Which way is faster? Is there any better way rather than this two?

Thanks a lot.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can also apply for FSW category 3 if you have been one year in Canada already and can make 67 points. That is also not dependent on your employer. Are you a graduate on a post-grad work permit?

You have to basically ask the program in Manitoba what their processing time is like. You can see some at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/04-provincial.asp

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
onono said:
I have already been working for 4 months since February. If I would like to apply for Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP) INTERNATIONAL STREAM in August, I have to keep myself be working with my current employer until I become permanent resident. Honestly, personally, I think that really sucks.

Now, there is a very well-paid job waiting for me. I do not want to lose this opportunity, but also that 4 months. If I change my job, I will be able to apply for CEC in February of next year. I am sure that processing time.

I really do not know which way is better? Keep doing my current job, apply for MPNP or change to a new job, apply for CEC? Which way is faster? Is there any better way rather than this two?

Thanks a lot.

if you are sure that you will be eligible for the CEC category, my opinion is to wait for the next february and apply under that category.
i mean by (sure):that you are aware of your NOC code level whether
it falls under level A or B or 0 only, and you have studied for at least 16 months (2 academic years). and you have after all of that enough time in your post graduation work permit to stay in canada legally while your application is being processed in buffalo.
the reason of my advice is to avoid the numerous number of supporting documents needed if you apply under the FSW or MPN because as you know that you will be assessed against the minimum requirments and the points system under the FSW program and under the points system too along with the provincial program for manitoba province which will need too much details and supporting documents and too much headache. in addition to the available funds that you will have to prove in both cases FSW and MPNP if you don't have a job offer with a positive labour market opinion .......etc as i said too much headache.

in the CEC you will be assessed against your education and the one year experience (both of them from within canada) as a graduate student along with your ability in english or french that is it. and from what i see in trackitt.com, people who apply under the CEC get their visas stamped on passports within three months from the date of applying to Buffalo.(if everything is fine)

onono

Jun 14, 2009
THANK YOU FOLKS.

As what I heard, MPNP processing time is mostly like 3-6 months but sometimes it takes either very short (1 month) or very long (10 months). Manitoba Immigration told me that normally it would take 3-6 months. The only issue is that KEEP WORKING in the current job. If I change it, all right, start over again.

I did graduate from a 28 months program of an authorized college. I do not know how long the CEC processing time will take. Also, I do not know how long the federal part will take if I am nominated by Manitoba Immigration. That is why I am not sure which one takes shorter time for me in my case.

I know about MPNP pretty well. CEC is pretty new for me. I think I need to take IELTS for CEC, right? The NOC category is kind of confused for me. I do not know what score I need for the CEC. The MPNP supporting documents are all right for me. All that I care is the PROCESSING TIME. If basically, MPNP and CEC are pretty much the same processing time. I will definitely change my job. If not, well, I will reconsider everything.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you need IELTS for CEC and the score you have to get depends on your NOC. If your job is 0 or A level, you need a higher score than if it's B. This is somewhat explained in the guide at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5609E.PDF If you don't know if you are 0, A or B, you can find out from the NOC code. If your NOC code starts with 0, it's a 0 level job. If it does not start with 0, then look at the 2nd digit. If the 2nd digit is 1, then it's A level. If the 2nd digit is 2 or 3, then it's B level. If you don't know your NOC code, look for it at http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/Welcome.aspx

The processing times for CEC are not on the CIC website but looking at trackitt, it looks like people are getting approved in 4-5 months.

The federal part of PNP immigration processing times are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/04-provincial.asp

holysole

Jul 17, 2009
Hi all,

This is my first post in this forum. I need help deciding the best category to apply in from the point of view of quick processing.

Here are my "qualifications":

(1) Canadian (Ontario) Master's degree (2 yrs) in Computer Engineering completed August 2008.
(2) Full-time job (NOC level A) from January 2009 to present (in Ontario).
(3) Technical Trainee (worked 9AM to 5PM, earned zilch) from September to December 2008.
(4) Passport expires June 2010.

My doubts (constraints) essentially are:

(a) With regards to (3) above: will the position qualify toward 4 months of work experience? If yes, I can apply under CEC in September 2009.

(b) I read online that PNP requires the passport to be valid for 2 years following the application date. Owing to (4), I can't apply under PNP until I renew the passport. In addition, it costs more (by $500) and I need information from the employer; I want to avoid that, if possible.

As I see it, my options are to apply under:

1 ---> CEC in Sept '09
2 ---> CEC in Jan '10
3 ---> PNP after passport renewal.
4 ---> other category!

Please advise on the best choice in this scenario.

Thanks! :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You could apply under FSW category 3 (people who've been in Canada 12 or more months) right now if you can make 67 points and have at least 1 year continuous work experience in any skilled job, even if that was before you came to Canada. You can probably see at trackitt.com how fast FSW is compared to CEC etc.

Whether your technical trainee position counts as work experience for CEC, I would think not. It has to be a skilled position and I doubt that anything with trainee at the end would be considered a skilled position under NOC but if it was, then you are good to go in September.

mcgyver

Apr 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-05-2014
Nomination.....
11-06-2014
AOR Received.
11-08-2014
File Transfer...
23-06-2014
Med's Request
16-04-2015
Med's Done....
29-04-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-06-2015 Decision Made: 30-06-2015 PP Submitted...: 1-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
10-07-2015 PP Returned....: 11-08-2015
LANDED..........
01-10-2015
Hi Onono,

Would you do me a favour, please? I have always wondered how people from abroad convince Canadian employers to decide on hiring them and then make them go through the long process of hiring them.

Please tell me the magical secret.

How is it possible in general? How did you manage to get a job in Canada, being a foreigner?

-mcgyver

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Onono went to college in Canada. When you go to college, you make connections, you are already in the country, you can get a post-grad open work permit etc. It's a bit easier.

As for the people who are really outside Canada and trying to apply, sometimes they get lucky. If you read all the job ads, apply for every job, try to get in touch with employers directly through email or phone and have a chat to ensure they will look at your CV and not toss it in the bin right away, you have at least a chance. Depending on if there is a shortage in your field in Canada and if you are lucky to find the right employer at the right time, it could work out. For some people it has. Some people also may have family or friends in Canada who can help network some jobs for them.

holysole

Jul 17, 2009
Thanks for the answer Leon!

I have two follow up questions:

1 ---> Who can confirm whether a Technical Trainee work experience is accepted or not?

2 ---> Does Freelance work qualify as Canadian work experience?

Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. You need to find a NOC code for it. If you find a NOC code for it that is skill level 0, A or B, you can probably count it. It will depend on the immigration officer too.

2. You can call CIC and ask. The instructions for CEC are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/graduates.asp but it doesn't give a lot of information.

onono

Jun 14, 2009
Hi, mcgyver

Yeah. Leon gave us a great answer. I think there is no secret on seeking jobs. Everybody has the same ways to look for jobs. Get the information from newspaper, yellowpage, internet and friends. Email, mail, phone and walk-in to the employers. There is always a chance if you try and you are luck. It also depends on your skills and somethings else related.

Good luck.