+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PNP Masters Stream - Status: Single / Common Law?

gypsy.danger

Jul 29, 2014
Hi All,

Hopefully I can get some advice from experts here. I am international student with a 3-year post-graduate work permit(Permit expires in 2017). I am three months into a job in Ontario as well. I currently live with my gf who also has her 3 year post-graduate work permit (permit expires in 2016) and she is 1 year into her job. Since 2013 Feb, we lived in an apartment together (however only my name is on the lease). However last month, we moved to a new apartment and both our names are on the lease. At this point, both of us are eligible for the pilot program but we are confused about common law status. On one hand, we are in a relationship but we don't want the "common law" associated issues to affect our chances of getting PR. But we don't have enough documentation to prove that we are common law (Our shared residential lease is just 1 month old now), we havent joined our bank accounts yet. On the other hand, we want to know if we can apply individually as there is not enough documentation to prove that we are common law. But we are concerned if they do a deeper dive - they would think we are misrepresenting facts. Any advice on what would be the best way to proceed?

Thanks again,
Arun

tee1

Star Member
Oct 20, 2013
You're common law so you have to apply as common law. Send as much supporting evidence as you can, the new lease, letter from friends and family attesting that you are in a relationship, photos from trips away, joint holiday bookings etc etc. From your old address and your current one send bills, driving licenses, tax returns etc that shows the address you have both been living at. Be honest, send all you can and go from there.

karenv

Jul 8, 2014
Personally, I think you can apply as single. You're just boyfriend and girlfriend living together. You don't have commitments as common-law, such as sharing a bank statement or having a child. Different renters can share the same house and having their names in the same contract. It should not be an issue. It's just like a group of students renting an off-campus house altogether.

To make sure, you can ask Opportunities Ontario. They will respond to you within a week.

gypsy.danger

Jul 29, 2014
Thanks Karenv & tee1 on your views.

This is where we are so confused. I mean, we are aware that Common law applications are subjected to so much scrutiny and that it would delay the overall process and we dont want to ruin our chances on getting the PR. It's just that if we applied individually, would the officer suspect of a common law relationship? Personally we have nothing to gain from a common law application as we both qualify. We would prefer to apply individually but don't want to get into issues - I just don't know if they will force the "common law" status on us even if we applied individually.