+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PNP living in one province and working in another?

IsCan

Aug 27, 2012
I have very urgent question.
Is there any problem for a provincial nominee to work in another province than where he has been granted PR, provided his legal residence stays in the sponsoring province, his family (wife and children) lives and works/schools there as well? I assume the person continues to pay all taxes in the sponsoring province.
Can you pleas answer those who know as this is very urgent to know.
Tks much.

IsCan

Aug 27, 2012
The answer is that it is ok for a PR in Canada (PR obtained via PNP or any other way) to have a legal address in one province (in my case the sponsoring province) and work in another province (dwell - for example to rent a room there). One remains a taxpayer in the sponsoring province in this case.

lovely_clouds

Star Member
Nov 2, 2012
Delhi, India
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-Feb-12 (MPNP Online App)
Nomination.....
18-May-12 (MPNP LOA)
AOR Received.
9-Jun-12 (PR CIC, Sydney)
IELTS Request
Already submitted with MPNP
File Transfer...
8-Aug-12
Med's Request
12-Sep-12
Med's Done....
25-Sep-12
Interview........
Already before MPNP Online App (Expl. Visit process)
Passport Req..
12-Sep-12
VISA ISSUED...
3-Dec-12
LANDED..........
15-Jan-13 :)
as per my knowledge, this sometimes creates problem when you apply for citizenship.
imho...you might just need to present your case in more elaborative manner during citizenship.

bihon

Nov 8, 2012
IsCan said:
The answer is that it is ok for a PR in Canada (PR obtained via PNP or any other way) to have a legal address in one province (in my case the sponsoring province) and work in another province (dwell - for example to rent a room there). One remains a taxpayer in the sponsoring province in this case.
Sorry but would you further explain your last sentence please? I am not quite sure I precisesly understand it. What do you mean by 'one'? Does this supose to mean that you continue paying taxes to the sponsoring province whether you are working inside or outside the sponsoring province?

I am also very interested of this question but in case when I am individually getting PR via PNP. So can I work in another province than what the one that provided me with the PR afterwards? I see what the rights of a PR but in case of applying via PNP does it obligate anyhow to keep your PR status after you have been granted? (Not authorized to work in another province or not allowed to work in another occupation what you were practicing when you were granted with PR?)

Thanks in advance!

IsCan

Aug 27, 2012
As far as I understand, after you get PR you can work and live anywhere in Canada. The 6th article of the Bill of Rights (free mobility of people) ensures this. However, it's expected that people honour the "intention" to live in the sponsoring province even though it is not obligatory. It's possible, even though not likely that the immigration might go after someone that does not go to the sponsoring province in the beginning and say they lied on the application for PNP and never "intended" to go there. I think it's rather unlikely though.
On the other hand about my last sentence - I was referring there to live in the sponsoring province, and work in another. The one you live in is where your legal residence is, you have health card, pay taxes etc. Like if you live in Ont and work in Montreal.